Forum
Help and support
 From Sheet Music to Madtracker?
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Khet
User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03 2009 20:30    
From Sheet Music to Madtracker?

I've fiddled around with Trackers in the past but never really got too detailed with my work. After coming across Madtracker however, I thought it'd be fun to take sheet music, transpose it into Madtracker and then play around with it and see what kind of remixes I can get. However, I can't find any decent information on how trackers correlate with notes? I understand that if I'm using 4 LPB then each line would be a quarter note, but I get confused when adding more lines, especially when the note length varies a lot in a song.

Basically, I suppose what I'm asking if I'm working with a song that is all eighth notes or sixteenth notes, how many lines do I use? How many lines would a quarter note take up?

Or, better yet, if someone has a guide that shows the basics of how it works that'd be much appreciated too!
View user's journal Send private message
Martin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04 2009 10:07    
import midi files

I`m not to familiar with notes so I cant be of much assistance, I would however like to tip you about importing midi files into MT. That way you can get a song you are familiar with into the patterns. Smile

~ http://martin.madtracker.net ~
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
D Vibe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04 2009 20:48    

On a standard pattern, one bar is every sixteenth line. Therefore the resolution would be sixteenth notes for every line.

Every second would be eighth notes and every fourth would be quarter notes..

The length of the note is varied in two ways, either it's dependent on how long sample you use, or it's dependent on when you break the note (you could do that by simply inserting another note (under the circumstance that you don't use NNA (new note actions .. check the faqs/wiki..)) or by using a stop command entered by caps lock or the ><|-key (the one on the left to Z)..

Hope that helps.

Btw, you can also import midi files.. Smile

https://www.dvibe.se
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Khet
User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05 2009 21:27    

Not too interested in port midi files in, rather do it by hand even if it is more difficult. But what do you mean by a standard pattern? Are you saying that each yellow line (with three green ones in between) are actually representing quarter notes and -not- whole notes?
Deepsleeper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06 2009 10:37    

I think that is what he means, if you want to be able to make 32/32 notes you should expand or ad patterns at Lng : from 64 to 128 and double the LPB to 8 (Lenght Per Beat).

And if you want a 3/4 note or a 6/8 note you shoul make the pattern length 48 and the LPB at 6 or pattern lenght at 96 and LPB at 12. A bar for every 12 or 24 pattern line. depending how detailed you want it.
D Vibe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06 2009 11:30    

Khet wrote:
Not too interested in port midi files in, rather do it by hand even if it is more difficult. But what do you mean by a standard pattern? Are you saying that each yellow line (with three green ones in between) are actually representing quarter notes and -not- whole notes?

Yes!

When speaking abot standard pattern I mean a pattern with 64 lines and lpb of four. Thats the pattern that normally will be loaded when you open a new project. It's also the pattern that's been used by standard since the childhood of the tracker concept back in the amiga days.

D Vibe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06 2009 11:34    

Remember that if you change the lpb in an existing project the notes will not follow (expand/shrink to) the new resolution.

Khet
User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06 2009 22:04    

Thanks D Vibe, that clears a lot up. I was thinking that each section (one yellow and three green lines) where beats of the measure, no wonder i couldn't get anything to sound remotely decent!

Edit: might as well put this here instead of making a new thread. I've noticed that if I have madtracker and Ventrilo running at the same time, Madtracker will completely mute vent until I close out of both programs and restart Vent. Is there a way to keep this from happening?
D Vibe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06 2009 23:15    

Do you have a full duplex sound card?

Khet
User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07 2009 01:54    

Honestly... I never thought about that. I'll have to pull open my case and figure out what I'm even running. That'd explain why if it's only half duplex. Though I could have sworn vent used to work with trackers before
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT + 1 Hour