MadTracker.org
Forum - What is the current fate of MadTracker 2?
 Forum
General discussion
 What is the current fate of MadTracker 2?
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
CHICAGO¤lollie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16 2009 10:27    

It's been three years since we've seen a single update or bugfix for MadTracker 2, and there hasn't actually been any public word as to why that's been the case.

From what I've gathered (out of little bits and pieces posted around the forums over the years), there were some personal life events a couple of years back that upturned everything - That is entirely understandable, and while I don't know the circumstances of these events, I do respect the decision to forgo working on things while life does its thing.

However, MadTracker's development was never officially "closed", thus I'm led to believe that there will be another update, someday. I do still consider myself a proud user of MadTracker, and it is still my main weapon of choice for the majority of my music and audio production work. So, naturally, I would like to know what has become of our beloved tracker.

That, and I'd love for MadTracker to be able to use more than a third of my computer's RAM. I need to know if I can continue holding onto my hopes and dreams. I'm only human!

View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
goose

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16 2009 11:34    

What he said. Cool

I'm not looking forward to a day that MT stops working with new OSs and I have to switch.

View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Walter Vos

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16 2009 12:04    

You know,

the fate of Madtracker is probably mostly in our own hands. I'm not sure what the status of Madtracker as an open source project is but I don't think anything is happening right now. I think we're lacking programmers (I'm making a lot of assumptions here) ATM. So what can we do? I'm not a programmer, designer or anything. I could be a tester though. Probably more of us can. But maybe you know someone who IS a programmer and likes electronic music. Perhaps he/she'd like to participate in the open source project for Madtracker. We could also devote some time and effort into searching for music communities and programming communities to ask people there to participate.

I'm just thinking out loud here. What do you think we can do?

what is hip?

www.waltervos.nl
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
CHICAGO¤lollie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16 2009 12:31    

That's another thing here: MadTracker 3 is an open source project, there for anyone to get into it, if they want it. But MadTracker 2 is still as closed-circuit as it was way back when.

We are not programmers. We are lacking programmers. Heck, we might as well be missing our only programmer. What makes this harder is that, unless we were to rally together and pay a programmer to do the job for us, it's going to be very unlikely that we'll just magically find a programmer who can step in and do what needs to be done, let alone one with a genuine interest in MadTracker itself.

That's why I'm asking what is happening with the MadTracker we already have. It's no use focusing on a new MT if the current one isn't 'complete'.

goose

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16 2009 12:51    

Yes, I love the idea of MT3 too and am sad for all it's code that has been written so far, but not completed. But I actually use MT2 of course, and put up with its limitations cos there's so much I like about it - and would welcome it being developed a bit further... especially in the actual tracker bit.
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Walter Vos

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16 2009 13:52    

I sort of disagree with you Lollie. Ofcourse it would be nice if MT2 bugs would be fixed but it would be even better if we could get MT3 development going, wouldn't it?

A question for Yannick perhaps: is there any reason why MT2 wouldn't be made open source as well? Because of registered users?

what is hip?

www.waltervos.nl
CHICAGO¤lollie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16 2009 14:14    

Walter Vos wrote:
I sort of disagree with you Lollie. Ofcourse it would be nice if MT2 bugs would be fixed but it would be even better if we could get MT3 development going, wouldn't it?

Well, I'm not saying that MT3 should be completely left aside - Any development would be great. I just think if anything were to given more of the the development spotlight right now, it should be MT2, as it is already up and running.

If MT2 is more finely tuned (even if it were just to fix up the larger bugs and make sure it's up to date with the newer Windows OS and hardware), then MT3 will be far better off in the long run.

Psalm 97

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17 2009 14:15    

MadTracker died right after I paid for it. Sad

Right now for me it's down to a choice of buying Renoise now or waiting for LMMS to get to version 1.0

Only what is done for Christ will last.
View user's journal Send private message
D Vibe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17 2009 14:29    

Walter Vos wrote:
A question for Yannick perhaps: is there any reason why MT2 wouldn't be made open source as well? Because of registered users?

I think that the source code of MT2 is too messy to be able to be open source in a good way..

/Daniel

https://www.dvibe.se
Martin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17 2009 20:04    

The only one who can say anything definitive about the future of Madtracker is Yannick. He has said that he will make an open-source project of it, but it doesnt seem like it is going to happend. Neither does it seem like we are going to get any definitive closing of the MT, so it pretty much down to Yannick making up his mind.

Personally I`m still hoping that he will surprise us all with newfound enthusiasm, but I`m afraid MT must be considered abandonware. What a shame. Thanks to all you guys for the forum, though.

~ http://martin.madtracker.net ~
goose

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17 2009 20:13    

Martin wrote:
The only one who can say anything definitive about the future of Madtracker is Yannick. He has said that he will make an open-source project of it, but it doesnt seem like it is going to happend. Neither does it seem like we are going to get any definitive closing of the MT, so it pretty much down to Yannick making up his mind.

Personally I`m still hoping that he will surprise us all with newfound enthusiasm, but I`m afraid MT must be considered abandonware. What a shame. Thanks to all you guys for the forum, though.

Maybe it's the start of a new cult/religion - Yannism. In 900 years time, there will be Yannists waiting for Yannick to return, but they forgot what the heck they were actually waiting for him to do.

Very Happy
Martin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17 2009 21:00    

BLASPHEMER! Wink

~ http://martin.madtracker.net ~
seismic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19 2009 21:42    

Psalm 97 wrote:
MadTracker died right after I paid for it. Sad

Right now for me it's down to a choice of buying Renoise now or waiting for LMMS to get to version 1.0

Oh well, I did just register two weeks ago, but who cares - I used MT2 for years, didn't know it was basically abandoned (since I didn't track for some time) and still I am proud that I finally paid some money for the grat work Yannik has provided us with in the past years!
Would be nice to know though if everything is over or if there is still hope...but as long as we hear nothing I guess there's hope Wink
CHICAGO¤lollie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28 2009 10:18    

I figured I'd give this thread a week, just in case some news decided to show up. Obviously, it didn't.

Yannick, I know as well as anyone else here that you can still see the forum, and judging by Seismic's post, you're still accepting payment for program registrations. I've asked a valid question, and I'm far from the only user here who'd appreciate an answer.

So I'll reiterate.

Yannick
MadTracker Author

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02 2009 09:57    

Right now the focus is on MT3 becoming open-source. I found some developers and hopefuly the work on it should be resumed soon.

As for MT2, as it's been said, the code is too ugly to be made open-source, but if there's a motivated Delphi programmer out there, he's more than welcome to have a look at it. Smile
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 4 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next