Forum
Bug report
 MT2.exe process doesn't end
Reply to topic Post new topic  
horojo
User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09 2006 02:21    
MT2.exe process doesn't end

i searched the forum, but couldn't find this mentioned anywhere.

basically, after MT2 is closed, it doesn't seem to be closed. i brought up the task manager after noticing how slow my computer was getting towards the end of each day, and saw that there were 25+ instances of MT2.exe still running - one for each time i'd used the program that day (each using 5-6 megs of memory). since choosing 'end process' doesn't work on these processes, my only choice is to reboot.

i'm running in ASIO mode, if that makes a difference.
View user's journal Send private message
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09 2006 12:01    
Re: MT2.exe process doesn't end

horojo wrote:
i searched the forum, but couldn't find this mentioned anywhere.

basically, after MT2 is closed, it doesn't seem to be closed. i brought up the task manager after noticing how slow my computer was getting towards the end of each day, and saw that there were 25+ instances of MT2.exe still running - one for each time i'd used the program that day (each using 5-6 megs of memory). since choosing 'end process' doesn't work on these processes, my only choice is to reboot.

i'm running in ASIO mode, if that makes a difference.

Which version are you using? Did you make any changes in the configuration of MadTracker? What version of Windows do you use? Which processor (AMD / Intel) and what version of it do you have?

Care for a game of Monopoly?
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
horojo
User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10 2006 02:34    

Inge wrote:
Which version are you using?

Whichever one's on the download page - I only downloaded it a few days back. I also have the program set to tell me if there's a new version available, and nothing's come up there.

Sorry, I'm not at home right now, so i can't tell you the exact version number.

Inge wrote:
Did you make any changes in the configuration of MadTracker?

Sure. Nothing too drastic, though - basically whatever I could do to make it more like FT2: there were a few boxes that I ticked on the main config screen. I also changed the default sound device to 'Creative ASIO.' Other than changing the default paths for the different file types, I don't think there was anything else. Oh, I told it to show zeroes, though I think this was after I first started having the problem.

Inge wrote:
What version of Windows do you use?

XP; fully up-to-date.

Inge wrote:
Which processor (AMD / Intel) and what version of it do you have?

It's an AMD Barton XP2500+. I'm not sure what you mean by which version, sorry.

A friend of mine who uses MT2 apparently had this problem a while back (not sure when exactly) - unfortunately, he can't remember how he fixed it.

Anyway, thanks in advance. :] :]

(Oh, and I'm not sure if it's a bug or not - but when working with a module in FT2 mode, there are instrument options greyed out that shouldn't be. The ability to tune your instruments and adjust their default volume was definitely in FT2, but it's not here. Perhaps I have a faulty installation? Or is it supposed to be this way?)
Yannick
MadTracker Author

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10 2006 09:46    

horojo wrote:
(Oh, and I'm not sure if it's a bug or not - but when working with a module in FT2 mode, there are instrument options greyed out that shouldn't be. The ability to tune your instruments and adjust their default volume was definitely in FT2, but it's not here. Perhaps I have a faulty installation? Or is it supposed to be this way?)

These options are just located elsewhere in FT mode. Check the sample properties instead of the instrument properties.

As for the process being locked, this is a known issue with ASIO. I've yet to figure out why it happens.
In the mean time, you can use another audio device in MT.

Yannick
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
QBical

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10 2006 11:14    

hmm maby it's the soundcard, with my M-audio asio I don't have any problems...

PC: P4 HT 3ghz, 1gb ram, 500GB+ Storage, plextor DVD-rw, M-audo Audiophile 2496
Laptop: Apple Powerbook G4 15inch
Other Stuff: Phonic MU802 mixer, Alesis M1 Active Mk2 Monitors, Ipod 2nd gen. 20GB, maxtor firewire HD 80GB
horojo
User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10 2006 11:55    

Yeah, just a sec - I'll try it with my Echo MIA. I can't be bothered finding all the cables and plugging it in (it's been ages since I've done 'professional' music stuff), but I'll at least be able to see if this problem occurs.

Hmm. That seems to have solved it - I just opened and closed it heaps of times, and while there's still one MT2.exe running, that's probably because 'Creative ASIO' was selected the first time.

Well, I guess that means MT2 has a problem with the Audigy 2 ZS ASIO drivers (but not MIA). I know Creative's ASIO is pretty crappy, but I've never had problems like this with it. Is this something fixable, or out of the MT2 devs' hands?

For now, I think I'll keep using Creative ASIO (unless I can get Directsound to work well) and rebooting more often - as you may have guessed from my first post, I like to track in very short bursts, and I'd rather not have to re-plug all my cables for each burst. :]

But thankyou! At least now I know the problem. And thanks for the instrument/sample editing info too. Smile

Last edited by horojo on Mon Jul 10 2006 11:59; edited 1 time in total
Yannick
MadTracker Author

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10 2006 11:58    

Indeed, that problem only happens with Creative/EMU ASIO drivers.

Yannick
horojo
User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10 2006 12:03    

Curses. Crying or Very sad

Nevertheless, since you're here - thanks for the program! I like it a lot; I don't have to have an awkwardly-configured DOS partition (and three soundcards) anymore. :]
Yannick
MadTracker Author

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10 2006 12:10    

You're welcome Smile

Yannick
horojo
User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10 2006 12:19    

[23:15] me: yeah apparently that mt2.exe staying in the task manager is a problem with creative's asio drivers
[23:15] me: and emu's
[23:15] me: and the mt2 guy has no idea what causes it
[23:16] friend: hehe
[23:16] friend: well it works for me now
[23:16] friend: dunno what i've changed
[23:16] me: do you use creative/emu?
[23:16] friend: emu
[23:16] me: sir i hope you explode in some kind of a bloody mass

Shocked
AzureKevin
User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16 2006 02:27    
same problem

I've noticed a similar problem. Madtracker won't close properly when I have it set on ASIO mode. After I "close" it, I have to go into task manager and manually shut it down from there.

Another problem with ASIO mode I've encountered is that the wave export feature does not function correctly. It dumps a wave file that is corrupt.
Haruspex
User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24 2006 09:06    

I found a way for mt2.exe process to not stuck at background and even the taskmanager doesnt end it on creative asio mode.At least that was happening to me before.I close madtracker as usual and the mt2.exe process still running in the background.Task manager end process simply didnt help.

So here is the solution

First in order to solve you must kill a certain audigy process so it wont start together with windows.

The process is CTEaxSpl.EXE

Unfortunately the msconfig start up doesnt show this process!I disabled with TuneUp Utilities 2006 and the process show like this "Creative Audigy EAX" in tuneup.This process doesnt seem to have any negative effect on the soundcard.I disabled about 2 weeks ago and i dont have any kind of problem.Actually this process also disables the annoying creative splash screen and/or the creative startup sound.

I am 100% sure that this process can be disabled via regedit without the use of an external program like tuneup utilities but unfortunately i dont know the registry entry.Someone more experience with this stuff can find it in seconds.

It might disable also the EAX functions of the card but i am not sure about that.Actually i never used the EAX functions.So you can try if you use EAX in some games to see if this process disable this function but to be honest i doubt it...But of course you never know.

Also this doesnt completely fix the problem.Actually when you close madtracker the process still hangs in the background but you can disable completely with task manager this time with no problems.

Finally my pc specs

Win xp pro sp2
512 mb ram
msi k7n2 nforce2 ultra 400
amd sempron 2400
geforce 6600
Madtracker 2.6.1
audigy player 1 (i hope this fix applies to all audigy series and not just the 1st)

So if anyone uses the creative asio and has this problem he can try this and hope he can fix the problem temporarely until Yannick comes with a real solution.

Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT + 1 Hour