Forum - Easy CTFMON
 Forum
Help and support
 Easy CTFMON
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Magic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27 2003 10:59    
Easy CTFMON

Disclaimer:*Warning I hold no responsablity for any Damage towards your machine*WINDOWSXP ONLY

For those who want to remove CTFMON completly from there machine I have found an easy solution towards this issue - than what was discussed under Yannicks FAQ/
Simply run MSCONFIG from the start menu. Once the MSCONFIG has started click on the Startup Tab of MSCONFIG.
You will see a a selection of configurations ticked. Scroll down till you see ctfmon disable that and reboot.
But I warn you, only do this unless you know exactly what you are doing. Your machine might become unstable.
View user's journal Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Yannick
MadTracker Author

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27 2003 11:10    

Thanks for the additional tip/trick.

(I moved this topic here, which is a more appropriate place. Wink)

Yannick
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
sz1
Beta-Tester

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30 2003 15:33    
Re: Easy CTFMON

That WAS (and still is) already in document, the second method there. And it works with W98 also (with OfficeXP).

Magic wrote:
Disclaimer:*Warning I hold no responsablity for any Damage towards your machine*WINDOWSXP ONLY

For those who want to remove CTFMON completly from there machine I have found an easy solution towards this issue - than what was discussed under Yannicks FAQ/
Simply run MSCONFIG from the start menu. Once the MSCONFIG has started click on the Startup Tab of MSCONFIG.
You will see a a selection of configurations ticked. Scroll down till you see ctfmon disable that and reboot.
But I warn you, only do this unless you know exactly what you are doing. Your machine might become unstable.
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Big Mo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02 2003 23:20    

Magic wrote:

It's a nice trick, but I won't suggest this. I've disabled something before in MsConfig, but after winME started, I got a messagebox which says "Booting in selective mode" or something like that (I don't know the text exactly, mine was in Dutch). You will also get a new folder in the start-menu\programs named "disabled booting files" (again, I don't know exactly) with CTFmon in it. So it's not removed completely from the computer.

I'm running ME with OfficeXP, got the ctfmon-problem, after a search (which actually was removing processes and looking when MadTracker worked again) I removed it from the Windows Registry in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run (which also will completely remove the item from the msconfig-list) and renamed the exefile to ctfmon.ex_ (so that it can't be run anymore).

As Magic said, REALLY watch out editing MSConfig and especially the registry, you can completely jam Windows up, I learned that from experience.
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02 2003 23:32    

Big Mo wrote:
As Magic said, REALLY watch out editing MSConfig and especially the registry, you can completely jam Windows up, I learned that from experience.

Your msconfig can always be stabilized again; just start up in safe mode, and select the programs you've disabled and that cause the instability. As for regedit: there is software to back your registry up (I forgot the names though), and I would always advice such a thing if you're unaware of what you're doing besides following orders from someone else. The X-files learned me not to trust anyone, and my work learned my especially not to trust computer 'experts'...I don't even trust my own advices towards customers Very Happy

Inge

Care for a game of Monopoly?
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Jesse Moore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03 2003 00:28    

I agree with you about the trust issue Inge. I am a freelance computer consultant and I have trouble with "experts"(You know people who may know more than me or the tech manuals). I try to stick to hte manuals wheneverpossible. I just hasd a head to head with somone who has built WAY more computer than I have. I was offering some important advice to the guy and he didn't take it. I told him that I thought he should install the cpu first. He installed it last and thus the big problem began because the heatsink clip wouldn't fit over the cpu socket. this is one cas where "if someone does a foolish thing, and you know it is a foolish thing, you can tell them so. If they continue to do it, then at least the truth is where it needs to be." Needless to say, because the "expert" didn't take my advice, it took three more days get the right part and have another set of "experts" put it in place.

"The world would be a dull place if there were no Idealists"
Big Mo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03 2003 01:02    

Quote:
As for regedit: there is software to back your registry up (I forgot the names though), and I would always advice such a thing if you're unaware of what you're doing besides following orders from someone else.

I'm always backing up the registry myself, it's the most safe way to do that, you know where you're storing it, and you can always put it back, even in dos. I've learnt from my errors Inge. Very Happy

Quote:
The X-files learned me not to trust anyone, and my work learned my especially not to trust computer 'experts'...

You're 100% right. That's why I deleted CTFmon on my own, and not via the Madtracker forum or FAQ.
sz1
Beta-Tester

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03 2003 07:32    

Big Mo wrote:

It's a nice trick, but I won't suggest this. I've disabled something before in MsConfig, but after winME started, I got a messagebox which says "Booting in selective mode" or something like that (I don't know the text exactly, mine was in Dutch). You will also get a new folder in the start-menu\programs named "disabled booting files" (again, I don't know exactly) with CTFmon in it. So it's not removed completely from the computer.

I think that is more safe than wih registry.

And is better not to REMOVE it from the system, but make it NOT RUNNING. And that message does not show up everytime when not wanted.

So that is really the best way.
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Big Mo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03 2003 13:11    

Quote:
And that message does not show up everytime when not wanted.

Then that's new in WinXP, because in ME, it does.
sz1
Beta-Tester

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03 2003 13:33    

Big Mo wrote:
Quote:
And that message does not show up everytime when not wanted.

Then that's new in WinXP, because in ME, it does.

Could be.
Jesse Moore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04 2003 00:57    

Big Mo:

I never had a problem with that selective startup dialog in WinMe. All you have to do is make sure the box is checked inside the dialog that pops up (In english it reads "Never show this again").
If you chekc that box, you wont get the dialog at startup. That is, until the next time you make changes in MSconfig.

"The world would be a dull place if there were no Idealists"
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT + 1 Hour