General discussion
 Realtime sound modification/creation
Reply to topic Post new topic  
syncopate
User

PostPosted: Sun May 22 2005 20:34    
Realtime sound modification/creation

Hi,

I'm working on a sound project and need some input and ideas from people who a familiar with "unusual" ways of dealing with (digital) sounds: Like everyone of you out there Wink

What is it about?
I'm looking for programs which are controlled by midi-input and can -somehow- modify or create sounds.
I don't think of classic synthesizers which generate just one "instrument". I want a piece of software with which I can literally "play" with sounds in realtime (whatever this means: from cut-off filters to speed-mods).

Background:
I think this will help you understand:
I developed an "optical midi interface": At the current state, it's possible to change midi-controller values by moving a bright object in front of a camera. It's like a motion-to-midiController converter (basically you could compare it to Sonys EyeToy; control Music Software by your body-movements)

I experimented with NI Reaktor as backend and it works.

My goal is to get a cool sound-response for your movements so that children (and people behaving like children Wink ) have maximum fun.

Any ideas?

... Jan
View user's journal Send private message
Tom

PostPosted: Sun May 22 2005 21:02    

If I have an idea one day I will not tell you! Wink

Tom

against software piracy...
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Sun May 22 2005 21:19    

Apart from Reaktor I have no clue. The project sounds interesting nevertheless. I saw some footage some months ago from some guys who did something similar: they made music by twisting cubes that were placed on a sensitive platform. I'll see if I can dig up the url somehwere.

But if you're the Syncopate that once made 'Daylight', can you then send the .xm to inge@madtracker.org? I love the song, namely, but lost the file somewhere. I now only have a badly encoded 128 kbit mp3, which was dubbed from an MD. Thanks!

Inge

Care for a game of Monopoly?
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
syncopate
User

PostPosted: Sun May 22 2005 21:33    

You've got mail...
technoid
Regular

PostPosted: Mon May 23 2005 02:41    

If you know electronics then you are a 3rd of the way there (and I believe you already are with your optical interface). That way, you could devise electromech/optomech interfaces straight to your 'puter (or via MIDI first). Avantgarde and experimental musicians/scientists are constantly inventing new sorts of electronic musical interfaces. Research is only a Google away. You can also find audio/music-related projects/schematics in electronics magazines. I remember one a decade ago in one magazine that had something similar with light, except it was with photocells/LDRs. As for ideas, try interfacing using resistance, capacitance and inductance/magnetics. Change musical parameters such as pitch, volume, timbre (also ringmod, sync, etc.), filter (subtractive), LFO, intervals, arpeggiation, tempo.

If you want an example of a production-ready new type of instrumental interface, take a look at the Haken Continuum Fingerboard, if you are not aware of it already. It's a combination fretboard, pianokeyboard and theremin, using a 3D-system (generally pitch, timbre and volume dynamics). It's all in MIDI. Comes in short or long board and the price is, well, pretty high. Very Happy

You might be able get some ideas from it for your projects. Also check out some of the audio samples. Pretty amazing. I may be able to help, but my electronics is pretty rusty at the moment.

~techie
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail
spline
User

PostPosted: Mon May 23 2005 23:44    

Sounds very similar to Audiopad:

http://www.jamespatten.com/audiopad/

I would say that most or allmost all vsti synths can generate sounds which you can tweak in realtime by a mididevice.

You just have to connect any of the buttons in that synth to a midicontroller.

I don't know what you are after but most modern musicprograms like Renoise/FLstudio/EnergyXT etc have midilearn. It allows you to load any vsti synth into the program take any controller/modulator in that synth and assign it to a midi input controller.

This way you can use a midicontroller to modulate the sound with filters/pith/lfo´s etc in realtime while playing the sound.

Most of the times you can controll any parameter by a midi input device, so you can controll and change what kind of wavefile is generated by the oscillator in the synth in realtime etc...
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT + 1 Hour