Forum - Multiple Stereo Output
 Forum
Suggestions
 Multiple Stereo Output
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Sourfly

PostPosted: Thu May 18 2006 17:28    
Multiple Stereo Output

I have just read through the topics, and this idea was no where to be found, which surprised me ...

ANYWAY,

I own an M-Audio firewire 4-10 soundcard, which of course
has multiple outputs. I can send to each of these outputs easily in pairs, two at a time. But I would like to be able
to assign/group tracks to different outputs on the soundcard.

I've been hoping for some time now, that this feature would appear in an update, or it is already supported and haven't found the trick.

Thoughts Question

-SOURFLYGUY
View user's journal Send private message
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Thu May 18 2006 19:26    

Some clarification: You want to send a signal to an individual output on you soundcard? For instance, send the output of channel 1 in MT to output 3 on your soundcard, instead of having to send it to outputs 3 and 4? I don't think this is possible right now, and I agree with you that it should be possible. If you for instance would want to send a particular channel to some external hardware FX that accepts mono signals, what use would it be to use two outputs? Problem is, there would have to be a live stereo-mono conversion inside MadTracker for this, since the channels in MT work with stereo signals. Many ways to do this, so I guess the problem lies in choosing the right method in that case.

If you want to send a certain channel to a different set of outputs than the standard, then this is possible using ASIO, but if I understand you correctly you already know this?

Speaking of grouping, the routing/grouping in MT in general is a bit underdeveloped imo, but I think I remember Yannick having a valid explanation for why this is so (anyone remember?).

Here's why I think the whole routing thing could use a rework. It seems routing only works on track FX, nothing else. If you route a channel (A) to another channel (B), then B's volume fader and master output options won't have any effect on the sound coming from A. But if you activate a channel/VST FX on B, then the sound from A will get affected by that fx. It seems in other words, that routing only applies to the FX of tracks, which is what the manual says/hints also. Nevertheless, this in my opinion is a strange behaviour, since the word routing/output suggests that everything from one channel gets sent over to another channel and that channel then has full control over the signal. In other words, either the manual should be changed so that it talks about FX/plugin routing or, which I would prefer, the method of routing should be changed so that it actually turns over complete control to the next channel after applying the FX + fader settings in the first channel. This way you could actually use the feature to group instruments into subgroups controlled by one fader/channel, which would be an enormous improvement for mixing in MT.
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Sourfly

PostPosted: Thu May 18 2006 22:48    

Well the mono out would be nice, but I wasn't really after that. I would compensate in that situation with cables to mix the channels. But, I was thinking more along the lines of something like this:

channels 1-8 are sent to outputs 1/2
channels 9-15 are sent to outputs 3/4
etc ..

But also having the choice of adding channels to groups piecemeal. So say, I want channel 0,4,8,9 all in group 1 which outputs to 1/2 then 2,5,6,7 are in group 2 and send to outputs 3/4. This would be a flexible model too, heck why not be able to name groups "Zpuloogoogoo" or "Drums 01", whatever.

I think this better explains the idea .. hehe I hope.

-SOURFLYGUY
QBical

PostPosted: Fri May 19 2006 08:30    

easy!

Just route the tracks to an new track and send that new track to the output you want. That way you can make as much group/busses as you'd like! And you can name the new track aswell

Oh and just a little edit, for the mono out, just pan things all the way to the right or to the left to get a sort of 'mono out'.

PC: P4 HT 3ghz, 1gb ram, 500GB+ Storage, plextor DVD-rw, M-audo Audiophile 2496
Laptop: Apple Powerbook G4 15inch
Other Stuff: Phonic MU802 mixer, Alesis M1 Active Mk2 Monitors, Ipod 2nd gen. 20GB, maxtor firewire HD 80GB
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Fri May 19 2006 12:21    

You actually have this system working, QBical? So that when you have a sample playing on one track and you route it to another track, and then select a soundcard output in the second track, then the sound from the first track gets routed to the output set in the second track? Because I can't get that to work. Do you use ASIO for this, or is there some other way to use multiple outputs in MT?
QBical

PostPosted: Fri May 19 2006 16:53    

well it was more of an theory Smile
I only have 1 left and 1 right output so ehm, I dunno...

But it should be working, if it doesn't then there is a huge bug in the ASIO part of madtracker...

PC: P4 HT 3ghz, 1gb ram, 500GB+ Storage, plextor DVD-rw, M-audo Audiophile 2496
Laptop: Apple Powerbook G4 15inch
Other Stuff: Phonic MU802 mixer, Alesis M1 Active Mk2 Monitors, Ipod 2nd gen. 20GB, maxtor firewire HD 80GB
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Fri May 19 2006 18:50    

In that case, read the last paragraph of my first post. It does not seem to work the way one would expect. Confused Perhaps others with multiple outputs and ASIO could confirm this? So that we can make sure it's not just me who's missing some basic feature?
Sourfly

PostPosted: Tue May 23 2006 04:18    
MULTI-PASS (SAY IT) MUL-TEE-pAZZ (REPEAT)

Well, unless it is some easter egg style code you have to enter ...

"Click 'Edit' then click 'Configuration', next on your joystick enter:'UP DOWN UP DOWN A B A B UP DOWN LEFT RIGHT SELECT START' you should hear RYU say 'HADOKIN', then the channel output assignment window shall appear."

I haven't tried codes yet, and I still can't find anything of the ilk anywhere in the options or docs. Routing channels to others, yes ... assigning those to an output other than "The Master", sadly no.

Perhaps if this topic becomes buring hot on the charts, the Y-man will catch a whisper ...

SOURFLYGUY
SoulEye
Beta-Tester

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28 2006 15:13    

lol @ sf ref

http://www.souleye.se
Q-Gdoxl
User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24 2006 20:54    
SOURFLY

sorry off topic but I have been trying to get a hold of you. e-mail me qgdoxl@gmail.com
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT + 1 Hour