Forum - What about the VST support?
 Forum
MadTracker 3
 What about the VST support?
Reply to topic Post new topic  
LogicDeLuxe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21 2007 16:10    
What about the VST support?

I wonder, since your are required to be a company in order to have VST support in your software, can you really just go open source with it?
I seriously hope that this is no issue.
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21 2007 19:07    

hmm, maybe Yannick's company can own the code but put it in a open source domain?

Do you have any links to further reading regarding this? Would be interested to learn more.
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
LogicDeLuxe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22 2007 12:52    

The licence agreement can be found at Steinberg. It is somewhat restricted it seems.

But I just found there is open source software supporting vst: http://www.ardour.org/
So I suppose there is a way.
Yannick
MadTracker Author

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22 2007 18:03    

The requirement that asks to be a registered company/business is for the ReWire license, not the VST license. There's been other open-source software with VST support I think, so there must be a way around. For the ReWire, it's gonna be something more tricky. I guess I can handle that part on my own then - and pass my own interface to the developers. Considering the flexible nature of MT3, that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Yannick
Relabs
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10 2008 00:07    

Having recently noticed the problems arising from licensing decisions in some sound related software, I got interested what's the status of the license for MT3? I noticed in the sourceforge pages that the license info is "GNU General Public License (GPL), GNU Library or Lesser General Public License (LGPL)". The thing is that VST related files from Steinberg can't be used in GPL program, so in practice this means that GPL programs can't provide VST support. Is MT3 really going to be GPL and drop VST support?
View user's journal Send private message
Yannick
MadTracker Author

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10 2008 11:00    

MT3 is more likely to be LGPL. And for VST and ReWire support, using a closed-source plugin for MT3 to make the bridge between the 2 seems the way to go.
Relabs
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10 2008 20:41    

Yannick wrote:
MT3 is more likely to be LGPL.

Is MT3 to be some sort of library or why LGPL? I have an impression that LGPL is intended for libraries.

Yannick wrote:
And for VST and ReWire support, using a closed-source plugin for MT3 to make the bridge between the 2 seems the way to go.

The problem is, however, that it seems that GPL(and LGPL?) software doesn't allow, or at least sets very strict conditions, for closed source plugins, see GPL-faq: GPLAndPlugins
oldbrian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10 2008 23:18    

OpenMPT goes with GPL and it supports VST. dunno how they resolved this problem but it might be worth a try at asking them.
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail
Yannick
MadTracker Author

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11 2008 17:56    

LGPL allows linking with closed-source software as far as I understood it. Since MT3 is modular, having it LGPL will allow closed-source plugins to be developed for it.
Relabs
User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11 2008 22:56    

Yannick wrote:
LGPL allows linking with closed-source software as far as I understood it. Since MT3 is modular, having it LGPL will allow closed-source plugins to be developed for it.

LGPL libraries can indeed be linked with closed source applications, but using LGPL for application still seems bit odd; in sections 2. a) of the LGPL 2.1 license it reads: "The modified work must itself be a software library.".
baiguai
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17 2012 18:21    

LMMS has VST support, I believe that is open source
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT + 1 Hour