MadTracker 3
 Spread the word!?
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Golden_Vampire
User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25 2008 11:40    
dear yannick

How come your not going to be involved with creating madtracker 3?
View user's journal Send private message
Yannick
MadTracker Author

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25 2008 17:52    

I've already been involved. Razz
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
Magic

PostPosted: Wed May 07 2008 08:17    

Yannick before you get too ingroosed with mt3? could we have just a little update for mt2? A compatable version for 64 bit vista ultimate. Dont get me wrong mt2 does work in both but a more native version of mt2 for 64bit would be great as it is a bit flakey in places. Great work tho:)
View user's journal Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Lord_Nighthawk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01 2008 08:30    

hi,

is there anything new about the mt3 project? no update on this side and nothing really new on the sourceforge page make me feel a little bit...sad Question Razz
View user's journal Send private message
oldbrian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27 2008 11:13    

Magic wrote:
Yannick before you get too ingroosed with mt3? could we have just a little update for mt2? A compatable version for 64 bit vista ultimate. Dont get me wrong mt2 does work in both but a more native version of mt2 for 64bit would be great as it is a bit flakey in places. Great work tho:)

+1! or at least a version linked with a /LARGEADDRESSAWARE:YES flag just to be able to have 3gb of ram for mt Smile
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail
CHICAGO¤lollie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15 2008 14:20    

oldbrian wrote:
+1! or at least a version linked with a /LARGEADDRESSAWARE:YES flag just to be able to have 3gb of ram for mt Smile

Thaaaat would be nice. It's a slight pain in the rear to have MT hang up on 1gb usage, when you're got a computer with 3gb+ RAM in it.

QBical

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16 2008 11:47    

Why would you need more than 1GB for madtracker, the only thing I can imagine is for using a sampler plugin, but isn't this dealt with by the plugin's own memory management system?

The big problem is that almost all the soft-samplers are 32-bit so they to can only adress 2GB of memory per instance. I thought that only gigasampler offers a 64bit version.

PC: P4 HT 3ghz, 1gb ram, 500GB+ Storage, plextor DVD-rw, M-audo Audiophile 2496
Laptop: Apple Powerbook G4 15inch
Other Stuff: Phonic MU802 mixer, Alesis M1 Active Mk2 Monitors, Ipod 2nd gen. 20GB, maxtor firewire HD 80GB
oldbrian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16 2008 21:39    

QBical wrote:
Why would you need more than 1GB for madtracker, the only thing I can imagine is for using a sampler plugin, but isn't this dealt with by the plugin's own memory management system?

The big problem is that almost all the soft-samplers are 32-bit so they to can only adress 2GB of memory per instance. I thought that only gigasampler offers a 64bit version.

unfortunatelly if the sampler was 64 bit it wouldn't help since 32bit apps can't load 64bit dlls (not to mention that maybe they'd have to be vst3 and mt only supports vst2.3). btw, speaking of giga, Tascam gave up on GigaStudio, so there'll be no more installments of it (under the Tascam logo, whether it means the end of this sampler is not sure).

about the more memory thing: the problem is that when you load data into your sampler the memory allocated to the host (in our case mt2.exe) process increases, so the plugin's memory is not handled completely separated - the 2gb limit on the sum of all memory allocated by all your plugins lives, so you end up with a nice 'failed to allocate memory' message if you don't export into wave a lot and make seperate tracks. so even though a single instance of the sampler could address 3gb, if mt can't the plug won't either.

(personally i've topped around 1.6gb of ram with only plugin mem usage, but given my habit of playing (too much) with samples it almost wasn't enough... Smile )

that extra 1 gb wouldn't be an ultimate solution, it'd just make things a bit more comfortable until something good (=mt3 Smile ) happens.
CHICAGO¤lollie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19 2008 09:01    

QBical wrote:

Personally? I tend to keep everything in one MT2 file whenever I can, it allows me to finetune everything on the fly. Some effects/synths will take up more memory than others, as I'm sure you already know.

I realize that I have the option to export tracks to WAV, clear out the section, and free up memory, but. If I ever decide that a section needs more playing around after I've cleared it out, the last thing I want to do is have to go back to a previously saved version, tweak that around and re-export, then bring it back into the newest version and check if actually works. If it doesn't, I've just gotta go back to the previous version and try again.

After a while, going back and forth like that is really quite inconvenient and unnecessary, especially if you know the computer has the power to do it all in one anyway.

I happen to have Windows XP's magical "allow 3gb+" tag enabled, due to using Adobe After Effects for rendering some animation work. So it's a bit of a punt-out when my weapon of choice for music can't cut it on memory like the rest of the programs. :(

Last edited by CHICAGO¤lollie on Fri Nov 28 2008 01:35; edited 1 time in total
oldbrian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20 2008 13:17    

also, just to make it clear: making mt2 being able to address 3gb ideally would mean zero coding (in cpp it would, don't know about Delphi), only finding the appropriate counterpart of the /LARGEADDRESSAWARE:YES cpp flag (if there is) and then recompiling.
CHICAGO¤lollie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28 2008 01:34    

What if we threw in a "pretty please"?

And big puppy dog eyes?

We'll be your best friend! C'monnnnn.

Amok

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28 2008 08:54    

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssseeeeeeeee.... Shocked

http://www.andreasjanke.net