MadTracker.org
Forum - What is the current fate of MadTracker 2?
 Forum
General discussion
 What is the current fate of MadTracker 2?
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
CHICAGO¤lollie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03 2009 09:15    

It's good to hear that MT3 still stands a chance of seeing some light, moreso that you've found developers for it. I just hope they can dedicate enough time to it to get it up and running.

MT2-wise, I'll admit I'm disappointed that there's nothing new about it. I don't see why it's not getting its loose ends tied up, considering how far it came. Confused

View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
Deepsleeper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16 2009 22:42    

Maybe we can get Pixelh8 to make a SID Version of MT2 or a vst for MT2 and MT3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pJNn4Irc0c&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7B3ua_SDGk&feature=related
View user's journal Send private message
plugexpert
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09 2009 11:51    

Yannick wrote:
Right now the focus is on MT3 becoming open-source. I found some developers and hopefuly the work on it should be resumed soon.

Any progress on mt3 ?

http://plugexpert.bandcamp.com/
SoulEye
Beta-Tester

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28 2009 12:25    

You can check out the progress on sourceforge anytime you want... The only activity I saw a couple of months ago when I checked was a comment from an MT user. I can't remember what he said but it was probably something sheepishly about the lack of connected users and developers.

I think MT2 is completely abandoned, and MT3 will never see the light of day.

I use it because I'm too lazy to learn Renoise (which crashes everytime when I sporadically try out new versions anyway so I never have that program longer than 30 minutes on my harddrive).

When people ask me what software I use and they want to learn a new program, I recommend Renoise anyway, because of the deadness of the MadTracker project.

I'm a "Beta-Tester", which I sometimes get questions about. That title is gravely misleading. I can't tell you what's on the beta forum, but if your hunch is "a couple of concept art pictures and no usable files", you're not far off base.

This all being said, I still love and use MT2, despite all it's big slimy creepy bugs. Check out my newest chiptunes in the music section: they rock your pants off! Wink
seismic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11 2009 21:48    
Never mind....

....but I switched to Renoise now. I registered my (cheap!) copy yesterday and am looking forward to the large and lively community as well as an ongoing development of an up-to-date tracker. And as a special bonus the good old FT2-feeling is back! Smile
Nevertheless, thanks for years of brilliant tracking experience and expect me back, if development will ever continue. Laughing
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
CHICAGO¤lollie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20 2009 01:24    

Y'know, the thought's only just occurred to me.

Is there some kind of LEGAL reason for MT2's development going absolutely flat-dead?

Seriously! Still boggles my mind, I don't think we've ever been given a definite explanation as to why a program with so much promise just suddenly dropped dead. I swear I've been all over this site and haven't turned up a single clue.

I feel like the only one making a fuss! It's been four years since the last release, why hasn't anything been made publicly clear?

MadTracker still has its bundle of loyal users - Myself included. I think it's an absolute disservice to be left in the dark for so long.

Deepsleeper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20 2009 15:29    

There are 2 things I hope for to come in 2010 one is MT3, another is Diablo 3. I am almost as much a gamer as I am a tracker but on my whishlist MT3 comes first.
Martin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20 2009 20:36    

@Lollie,

I agree the ending back then was rather sudden, and so was Inge`s departure. However, I dont think Yannick has ever mentioned anything about legal matters. Mostly it seems like personal matters on his behalf. As far as I remember he started production as a teenager, and maybe he just grew out of it, you know.

http://www.madtracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=27896&highlight=#27896

http://www.madtracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=27594&highlight=#27594

~ http://martin.madtracker.net ~
D Vibe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20 2009 23:35    

Hmm, just a small note, but I think Lollie meant "legal reason" as in "are there any excuse" ..

Anyway, I don't see why we should put Yannick in fire for this. If the man's got other things to do, we should be happy for all those years we've already got with this fantastic piece of software..

.. on my wishlist though, MT2 as a VSTi .. Smile

https://www.dvibe.se
D Vibe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20 2009 23:41    

Anyway, I've spent some hours with some Renoise demo version, because a friend of mine, and a demo group member, has programmed a soft synth where the Renoise format is used to sequence his sounds. It's for use in 64k demos.

Renoise got some advantages, but I still think the interface is too clumsy for me. Probably it's because its target users are old FT2 users. I went straight, as I've probably said many many times now, from Protracker and Digibooster Pro on Amiga to Madtracker..

https://www.dvibe.se
Martin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21 2009 09:50    

D Vibe wrote:
Hmm, just a small note, but I think Lollie meant "legal reason" as in "are there any excuse" ..

- oh Embarassed

Anyway, I don't see why we should put Yannick in fire for this.

- I wasn`t trying to put Yannick "in fire" Shocked

Smile

CHICAGO¤lollie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22 2009 03:35    

Martin wrote:
- I wasn`t trying to put Yannick "in fire" Shocked

Nah, though admittedly I've probably been rather critical throughout this thread - I'm sure I've shot off a good amount of fireworks. Smile

I remember seeing those two threads you linked too, if only vaguely. All I've known is "personal reasons".

D Vibe wrote:

In essence, yes, but I did intend to insinuate actual legal matters too. Call it my "Inner-Conspiracy-Theorist". Wink

All I'm looking for is a grounded reason for dropping out on it, details and feelings on the matter. Don't get me wrong, I understand personal life getting in the way, and I understand growing out of projects. But even then, I think it makes sense to tie up the loose ends and give it a formal "this is as good as it'll get" final release.

Who knows what Yannick's spending his time working on now, anyway? If he's working on another big project back there, I'd be interested!

I've said it before: I love MadTracker. I've been with it for eight or nine years now, and it's been an important part of my work. Other programs have come and gone (with the exception of Ableton, which serves as my final edit-and-mix-down program), but I've always come back to it for the foundation of my music work, whether it's instrumentation, drum programming, etc.

For that reason, switching to another tracker-based program is a difficult thing for me to try and get around - I feel I've grown too fond of MadTracker's tricks and traps to switch. If there's something out there with a similar interface and features, I'll check it out, but for now I'm a skeptic.

Martin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23 2009 18:41    

Yepp, I guess you write what many of us are thinking`(or atleast have been thinking). The program (and perhaps the forum members too) deserves some final closure.

Rolling Eyes

Golden_Vampire
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24 2009 11:03    
long live mt

i hope this program doesnt die because its the one most
compatible with my imagination

i like other things like reason and cubase...

but with madtracker, its just so easy to put ur ideas into
the interface and create something.

i find a sentimental connection to it, after 5 or so years using it
Axlzero451
User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03 2010 09:29    

I've essentially moved on to FL Studio, but I can now Rewire MT2 into it after fixing an (extremely obvious Embarassed ) problem. So, still hoping on an update. Also, once I save up enough money, I'll register MT2.
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 2 of 4 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next