MadTracker.org
Forum - this is me, whining: I WANT MAC SUPPORT!
 Forum
Suggestions
 this is me, whining: I WANT MAC SUPPORT!
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Emoposer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29 2005 06:31    
this is me, whining: I WANT MAC SUPPORT!

Seriously,
I would love it so fucking much-
there's no telling what I'd do for a mac version.
:wink:

Nah, but for real, when my pc is in my bedroom,
and my mac/pro-tools setup is in the basement studio,
it's kinda sketchy bringing big homophobic rap dudes into your bedroom to make beats.

much love,
joe.
p.s. I WANT MAC SUPPORT!
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
QBical

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29 2005 07:01    

same here, since I'm about to buy a powerbook...

But I think yannick is just going to wait until the intel mac's are due. Then porting wouldn't be such a pain I think...

Grtz
ray

PC: P4 HT 3ghz, 1gb ram, 500GB+ Storage, plextor DVD-rw, M-audo Audiophile 2496
Laptop: Apple Powerbook G4 15inch
Other Stuff: Phonic MU802 mixer, Alesis M1 Active Mk2 Monitors, Ipod 2nd gen. 20GB, maxtor firewire HD 80GB
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29 2005 09:07    

Have any of you tried Virtual PC, to use it to run MT on a Mac? I don't know if it works, but since they say you can run any PC program on a mac using it, MT should work also?
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
QBical

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29 2005 15:18    

well I don't have a mac yet, but I can guess that the preformance of virtual PC with intensive madtracker usage ( as in loads and loads of vst's Wink ) is lacking to say the least...

What I'm going to do though is use my PC for composing the tracks, and then exporting them in Ableton Live on the mac for live usage...
The only problem is the PC only VST effects Sad

But it will look good! Very Happy
Damn those pc laptops are ugwly Wink

Grtz
Raymond

PC: P4 HT 3ghz, 1gb ram, 500GB+ Storage, plextor DVD-rw, M-audo Audiophile 2496
Laptop: Apple Powerbook G4 15inch
Other Stuff: Phonic MU802 mixer, Alesis M1 Active Mk2 Monitors, Ipod 2nd gen. 20GB, maxtor firewire HD 80GB
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29 2005 18:50    

heh, tell me about it Smile Have a Mac mini sitting on my desktop atm. (only borrowed though). Looks pretty sweet Smile But I have managed to get it to freeze some applications so that I had to force quit them. Mac ain't as stable as the hype wants you to believe. But, as soon as I have some spare money I'll buy a 12" iBook.

Anyway, if someone has the possibility to test using virtual PC and Madtracker on a Mac, please do so and post your results. Would be interesting to hear if it's possible at all, even if it's resource intensive.
MagnarTBL

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30 2005 08:39    

Yannick, don't read this thread!

Focus on next version of MT3 on PC! - I believe still the highest count of users in the world are slaves to Microsoft...

There is a lot of hype around mac in the industry, but really: I still believe in Scandinavian (and most of the rest of Europe for that matter), you will find Mac only in: Professional Soundstudios because the run the ProTools Mac versions, or in the Newspapers and gfx design industry because they still use Adobe products on Mac, and a few tv-stations aswell. But, how much mac does that end up in? I believe if you have a couple of million IBM PC users, you will find maybe a 5000-10000 users on Mac OS.

The hype is there, but in the end: Microsoft owns the world right now, and most student have a PC as their schoolwork computer. And really, do you see MadTracker as hitting the target group for the already professional Musicians running high-expensive studios already built up on Protools?

...Or isn't the real target hitting the ordinary (poor) musicians that looks further than the old midi-sequencing way of composing that costs big-$$$?

/M
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30 2005 10:47    

hmm, I know at least 6 people who own an Mac, and only one of them is involved in the music industry actively. The others use their Macs like they would a PC. In school I see more and more people running around with Macs also. An IT company where I know the owners say they're probably going to move at least some of their servers from a linux enviroment to an OS X enviroment.

The ad company I work at on the other hand uses PC:s exclusively.

My point is, to say that you only find Macs in pro-enviroments is a bit missleading. These days Macs are gaining popularity rapidly among "normal" users also. So to at least keep the option to port MT to Mac in your mind when coding imo is a good idea.

And I still say if anyone has the possibility, try to run MT through Virtual PC and let us know the results. Wink
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30 2005 10:58    

Sunbuster wrote:
My point is, to say that you only find Macs in pro-enviroments is a bit missleading. These days Macs are gaining popularity rapidly among "normal" users also. So to at least keep the option to port MT to Mac in your mind when coding imo is a good idea.

This view makes sense, although is just as misleading. The Apple marketing does a great job with giving such a small player such tremendous amount of attention. Yes, recently numbers have increased concerning Mac-users, but not much. The rapid increase that you refer to mainly implies tremendous attention shift from MS to Apple.

Using X86, OS X will become a more interesting platform for enthousiasts (with some decent hacking, every SSE3-supporting AMD or Intel can work perfectly fine with OS X). Nevertheless, enthousiasts are a *very* tiny segment of the market (just as the entertainment-sector is). Real numbers (regular home users, companies) make the largest part of the pie, and these I don't see changing to Apple soon.

Then again: MadTracker does appeal to the entertainment-sector, where numbers of Mac-users are higher on a relative scale. But, as MagnarTBL said, MadTracker is not the de facto tool for the high-end studio's, but mainly for the regular home user. ReWire makes it interesting for studio's as an extension, yes, but the core of users will always be pc-users, simply because Windows-pc-penetration currently is more than 90%.

Care for a game of Monopoly?
MagnarTBL

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02 2005 16:24    

Thanks, Inge. For making my points even clearer. Smile

And, again. I believe Yannick already do know what platform is the "hottest" for an application as MadTracker, otherwise it wouldn't be a PC application in the first place, now would it? Wink

Sure, it is great if the current PC version of MT2.5 would work in a PC-emulated environment on the MacOS. But I strongly encourage Yannick to keep his development efforts (=spending time programming) in Madtracker on the PC-platfom.

/M
Emoposer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23 2008 16:35    

Sound Engineering is my career and I work strictly with macs. Three years later, I'm still pining for mac support.
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
MagnarTBL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23 2008 23:56    

I believe Yannick has left the building... or something similar to that. Smile
Vincent.V.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26 2008 01:24    

MagnarTBL wrote:
I believe Yannick has left the building... or something similar to that. Smile

Thats the same daxx told me... Sad what a pitty!

i hate signatures Wink
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT + 1 Hour