MadTracker.org
Forum - Fixing computer lag time during playback?
 Forum
Help and support
 Fixing computer lag time during playback?
Reply to topic Post new topic  
JayBaller10

PostPosted: Mon May 14 2007 21:39    
Fixing computer lag time during playback?

I often use many VST instruments in my music, so I believe that this is what causes the computer to freeze up or move slower during playback. I've been coping with this problem for a while now, but I am tired of it and would like to know if there is a solution. I did notice that whenever I lowered the ticks (say from 6 to 1) the playback was better, but still not where it should be (fluid and uninterrupted). I read about "ticks" to devulge their purpose, but still have no clue what purpose they serve. Anyway, does anyone know how to combat this problem?
View user's journal Send private message
goose

PostPosted: Mon May 14 2007 21:52    

Read this

http://www.madtracker.org/wiki/index.php/Increasing_Performance

Also. Try changing your buffer size in "config" > "audio" is a good thing to try.

"A tick is the event when MadTracker updates the effects and the automation." There are several ticks per line (1-31).
( --- From the MT help file)

Hope that helps

Last edited by goose on Mon May 14 2007 22:39; edited 1 time in total
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
JayBaller10

PostPosted: Mon May 14 2007 22:06    

thanks for the advice goose, will try those... As far as the buffer size, should I change it higher or lower?
View user's journal Send private message
goose

PostPosted: Mon May 14 2007 22:45    

I just edited the post above about ticks, btw

So... Set buffer to a higher number so it can hold more info at once, Or have more buffers, (depending on your soundcard, maybe) but I think the optimum is to have as few and small as possible. I wish I knew more about how it works, but I just put in numbers until it works! Confused Maybe someone else can explain and then I'll add it to the Wiki. Cool
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Wed May 16 2007 19:29    

Buffer size should be as small as possible, since you're basically talking about how much the program should store sound in advance before starting to play. Larger buffers = more information needs to be calculated in advance => the pattern display will be more and more out of sync with the sound. It's not a huge problem to have large buffers and if the sound stutters or gets chopped up then you should increase the buffer size. But if you want the pattern display and VU meters to stay in sync with the sound, then buffers should be low.

As far as the number of buffers, I haven't noticed any difference in having 1 or 16, but presumably the same rules apply. I.e. more buffers = more information needs to be calculated => bigger lag. But as I said, I haven't noticed anything here and therefor I've left it at the biggest possible nr (which is 16 buffers for me I think).
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT + 1 Hour