MadTracker.org
Forum - MadTracker's 'Tip of the Day' needs your tips!
 Forum
Help and support
 MadTracker's 'Tip of the Day' needs your tips!
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
LogicDeLuxe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14 2004 12:51    

Idea The human perception barely can recognize loudness changes less then 3 dB, but EQ'ing a band about 1 dB can make much of a difference. Make sure your system has a responce as linear as possible before EQ'ing anything!

Idea When comparing a hardlimited signal to its source, always compare it at the same loudness, ie. don't limit and boost at the same time!

Idea There are plenty of free VST-plugins around on the net.

Idea Hard panned instruments without a reverb, stereo delay or some binaural processing sound awfull through headphones. Those effects can make your pan happy song sound much more natural, as long as you don't overuse them.
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
Elijah

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15 2004 01:29    
Genre tips...

Idea Practice....

Idea When you are TRYING to achieve a certain genre it's best to study that certain genre from different established producers and get a feel for how that genre is made, and you must practice in order to get good at any genre. Also dont get the idea that you are going to copy anybody or that studying from established artists is uncreative! Your style will come through once you get the feel of it down.

Idea PRACTICE and DONT GET DISCOURAGED!!!! Music is a discovery of yourself in all terms. You must keep at it in order to let your style start to show.

Idea Did i mention PRACTICE?

- Elijah
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
XinetdD

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17 2004 10:24    

Exclamation Give your ears a break, dont work to much on high volumes as this could damage your ears.
Exclamation If mastering, rather leave it to the next day, so your ears will be fresh!
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17 2004 16:00    

Idea before you label your track as "finished", take a weeks break from listening to it, then come back and listen again. If it still sounds good, go for the release, if not, start changing

Idea use only one sample / channel. This way it will be easier to mix/EQ later on, or export to separate tracks if needed. With 64+8 channels in Madtracker, you shouldn't run out immediately at least.

Idea the second you put a sample or FX on a channel, label the channel to something (descriptive of course). The second you remove a sample from a channel and you are certain no other samples/notes are on that channel, remove the label. That way you'll always know which channels are empty and which not.

Idea route your track FX whenever possible, it will save CPU cycles. If you have a lot of channels that use the same FX, put the FX on a empty channel and route to that one.

Idea group your instruments from the start. I.E. I always keep the 16 first channels reserved for drums+percussions+bass+channel FX, then start adding other stuff after channel 16. That way I always know where to find the drums, the leads etc.
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
LogicDeLuxe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17 2004 20:00    

Sunbuster wrote:
Idea before you label your track as "finished", take a weeks break from listening to it, then come back and listen again. If it still sounds good, go for the release, if not, start changing
For this, it might help listening to your song in rotation with some other well mastered songs (adjusted to the same perceived loudness if necessary) of a similar style.
Elijah

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18 2004 01:33    

LogicDeLuxe wrote:
Sunbuster wrote:
For this, it might help listening to your song in rotation with some other well mastered songs (adjusted to the same perceived loudness if necessary) of a similar style.

yes... this is the best tip so far.

Post this one in caps.

- Elijah
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
N0N

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18 2004 09:41    

Shame on you Dont crap your pants if you loose parts, it happens, even loosing whole songs. Always remember music is infinite and their are plenty of different feelings to explore, so don't let a failed try stop you from being creative.

ok maybe thats not a good tip but I tried.

Idea In the IRC / Status window were #Perform is located, under it you can type various things to be performed when you connect to Madtracker's IRC. example: /join #madtracker

Idea When sitting down to write a song with no ideas or directions were to go, just place one note of something you like, then another, keep doing it and soon you will have a song.

Idea Don't forget to wash your hands after you goto the bathroom, your keyboard will stink less Wink .

Idea I once thought placing note cuts across all the tracks was going to take forever, and only using the arrows and capslock would have. But using TAB and Shift+TAB makes moving around the tracks quiet easy and quick.

Idea Don"t be afraid to learn Madtrackers shortcut key sequences, write them down and put them somewere easily seen, they could save you from some extra work.
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22 2004 00:24    

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaight! I just got my hands on the new beta, which includes the 'tip of the day' box. Trust me: it's very nice to see all those serious (and funny) comments, and Yannick and I firmly believe that they can really help new (and existing!) users.

So keep 'em coming, because no joy is sweeter than to see yourself being quoted by a music program that is used by thousands Smile

[apart from video's from your neighbourgirl and her best girlfriend. but that's a thing we - sadly - can't integrate into MadTracker.]

Inge

Care for a game of Monopoly?
Jesse Moore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22 2004 01:17    

Inge wrote:

[apart from video's from your neighbourgirl and her best girlfriend. but that's a thing we - sadly - can't integrate into MadTracker.]

Inge

I'm sure if he really wanted to do it, Yannick would find a way!

"The world would be a dull place if there were no Idealists"
D Vibe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22 2004 11:58    

Idea Making tracks while drinking alcohol can heavily effect your sense of what is bad or good, but can for sure give quite funny results when you listen to it the day after.

Oookay, better stop now Very Happy

https://www.dvibe.se
N0N

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23 2004 18:08    

Arrow Shift + Left Mouse Click on a Privet message tab will close it.

Rolling Eyes Possably the dumbest questions are the ones not asked, so vist Madtrackers forum and community to seek enlightenment.

Exclamation WARNING use of this product may impare your ability to drive at night.

Twisted Evil This is a stickup.. Naw, just playing.

Idea It's best to keep all your instruments within an arms reach away and practice picking them up and setting them down. You don't want to get lazy and not add an idea when it's there, just becaues you don't want to get or pick up your instruments.

Very Happy It's time to sing the practice song.
Prac,tice Prac,tice P..R..A..C..ahh,tice song, YAY Applause Dancing .

Think BRAIN STORM.... Well I don't know about the rest of you but I like to beat box, and use whatever crazy illogical sounds that come from my mouth to get ideas with some songs. Point is find someway you can release ideas easily and simply.

Exclamation Fear the hidden creature in the Madtracker Help..
(p.s. there should be a hidden creature picture in the madtracker help file..If I provide one or someone does would it be considered?,, err if not this doenst need to be added, I just thought It might get people looking into it.. but its got to be somewhat hard to find... oh I know lollies rabbit with a pancake on its head, lol that was awsome)

Ok, I'm done, I know most of these are pointless but oh well, it can't hurt.

Last edited by N0N on Sat Jan 01 2005 02:35; edited 1 time in total
Elijah

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23 2004 21:50    

N0N wrote:
Arrow Shit + Left Mouse Click on a Privet message tab will close it.

you may prefer to put 'shift' in the did you know file, yannick, not 'shit'.

anyways i had a good one. but i forget now.

- Elijah
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23 2004 23:08    

Right. I've revised the current list, and happy with them. Any more?

[To emphasize that you should note your tips now: there ain't *that* much time left Smile]

Inge

Care for a game of Monopoly?
N0N

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24 2004 05:53    

haha, oops my bad.
Comatose

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01 2005 15:17    

Is it too late to add something?

Comatose
View user's journal Send private message