Bug report
 Re-Play?
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Prometheus-3
Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12 2007 03:45    
Re-Play?

I run MT2 to the CPU limits, and sometimes I stop playback and a few seconds later it starts playing automatically, causing my computer to freeze! And I have the RAM and the latest edition! Evil or Very Mad
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
oldbrian

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12 2007 19:46    

could you give some specs on the comp?

anyways, not only raw power should be at hand but adaquate drivers aswell so it may be worth the time to dl the latest of your motherboard's and soundcard's.

also, go to the configuration window (ctrl+f) and try out the various audio devices with varying buffer count and size settings to see what will suit you the most. the more and bigger the buffers are the bigger the latency will be but it may drastically reduce your cpu load.
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail
Prometheus-3
Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19 2007 12:49    
Orright

Thanks! In case you're wondering:
1.6 GHz CPU
256MB RAM
Running Windows XP
Using Intel Integrated Audio (16 bit Stereo, 44100 Hz, 4 buffers, size 20)with only track effects active, no other options.
I managed to fix the problem, but some songs like morecold.mt2 still screw up. Do you think RAM will help?
Sonitus
Beta-Tester

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19 2007 15:06    
Re: Orright

Prometheus-3 wrote:
Thanks! In case you're wondering:
1.6 GHz CPU
256MB RAM
Running Windows XP
Using Intel Integrated Audio (16 bit Stereo, 44100 Hz, 4 buffers, size 20)with only track effects active, no other options.
I managed to fix the problem, but some songs like morecold.mt2 still screw up. Do you think RAM will help?

When you said that you "got the RAM" I was thinking that you had at least double what you have. I can't run any of the tracks I've made during the past 3 or 4 years with 256 mb of ram without freezing the computer. I have 1024 mb's now, but still some of my tracks freezes. I'm not saying that buying more ram will definately help in your case, but I would strongly advice you to at least double your ram and maybe get a new soundcard (the integrated ones usually sucks). Hope it works out!
cHiEfRoCkA 4 ReaL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19 2007 19:04    

Doubling his RAM wont help him a lot.

Its mostly about the CPU.

1.6GhZ is not very much Sad

View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Sonitus
Beta-Tester

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19 2007 20:56    

cHiEfRoCkA 4 ReaL wrote:
Doubling his RAM wont help him a lot.

Its mostly about the CPU.

1.6GhZ is not very much Sad

Hehe, well, doubling his RAM won't hurt him either Very Happy
Elijah

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20 2007 03:43    

i agree... doubling ram will increase preformance dramatically.

esp. since he only has 256. on my last laptop i had 1.8 with 256. and i doubled my ram and madtracker ran like a charm. too bad my computer sucked so bad.

my new one is better. woot. anyways. buy some more ram. thats the cheapest alternative. at least a gigabye if you will be recording singing and putting it in mt2. it will take much more.

512 is ok for vst and samples tho.

- Elijah
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Prometheus-3
Regular

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20 2007 08:50    
RAM

My mum's computer (I use it when I'm at hers) has the same problem. Here are the specs...
2.6 GHz CPU
224MB RAM
Running Windows XP
Using SigmaTel C-Major Audio (16 bit Stereo, 44100 Hz, 16 buffers, size 30)with only track effects active, no other options.
oldbrian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20 2007 12:09    

problem is that winXP has no problem reserving 200+Mb from your ram only for system purposes which leaves like nothing for making music apart from the virtual memory on your HDD which is slow as hell compared to the system mem - and to make things worse, integrated graph cards also use the system memory so i'd also advise you to buy some additional ram; even 1gb can prove to be not enough. (just for the record: an avarage track of mine nowadays eats up at least 300Mb, but usually twice)

i'd increase the buffer size as well, with that configuration 20 is too low (requires way too much CPU). with a 3ghz, 1gb ram comp i have 4 buffers with the size of 50 and sometimes i have to increase the size just to avoid crackles and such.
Prometheus-3
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21 2007 04:46    

Thanks for the advice! How much is about 1024MB of RAM? (Don't worry, I can convert currencies)
Ravana

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21 2007 07:47    

Prometheus-3 wrote:
Thanks for the advice! How much is about 1024MB of RAM? (Don't worry, I can convert currencies)

You would do wisely to check your local prices. Some time ago about 120-150€. It depends on the manufacturer, country, time etc.

My bottle neck is my 2,9Ghz CPU, it's just not enough. Never have I ran out of RAM with using only VSTs. For example my newest track uses less than 80MB of RAM but I can't play it without serious problems with my CPU.

http://www.mikseri.net/artists/thejollynekromanseri.51046.php

http://www.mikseri.net/artists/bewaretheconstruct.62202.php

MT source files available if requested (maybe)
oldbrian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21 2007 11:58    

Ravana wrote:
Prometheus-3 wrote:

You would do wisely to check your local prices. Some time ago about 120-150€. It depends on the manufacturer, country, time etc.

My bottle neck is my 2,9Ghz CPU, it's just not enough. Never have I ran out of RAM with using only VSTs. For example my newest track uses less than 80MB of RAM but I can't play it without serious problems with my CPU.

well, increase the buffer size as big as the display's delay still doesn't bother you Smile

about the ram: you should also check what kind of ram do you need (SD, DDR, etc.) and how fast (266Mhz, 333, ... - judged by the 1.6Ghz my guess would be 266). also, you'd rather buy at least rams at the same MHz as your current ones - the same brand would be even nicer. theoretically it shouldn't have been that important as it had turned out to be practically Smile
Prometheus-3
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23 2007 08:09    

orright
Prometheus-3
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08 2007 09:49    
Replaying

btw, does anyone know why I mash stop, the sound stops and I open the mixer, etc and the song starts again without pressing play?
Prometheus-3
Regular

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16 2007 07:29    

My mum got a new computer. Here are the specs...
P.S. This glitch will not happen on this new computer. Wink
Intel Core Duo 1.6GHz (3.2GHz total) Running Windows XP Media Center Edition
1GB RAM
512MB Graphics
Audio: ASIO: US-122 Out (24 bit, 44100 Hz, Linear Interpolation) All features except Hi-Q filters activated.

I wanted a quad core and 2GB RAM on the computer at my dads, but he says I have no programs to utilise it. And he said MT2 is a crap DOS-Converted program for windows(mainly because it has bugs on Vista, despite me telling him it was never in DOS. Do you think a quad core could be utilised by MT2...?
Or renoise?
Or Cubase?
Or Reason?
Or Acid?
(And the list goes on...)

But I have a new problem. E-Phonic XPressor always produces negative DC Offset on my mum's new computer.
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 2 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next