Yannick wrote:

To apply to be a MT3 developers, you should meet the following requirements:
  • Experience with portable C/C++ programming
  • Experience with audio programming
  • Experience with graphic/UI programming
  • Experience with assembler is a plus
  • Experience with Linux is a plus
  • Clean, organized person Razz
  • Experience with CVS/SVN (MT3 should be on SVN)

Drop me a mail if you're interested or know someone who'd be interested.

I would be able to contribute as time allows in the following ways:

- Graphics / Interface / Ideas (I'm not a coder but... Smile
- Donation of my own tracked modules as demonstration tunes (whatever of my stuff you wish, IF you deem any of it worthy)
- Testing on Ubuntu Linux
- Testing on Windows XP (VMWare is my friend! Smile
- Anything else that is needed of me, provided it's within my abilities

As for suggestions, I have a couple off the top of my head:

#1 - Support of playback (not necessarily saving) of: All formats module Winamp Supports (which seems to be the vast majority), *.skm format (support can be found via in_skale.dll though you may have already known that -- skm has the very nice ability to encode the samples individually using ogg where as with *.mo3 format players can not seem to be able to view any of the extended data), *.mo3 format (load / playback only, as per my previous mention of mo3).

#2 - The option for allowing MadTracker to load samples into Audacity for extended editing and saved back into the module when Audacity is exited.

Anyways, I look forward to MT3 and I'll help in whatever ways I can as you deem are needed.

-Dave
View user's journal Send private message
Psalm 97

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16 2007 07:06    

UBUNTU, yes! I logged in tonight intending to ask if open source meant I would soon see MT on my beloved Ubuntu. It works well enough in Wine, but......... I miss some of my VSTs. Sad

Only what is done for Christ will last.
Time Warrior
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16 2007 16:05    

Psalm 97 wrote:
UBUNTU, yes! I logged in tonight intending to ask if open source meant I would soon see MT on my beloved Ubuntu. It works well enough in Wine, but......... I miss some of my VSTs. Sad

Well open source tends to mean the sky's the limit but it's up to the birds, if ya know what I mean. Logically, the more people that work on a project, the more skill each person has and if everyone is able to efficiently work *together* then an open source project can accomplish great things in short order.

The longer things take with a project, typically (but not always) it means there is a severe lack of coordination within that community and / or the Dev Team is tiny because most of the people on the "outside looking in" who are able to do something, are too busy / lazy / unmotivated.

Open Source can be a double edge sword like this so it's up to all of us to show support and interest, one way or another.

-Dave
Psalm 97

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16 2007 16:24    

Yeah, fer real. Look at Psycle. Great interface (if you like that kind of interface, which I do) terrible sound engine.

It is a testament to Yannick's coolness though that MT is as old as it is and is still almost as good as Renoise. If Ubuntu-minded devs do pick it up, I can't wait to see what it will turn out to be. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Maybe someone should slip over to the Ubuntu forums and drop a word.......

goose

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16 2007 19:29    
Re: MadTracker 3 to become open-source

Time Warrior wrote:

#2 - The option for allowing MadTracker to load samples into Audacity for extended editing and saved back into the module when Audacity is exited.

-Dave

Idea

You can check the KEEP ON DISK option in the sample window, so that every time you edit and save that sample in Audacity, Madtracker2 will ask you if you want to use the updated version.

Idea
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Time Warrior
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16 2007 21:59    
Re: MadTracker 3 to become open-source

goose wrote:
Time Warrior wrote:

-Dave

Idea

You can check the KEEP ON DISK option in the sample window, so that every time you edit and save that sample in Audacity, Madtracker2 will ask you if you want to use the updated version.

Idea

Wow, that I didn't know. You see, I'm not very familiar with MT specifically -- I simply support open source, Linux and I'm *always* willing to use a Tracking Software that I've never used before.

It's also amazing the things that are possible with Tracking Softwares now compared to the Dialup BBS Scene in the 1990's. As the 21st century BBS Scene has implemented things like multiprotocol BBS Software such as Synchronet (www.synchro.net), softwares like MadTracker, SkaleTracker, MilkyTracker, CheeseTracker, SoundTracker, etc... have revolutionized the Demoscene Tech as well.

Hell, I've reticently stumbled upon NitroTracker (nitrotracker.tobw.net) which for those who do not know, is a Tracker in development for the Nintendo DS!! Now how cool is that? lol

-Dave
Time Warrior
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16 2007 22:02    

Psalm 97 wrote:
Yeah, fer real. Look at Psycle. Great interface (if you like that kind of interface, which I do) terrible sound engine.

It is a testament to Yannick's coolness though that MT is as old as it is and is still almost as good as Renoise. If Ubuntu-minded devs do pick it up, I can't wait to see what it will turn out to be. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Maybe someone should slip over to the Ubuntu forums and drop a word.......

Never hard of Psycle. I'll have to Google it and check it out. I'm hoping it's a Linux Tracker, yes? Smile

Though I'm not horribly familiar with MT it but as you said, it has been around for a small eternity, yes, so I've *long* since HEARD of it. lol

-Dave
Time Warrior
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16 2007 22:16    

Theres something else I had been pondering for awhile and I figured I'd mention it. Something I don't have time to do but something I'd love to see happen.

A Demoscene Tracking group not based on who's friends with who or on a quota system (ie: x amount of tracks per month to retain membership) -- but something a bit more relaxed.

The head (or heads) of the group would still "quality screen" but it would not be on a per-month quota system. 3 Approved tracks gets you membership with no obligations afterwards. Whether the composer produces 100 more accepted tracks or disappears off the face of the planet after only 3, being listed as a member would never be revoked.

The list could simply have an activity rank based on the date of the last approved submission and the amount of approved tracks. So someone with 20 approved tracks who's last track was submitted a month ago, would have a higher rank than someone with 5 approved tracks who's last track was 6 months ago (or a higher rank than someone with 50 approved tracks who's lack track was a year ago).

For anyone with enough time to undertake being the head of such a thing, well... madtracker.org does have hosting available so "trackers.madtracker.org" perhaps ... and of course "Mad Trackers" seems like as good a group name as any Smile

In todays world where most of us are adults in this scene, time is just not what it used to be. So it would be cool to have a group that does not have the strict policies that most others have had.

Your thoughts? Good idea? Bad idea? Anyone "mad" enough to undertake this? Smile

-Dave
Time Warrior
User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17 2007 09:08    

Psalm 97 wrote:
It works well enough in Wine, but......... I miss some of my VSTs. Sad

All I got it to do under wine was play choppy, lag, error out, crash and otherwise give me a headache. lol ... whats your secret? Smile

-Dave
Psalm 97

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17 2007 17:17    

Dunno. What's your OS? Mine is Ubuntu 7.04.

Time Warrior
User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17 2007 19:16    

Psalm 97 wrote:
Dunno. What's your OS? Mine is Ubuntu 7.04.

Same as mine.

-Dave
s-n-s
User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22 2007 14:28    

so how is the progress on this madtracker 3??any news??or just the same old news??
Time Warrior
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23 2007 15:49    

s-n-s wrote:
so how is the progress on this madtracker 3??any news??or just the same old news??

Well, people were conversing for a very short time but then seemed to have shut up suddenly. lol ... not sure what brought about the silence.

-Dave
Yannick
MadTracker Author

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23 2007 17:11    

The server down time may have killed the conversation indeed. Smile

Yannick
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
Time Warrior
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23 2007 17:49    

Yannick wrote:
The server down time may have killed the conversation indeed. Smile

Yannick

I didn't realize there was any lol ... people had gone silent for at *least* a few days of "up time" Smile

-Dave
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 2 of 4 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next