Forum
General discussion
 MadTracker 2.5 overview article
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17 2004 21:29    
MadTracker 2.5 overview article

Since quite a lot of changes will be implemented into MadTracker 2.5 (compared to 2.3.2), I've written a promotional changelog. It's not final yet (how can such a thing be final if the product it's describing isn't even final yet?), but it does give a nice idea of how it will look in the final edition.

You can read this overview article here.

I would be most pleased to hear any feedback on this document. Positive or negative(*), all is much appreciated.

Inge

(*): negative feedback will - ofcourse - result in an immediate IP ban.

Care for a game of Monopoly?

Last edited by Inge on Sun Oct 17 2004 22:30; edited 1 time in total
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17 2004 21:45    
Re: MadTracker 2.5 overview article

Inge wrote:

fixed the link Anxious *awaits IP ban*

EDIT:

the feedback:

yes, you've got some good promotional text there. Nice punchlines, or hidden humor, or whatever you should call it. Easy to read, not too long. The text style in general could work well as promotional text for Madtracker.

Do you plan on publishing this text on any non-madtracker site? because if not, then I don't quite see the point in preaching for the already converted with this highly promotional text. If yes, then I think it should cover all bigger features of madtracker (such as 64ch + 8 drum ch, and built in ch effects), and not just the changes from 2.32 to 2.5.

next thing is the order of the items in the list, perhaps they should be prioritized a bit differently? For instance, I wouldn't say the IRC client is of higher priority than the MIDI out function Wink
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17 2004 22:35    
Re: MadTracker 2.5 overview article

Sunbuster wrote:
Inge wrote:

fixed the link Anxious *awaits IP ban*

Wiseguy. You know what? I'll just ban entire Finland. Puh!

Sunbuster wrote:
the feedback:

yes, you've got some good promotional text there. Nice punchlines, or hidden humor, or whatever you should call it. Easy to read, not too long. The text style in general could work well as promotional text for Madtracker.

Thanks mate.

*removes IP ban*

[Atleast for Northern Finland. Let's not overrush things.]

Sunbuster wrote:

Do you plan on publishing this text on any non-madtracker site? because if not, then I don't quite see the point in preaching for the already converted with this highly promotional text. If yes, then I think it should cover all bigger features of madtracker (such as 64ch + 8 drum ch, and built in ch effects), and not just the changes from 2.32 to 2.5.

Good question. Thing is: composers tend to move back and forth between different programs. It's hard to define the exact pre-knowledge of potential readers. The official target is to explain to existing users what MadTracker 2.5 can do when compared to 2.3.2, but I kept in mind that non-users will read along the lines to check what's new. It's about finding balance. Feedback on that is much appreciated.

Sunbuster wrote:

next thing is the order of the items in the list, perhaps they should be prioritized a bit differently? For instance, I wouldn't say the IRC client is of higher priority than the MIDI out function Wink

Again: tough one. I agree that the order should be decreasing concerning importance. Feedback on this priority is also much appreciated.

Conclusion: thanks.

*removes last IP ban*

Inge

D Vibe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18 2004 01:14    

You've forgotten that realtime Midi Out exists also; that is, you can use external sound modules / synths with MT2.5.
Though, it's not complete as far as I know Wink

/Daniel

https://www.dvibe.se
Martin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18 2004 13:56    

Hi Inge

Nice text: What I like the best is how you explain what can be done with the new features, not just naming them. I think that will be especially appreciated by readers who are not familiar with Madtracker. However if I had never played with a tracker before, Im pretty sure I would find the sentence below too technical:

assign realtime effect plugins to individual tracks or the master track to transform your imagination into physical sound. Flange, excite, compress, warp, ringmod, limit, maximize, boost, filter and distort without limitations. MadTracker 2.5 enables you to stack multiple effects per track, and to route them for processor-friendly productions

But for people who already are familiar with the tracker it makes sense and is informative. Well done!

Smile
Martin

[/i]
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18 2004 14:02    

c-frog wrote:
You've forgotten that realtime Midi Out exists also; that is, you can use external sound modules / synths with MT2.5.
Though, it's not complete as far as I know Wink

/Daniel

Something that isn't working is hard to use as an advertisement, isn't it? I have never even tried using it. How (dis)functional is?

Inge

D Vibe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18 2004 14:06    

Hmm, it works, but it's very basic. And last time I tried (must've been in RC1) the midi out updated at the same time as the screen updated, which made the midi devices play before the internal digital audio Smile

So, okay, maybe it's not worth mention Very Happy

/Daniel

https://www.dvibe.se
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18 2004 14:08    

Martin wrote:
Hi Inge

Nice text: What I like the best is how you explain what can be done with the new features, not just naming them. I think that will be especially appreciated by readers who are not familiar with Madtracker.

That's what it is all about. Good to hear this!

Martin wrote:

However if I had never played with a tracker before, Im pretty sure I would find the sentence below too technical:

assign realtime effect plugins to individual tracks or the master track to transform your imagination into physical sound. Flange, excite, compress, warp, ringmod, limit, maximize, boost, filter and distort without limitations. MadTracker 2.5 enables you to stack multiple effects per track, and to route them for processor-friendly productions

I am aware of these words not making direct sense. I did this on purpose: it can be appealing to be overwhelmed with possibilities of which you don't even know what they might sound like. It's like being a kid in a foreign candystore: you don't know what it is, but you do know that you may grab as much as you please, and that you can always find out later what it tastes like Smile I might add a final conclusion to make it more comprehensible, such as "To conclude: *everything* is possible" or something similar.

Thanks again for the feedback. I'm always open for more Smile

Inge

Walter Vos

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06 2005 20:54    

Quote:
10: MIDI out
Want to brighten up your environment with your music made in MadTracker? Then export it to MIDI! MadTracker 2.5 offers an instrument-to-instrument mappable export to MIDI function. After uploading the MIDI file to your cellular phone(*), you are ready to rock your friends with your amazing music (**) anywhere, anytime.
From a more productional point of view: exporting to MIDI quickly enables non-MT users to work further with the source material of your song. Ideal for remixing purposes!
**: cellular phone not included
***: results may vary depending on qualities of the composer

the asterixes don't match here. nice article, what is it meant for?

what is hip?

www.waltervos.nl
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07 2005 00:13    

Thanks for the feedback. The asterixes are fixed.

It's meant to give a fast overview of what MadTracker currently stands for in relation to previous versions. The intention was and is to lower the threshold for existing users to make the migration to version 2.5.

Inge

Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT + 1 Hour