MadTracker.org
Forum - Podpalic Swiat -  my kickin' ass track :)
 Forum
Music talk
 Podpalic Swiat - my kickin' ass track :)
Reply to topic Post new topic  
XnmE

PostPosted: Thu May 08 2003 19:26    
Podpalic Swiat - my kickin' ass track :)

XnmE
presents
Podpalic Swiat (Set the world on fire)

Fast, melodic death metal track with my death/black vocals. Solo is recorded by Cadaver. Song is written in MadTracker 2, this is a .mt2 version for source format lovers (previous edit was released as .mp3 for the masses Smile)

Now I'm going to stop composing this kind of songs (this one is older then The Cage) I hope my next releases will be not such aggresive. The Cage is a good example.

As usual song is based on guitar mutisamples. Only solo and vocals are recorded parts!

format: mt2
URL: [url=http://lysis.audio-stream.net/xnme/XnmE-Podpalic_Swiat_(second_edit).rar]Podpalic Swiat[/url]
download size: 4.58 MB
time: 3:36
tempo: 180 BPM Smile

Lirycs are included in package but...

Set the world on fire
(translation by Cooth)

I have come to set the world on fire,
But the world is burning already.
I have emerged to give you death,
But it's already lulls you.
I wished to pour hatred
Into your hearts, but you have no hearts.
I've brought you a jug of pestilence,
But a poison flows already in your veins.

I'm crying
As I have nothing for you.
I had such a great gift
And it's all for nothing
What can i give you?

I wanted so much to give you war
But it's too late!
I wanted so much to present you lie,
But all is false here
I thought i would give you greed,
I am late!
I thought I would give you lust...

I'm crying
As I have nothing for you.
I had such a great gift
And it's all for nothing
What can i give you?

Then burn!
Then die!
Burn!

Enjoy, feedback welcome!

XnmE

Music Is ThE GatE
---------------------
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Thu May 08 2003 22:52    
Re: Podpalic Swiat - my kickin' ass track :)

XnmE wrote:

Then burn!
Then die!
Burn!

Well, atleast you got some happy lyrics to get the masses partying all night long... Laughing

Nice thing to see that metal still can be made in MT. When I just started with ft2, I was about 16 and always wanted to make metal myself. I sampled fear factory and pantera (both my personal winners of the grand award for 'fattest guitar sound ever'), and made *terrible* tunes with it. What multi-sampling? Wink

Will listen the song tomorrow...I'm just happy to see how versatile trackers are concerning possible styles. All I'm still looking for is decent classical music in a tracker.

Inge

Care for a game of Monopoly?
vfgdfg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06 2003 19:20    

Hello.

I've listened your songs in the music section.
This one is better than ones there (In terms of how it sounds, I don't mean the actual song, since this isn't quite my type of metal). There is a little empty "gap" in the beginning of the ride sample which makes it sound bad, especially the very beginning where you hear only the ride and can clearly detect the small pause between the hits. Remove the gap and it sounds better. Different ride might be even better. Also maybe different snare, this one doesn't have the neccessary power and sounds bit bad imo.

And the most important of all: Do not sequence guitars, atleast when you can hear that it doesn't work, because most of the time it doesn't.
The solo guitar thing in track 04 for instance works suprisingly well so there are exceptions.
Apart from the intro, when the singing kicks in, the song sounds to me quite industry stuff (not tracked), but when pattern 07 kicks in, it falls a part a bit. It's just that you can't usually sequence guitars, it sounds so much different when you play the whole thing as one and chuck it in as one long sample. At this particular case, you can clearly hear this
E-4 6

E-4 6

E-4 6
thing going on there.

Singing sounds great for this type of music, I personally don't like this style very much but basicly if I heard this song radio I wouldn't guess it's tracked if some of the guitars would be complete riff-samples.
Mixing is very good too imo.

I'm actually really starting to like the song when I've listened it while writing.
My music taste is bit different, nu-metalish, deftones, tool, bizkit, mudvayne, system of a down, etc. This music is very different from that but it's still metal.
Imo "Metal has nothing to do with trackers" in the poll in the other thread is bullshit.

Keep on the good work.
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
vfgdfg

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07 2003 11:08    

Hey again.

There's something I didn't think about yesterday when I was writing.
Not everyone has a guitar of their own. So recording complete riffs is bit hard in that case.

Well. Hmm.
The problem is that the
E-4 6

E-4 6

E-4 6
with the palm mute sample sounds the same with every hit. This is why you can clearly hear that it is a same palm mute sample played over and over again. With real playing, every hit sounds bit different.
This btw. applies to drums too but most of the time you get away with one snare. But for example MoTi's compo song has several snare samples, which is one of the reasons the drums sound so great.
Well anyway. Maybe one way to go would be several palm mute samples I dunno.
Or Maybe Yannick should implement some effect which makes palm mute sample sound different with different parameters, yes, Yannick do that!Smile
XnmE

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07 2003 13:13    

Hello.
First of all, thanx for review!

This gap in ride part is because of 'blastbeat' (fast toms) Real drummer can't play ride and toms at the same time.

Guitar sequencing is my only way to track metal, coz i don't play guitar myself, i use to do it years ago but im not good at it and i have crappy equipment.

Tracked guitar sounds a bit synthetic - yes, especially palmmuted notes, but it's just 'tracked' metal, it can't sound like real band ;( Of course some of metaltrackers record whole riffs, but they must be good players.
Synhetic music will always sound better in trackers than rock/metal stuff... but sometimes tracking is only way to express ourselfs, so keep on tracking (no matter which kind of music! Smile

Thanx for feedback again!

PS
if you want to make every note sound a bit different, you can use sample offset 9xx (ft2 command) But it's just half-measure Smile

Music Is ThE GatE
---------------------
Vile
User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07 2003 22:39    

XnmE... The legendary tracker, my guru Smile
I haven't listened to this one yet, actually. But I bet it's less brutal than my one i've sent to you, friend Wink ...But i bet your track sounds great...
My one is...
http://lysis.audio-stream.net/xnme/Vile-Shadows_Of_My_Mind.mp3

-------------------------------------
LaRD iN CHoCoLaTE iS THe SouRCe
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail
vfgdfg

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08 2003 10:41    

XnmE wrote:

This gap in ride part is because of 'blastbeat' (fast toms) Real drummer can't play ride and toms at the same time.

I mean the small gap in the sample itself. It's not that bad really, you can only hear it in the first pattern.
The missing ride hits while tom fills is good thing.
I usually leave rides/hihats away from crash hits too but it's possible to hit them really (especially with rides) so I guess that's just me:)

XnmE wrote:

Guitar sequencing is my only way to track metal, coz i don't play guitar myself, i use to do it years ago but im not good at it and i have crappy equipment.

Ok. This honestly didn't occur to me when I was writing, sorry for that. I've had guitar(s) for several years myself (although the current one is still a piece of shit), I'm not very good at playing it, I bought in the first place to do guitar samples. Later on I started to do just complete guitar riffs with it. Sometimes I combine things to make it one riff but that's another story.

XnmE wrote:

Tracked guitar sounds a bit synthetic - yes, especially palmmuted notes, but it's just 'tracked' metal, it can't sound like real band ;(

Well in this particular song I think the only problem is the palm mute sample, if it had maybe several mute samples you couldn't say it's tracked if you didn't see it rolling in mt2.

XnmE wrote:

Of course some of metaltrackers record whole riffs, but they must be good players.

You need to be able to play guitar yes. I'm not a guitarist though, I used to be a drummer but those days are gone and it's btw. amazing how crappy I play them now if I sit down on a set. I've been happy tracking stuff, you can do stuff you could never do with a real band.

XnmE wrote:

if you want to make every note sound a bit different, you can use sample offset 9xx (ft2 command) But it's just half-measure Smile

Yes but I'm not sure if it helps with palm mutes.
It would probably work in the first pattern of the song to get rid of the gap if you wouldn't want to remove it from the sample and also to get the hits sounds bit different.

XnmE wrote:

Synhetic music will always sound better in trackers than rock/metal stuff... but sometimes tracking is only way to express ourselfs, so keep on tracking (no matter which kind of music! Smile

Yes, let's all do this.
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08 2003 14:01    

My goodness...this song is impossible to download! This is my fifth (!) attempt with my trustworthy but old 56k6, but now I'm at 96% and this time it's gonna work Wink This song better has to be *very* good, cause it costed me way too much work to acquire it Very Happy

(had to voice my frustration Wink)

I'll get back at the tune asap.

Inge

XnmE

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08 2003 17:33    

Downloaded succesfully?

Music Is ThE GatE
---------------------
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09 2003 09:54    

Yes. I'll post my review which should also appear in the music section here, so you (or anyone else interested can respond to it)

Expanding limits

Rating: very good.

XNME does something that I always wanted to do back in my 'old'-days, namely sequencing metal on an electronic format. I used to sample individual guitar-touches from Pantera, Fear Factory and Life Of Agony, made new melodies in FT2 and programmed beats, bass and so forth. When I listening it now, all I can think is: pathetic. Does that mean that sequencing a specific 'analogue' music style in a digital format isn't possible? A strong and powerful 'no' may be answered. Xnme does a pretty amazing job with his Podpalic Swiat, and works around the limitations of programming instruments rather good.

Tracking instruments has distinct limitations. For instance, normally every guitar touch is unique, since every string is touched every time with a different intensity, power and feeling. Sampling one chord and using that to program a melody will always result in a rather static and non-energetic feeling. The same goes for bass guitar and drums. Xnme didn't solve this problem, but just did the best within the given borders of possibilities. This melodic metal song (which reminded me of Metallica, In Flames, Slayer and so forth) shows everything I never was able to make, and furthermore showcases a good talent for structure, melodies and feeling for this style of music.

The vocals are beautiful. I love the double-layered combination of aggressive grunts and clean vocals. This hybrid of voices gives a vivid, powerful touch to the song, and is mixed very well into the whole spectrum of the sound. Solo the channel of the vocals, and you'll be amazed how good they sound (even though they are mono/22khz). The classic double guitars are also splendid. Full, hard and natural is the main feeling I get. Of course there's this 'synthetic' characteristic of the guitars, since (although multisampled) every touch is identical. Due to the fast variation in melody this doesn't bother the overall sound much. The bass guitar could use a bit more accent, since it sounds too clean and to dull. Some more high frequenty might have been added, and distortion would also benefit its appearance. The same goes for the kickdrum, but the overall drums sound natural and constructive for the song.

As for the song as a whole part: very good is all I can say. I never heard anything like this in the field of tracked music, so I can't compare it to other tracked metal-songs, but this song is just plain good. Good overall balance, much variation, a catching main melody and an overall feeling of strength and speed characterize Podpalic Swiat.
Very good. This really shows how broad tracking can go. From what I've read on internet, Xnme belongs to the upperclass of tracking metal-musicians. This song shows why.

Inge

XnmE

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09 2003 15:38    

Thanx for Your big review Inge! I remember your downloading troubles and I'm glad that the song appears to be worth getting for You Smile
Thanx for a nice words.

Music Is ThE GatE
---------------------
QBical

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10 2003 12:11    

Quote:

well I can give some input on this one, you are right btw about the drummer, but in rl it sounds different.
A cymbal will keep on 'vibrating' a long time after the thing has been hit, and even the vibration of the previous hit contiunes after the second hit, so your problem should be solved by using a longer ride sample and setting it to continue in the NNA dropdown menu in the instrument window...

Maby a bit reverb on it would also do the trick...

PC: P4 HT 3ghz, 1gb ram, 500GB+ Storage, plextor DVD-rw, M-audo Audiophile 2496
Laptop: Apple Powerbook G4 15inch
Other Stuff: Phonic MU802 mixer, Alesis M1 Active Mk2 Monitors, Ipod 2nd gen. 20GB, maxtor firewire HD 80GB
Pjo2000

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11 2003 07:36    

Nice work XnmE,

I would love to hear a metal band play this song at a concert or something, just to get that full feel of it, you know.

Kudos to you for having the balls to use guitar multi-samples to get your idea accross. Its got to be one of the hardest styles to replicate authenticly in a tracker enviroment, without recording real guitars (like me) and making the file size huge.

I like the vocals, nicely done. You have heard a few of my tracks.. you know I am big on hard hitting vox. They really stand out and make the song.

cheers

Pjo2000

http://www.projectoverkill.com
XnmE

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11 2003 09:53    

Thanx Pjo!

Thanx Qbical... you're right.

Music Is ThE GatE
---------------------
Reply to topic Post new topic