Forum
Music talk
 Does smoking kill the sound.
Reply to topic Post new topic  
em22

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24 2003 00:17    
Does smoking kill the sound.

Okay.

I've just uploaded the second version of my dance floor track. You see even a pefectionist like myself can be totally distorted when smoking too much doobie.

I listend and listend and smoked and smoked and I was very happy once I saved, I felt secure in the fact my new sennheiser headphones will do me justice. They probably did, but I something seems to go wrong.

I loaded the track and noticed the vocals were far too loud and the synth also. I had done a previous version with a different mix, all the mixer were flat and sounded really swish, Im not too sure, or maybe I'm just not stoned. Anyone who smokes, listen to pre smoking, then listen post or mid smoke and see if you hear the difference. Well, its a theory.

Someone please listen and give your opinions of the sound. I think I have totally screwed it, and I know my vocal is a little wonkey, but it adds a live affect. Kinda ;p

em22
View user's journal Send private message
Jesse Moore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24 2003 00:42    

smoking kills more than just the sound Very Happy

I think you are just perceiving it differently after haing smoked a bong.

"The world would be a dull place if there were no Idealists"
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
Pjo2000

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24 2003 01:25    

I dont think you would notice a differenence if you were there expecting to. One of those things that happens without you knowing.

However I dont think your problem is the weed, its mixing on headphones. Headphones are a waste of time.. unless you want to eliminate hiss, or pops and clicks and fix slight timing errors with precision. But thats all they are good for.

As soon as you put those headphones on.. you have eliminated the natural stereo feild and made it Complete stereo. You are then oblivious to Volume issues and Phase cancelling issues and a host of other things.

You see, in a real environment, both your right and left ears can hear the right and left speakers, yet you can still determine what is coming from the left and right. headphones make LEFT be LEFT and RIGHT be RIGHT.. it just cause major problems in the final mix. your ears just dont naturally work in that way. Try doing it on monitors with a flat response, and make sure you are roughly in an equalateral triangle positioned with the speakers:

L|*|------------|*|R

...........(*) you..............

This will always give you a better mix than headphones.

same with mastering.. never ever ever evr under any circumstances master on headphones...

now you can smoke another day Very Happy Very Happy

http://www.projectoverkill.com
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT + 1 Hour