Forum
General discussion
 Mastering for online music labels
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Atlantis
User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11 2005 04:07    
Mastering for online music labels

Can anyone perhaps point me in the right direction of commercial online music labels working in conjunction with artists producing electronica, and in particular progressive house and progressive trance music?

For a while now I've had the thought of attempting to contact these sort of companies, in the hope of perhaps being able to do some mastering of releases for a small price compared to what professional engineers charge.

Just looking for something part-time I may be able to pick up while I go back to uni in a few months, both in order to buy a pair of studio monitors at some stage and to broaden my career horizons. Would be a perfect world if such a thing existed, I know, but worth a try at least.

Can anyone point me in a direction, perhaps a label they're familiar with and/or release for?

Atlantis [Atlantean Records]

multiband professor/eq professor/Nur-Ab-Sal
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Yannick
MadTracker Author

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11 2005 10:27    

I don't really know any label, but whoever you contact, you should wrap things in a nice way. For instance, make a sort of portfolio, burn it on CD and send it out to the label with a letter which explains your motivations - just like you'd do for a "standard" job request.
Also, if the label is a relatively big one, make sure they can hire you legally. Wink

Yannick
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
Atlantis
User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11 2005 13:24    

Yannick wrote:
I don't really know any label, but whoever you contact, you should wrap things in a nice way. For instance, make a sort of portfolio, burn it on CD and send it out to the label with a letter which explains your motivations - just like you'd do for a "standard" job request.
Also, if the label is a relatively big one, make sure they can hire you legally. Wink

Yannick

Thanks for the advice, Yannick. I'll be sure not to rush into things, and probably actually upload an A/B demo of previous tracks I've mixed and/or mastered before I send out applications.

View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Yannick
MadTracker Author

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11 2005 13:31    

Sending something that one can touch (a CD with a letter) will certainly get a lot more attention than an e-mail. It shows you put time and motivation, and cannot be ignored like an e-mail.

Yannick
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
Atlantis
User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11 2005 16:51    

Yannick wrote:
Sending something that one can touch (a CD with a letter) will certainly get a lot more attention than an e-mail. It shows you put time and motivation, and cannot be ignored like an e-mail.

Yannick

I suppose that's true. But I'd have to get permission from the artists I've mastered tracks for, and I just want to provide a 1-minute or so long A/B mix anyway rather than a whole CD. Sure, in the future if I want to apply to much bigger labels it would be better, but for the much smaller labels I'm aiming for now I don't think it would matter too much, and I don't have the time and money for such a large-scale application procedure anyway.

Well, maybe you're right. So far I've contacted two labels already by email, and I'll see what comes out of that.

Walter Vos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11 2005 16:53    

Why not offer some people free mastering, in exchange for the right to send it to the labels?

what is hip?

www.waltervos.nl
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Atlantis
User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12 2005 02:34    

Walter Vos wrote:
Why not offer some people free mastering, in exchange for the right to send it to the labels?

That's what I've been doing for the last six months or so, only I'd really only advertised it on CTG Music.

But if I keep doing that then I can never buy the Dynaudio BM5A studio monitors I need. Sad

Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT + 1 Hour