Forum
Music talk
 3D waveforms
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Elijah

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25 2004 02:38    
3D waveforms

I was working today and i started thinking of new concepts for music production. all waveforms that we see are 2D from what i gather of it. like a saw wave has very distinct high and low points.

could there be a way to develop waveforms in 3d? would that be surround sound in terms.

curious thinking.

- Elijah
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LoneStar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25 2004 10:34    

Shocked Hehe, interesting idea. Smile

But audio waves (and any other kind of waves) are solely defined by time and amplitude, thus, 2-dimensional. The actual waves are independent from their actual source. What we think of as 3-dimensional in audio, is just the fact that sound sources can be virtually anywhere in the 3-dimensional space around us.
A 3-dimensional mathematical model of a waveform would be completely imaginary.

Greetz
LoneStar
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
CHICAGO¤lollie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25 2004 12:20    

Certainly an interesting thought though... 3rd Dimension Audio...

...typical that it'd probably end up as a heap of static. Rolling Eyes

Martin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25 2004 13:38    

Goldwave has a spectrogram in 3D which is kinda of a cool idea. The depth of the spectrogram is TIME so you can se the the top of the last seconds that has passed. A bit diffucult to explain... Not the same angle that a normal spectrogram has.

What I have thought would be cool is the same kinda of spectrogram but where you could see what is coming instead of what has already passed. Picture a musicvideo where you can see the sound graphicly displayed coming towards you. Could be cool, I think.

If you are into graphics and music - you might already know of the graphiceditor within winamp. It is alot of fun playing around with. With some effort you can even capure it to .avi format and manipulate it even more. Smile

Martin
N0N

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25 2004 15:41    

3d wave forms would be easy, just ad panning, and tada.
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Elijah

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25 2004 16:19    

N0N wrote:
3d wave forms would be easy, just ad panning, and tada.

yah i guess this would be true....

- Elijah
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CHICAGO¤lollie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25 2004 23:43    

Panning can already be achieved in 2D Waveforms though.
I think a 3D Waveform would work on a sort of layer formation, based on perception of distance on recorded sound.

Say you recorded yourself playing the guitar, and halfway through recording, the phone rings in the background. In most cases this would mean a re-record, if the ringing was loud enough to notice, but on terms of 3D Audio, you could just move the "viewpoint" to the ringing, select it, and remove it without any effect on the guitar sound.

This is only in theory though. For such a file to work, you'd need a sort of specifically complicated household microphone system set-up.

Like the name isn't long enough. Confused

D Vibe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26 2004 01:53    

CHICAGO¤lollie wrote:
I think a 3D Waveform would work on a sort of layer formation, based on perception of distance on recorded sound.

Say you recorded yourself playing the guitar, and halfway through recording, the phone rings in the background. In most cases this would mean a re-record, if the ringing was loud enough to notice, but on terms of 3D Audio, you could just move the "viewpoint" to the ringing, select it, and remove it without any effect on the guitar sound.

This is only in theory though. For such a file to work, you'd need a sort of specifically complicated household microphone system set-up.

I would like to see that microphone Smile

Dudes, make music instead of getting into too technical shit Smile

/Daniel

https://www.dvibe.se
N0N

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26 2004 03:45    

I know in madtrackers sample view, I've gotten some files that look like they're 3d, when zoomed out, but after I zoom in its 2d.

Elijah

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26 2004 19:00    

c-frog wrote:
CHICAGO¤lollie wrote:

I would like to see that microphone Smile

Dudes, make music instead of getting into too technical shit Smile

/Daniel

Dude. Im merely provoking thought. this presents opportunities to become a more creative thinker, which could then be reflected in making music.

chicago. that is brilliant.

i really wonder if its possible....

non. yah. some waves look like they turn in a spiral sometimes... its interesting. velocities i think. perhaps this is how one would take out ambient noise. killing the dots closer to zero?.

- Elijah
Walter Vos

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26 2004 19:22    

No, it wouldn't be possible. There would be some room ambience in the place where the phone is, and there would be some phone in the place where the guitar is. So you'll still have something.

Oh btw, i've already seen 3D microphones.

what is hip?

www.waltervos.nl
Elijah

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26 2004 20:20    

Walter Vos wrote:
No, it wouldn't be possible. There would be some room ambience in the place where the phone is, and there would be some phone in the place where the guitar is. So you'll still have something.

Oh btw, i've already seen 3D microphones.

really. do you what do they do? create 3d waveforms?

- Elijah
Walter Vos

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26 2004 21:58    

Hahaha, i think not. They have multiple membrames (i thought, i'll read up on this) I assume every membrame goes to a different channel, for surround use.

what is hip?

www.waltervos.nl
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26 2004 22:34    

I definately dig Lollie's idea. If that was possible, you could do *amazing* things with editing recordings. The x-axis would be frequency, y-axis the volume, and z axis the location in space. There should be an additional marker that indicates the location of the listener. Editing would imply that you can drag and drop pieces of sound concerning location, volume and frequency. It could also help greatly with removing noise and elements in music.

Someone code me such a tool! I'll give you a Gmail invite and a picture of me back when I was three and sitting on the beach half-naked!

Inge

Care for a game of Monopoly?
Elijah

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27 2004 02:52    

Inge wrote:
I definately dig Lollie's idea. If that was possible, you could do *amazing* things with editing recordings. The x-axis would be frequency, y-axis the volume, and z axis the location in space. There should be an additional marker that indicates the location of the listener. Editing would imply that you can drag and drop pieces of sound concerning location, volume and frequency. It could also help greatly with removing noise and elements in music.

Someone code me such a tool! I'll give you a Gmail invite and a picture of me back when I was three and sitting on the beach half-naked!

Inge

i think i should get a gmail invite for starting this thought-provoking thread Razz

- Elijah
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 2 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next