Forum - About Renoise
 Forum
Help and support
 About Renoise
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Deepsleeper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28 2011 23:18    
About Renoise

Hi I was wondering, how much different is renoise from madtracker ? Is it difficult to learn to use ? How is it as a tracker ? Are there build in effects like in MT2 ? Is there an automation pad just as in MT2 ? Is it the same coding for speed, volume, pitch ect. ? And is there the same ease of access to plugins and samples ?

Is there things from MT2 that is missing and would be great to have in renoise ? And most of all, how much does it cost and how limited is the free demo ?
View user's journal Send private message
SX001

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29 2011 12:18    
Re: About Renoise

Deepsleeper wrote:
Hi I was wondering, how much different is renoise from madtracker ? Is it difficult to learn to use ? How is it as a tracker ? Are there build in effects like in MT2 ? Is there an automation pad just as in MT2 ? Is it the same coding for speed, volume, pitch ect. ? And is there the same ease of access to plugins and samples ?

Is there things from MT2 that is missing and would be great to have in renoise ? And most of all, how much does it cost and how limited is the free demo ?

well, comparing renoise to madtracker is like to compare
dos navigator to volkov commander. Wink Similar things, though a way different. They have developed on, but I havent tried
the newest version. I can only tell my experience on old days.

It is not so easy to learn like Madtracker. The problem is their proprietary format (MIDI export is not working or requires external tools. But effects, samples are the same, though MIDI file export is still buggy and hassle, so no compatibility.

I last time used on 2007, I had 3GHz CPU on WIN98SE, it was very buggy. I tried to get a new version for testing, but they said that "No the new version is not supported under WIN98SE", which was really arrogant from them (so Yannick can make something which other CANT? hehee).
so thats why I bought a Madtracker instead.

offtopic:

Whats matter? Why these thoughts? I know that I was bothered by bugs, but now I got a workaround for them and now its all ok.
if its only a idea to swap some software out "becouse its not developed anymore", come on...
Madtracker has also room to develop as any other software package, but I guess its pointless to go along with trends if its only "new" thing. It only makes technical
difficulties and all begins from zero again, while with a software you know, you can make music instead at the same tiem.
In the big world... For me the progress is that if there is no need to develop on some piece of program becouse its perfect. (Have you ever heard - "dont fix the same problem twice"? and the programmers can then develop other things).
But has some developer this goal - perfect piece of software?
But for me its a dream -- that I do not need to upgrade any piece neither hardware or software, becouse its PERFECT. So I have more time for creative things instead. Every time when there is a software or hardware change, it consumes atleast a 2 weeks for learning AND patching errors in it finding a workarounds, backward compatibility problems and the headache&frustration is quite terrible in this procedure and quite many things dont work anymore which worked on old versions.

ok ok ok, windows evangelists before you attack..., if you find "updating" normal, just think -- do you find it a very normal that you need to paint your room every year becouse of the low quality of the color? No, I guess, its better if you leave it until you get tired of it and you can deal with more other important things instead of it.
Deepsleeper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03 2011 00:06    

The reason I wanted to know is that I like to learn to use programs from scratch, and I thought it would be a fun project to try, I must confess that I like MT2 more for it's simplicity, but I think that the design looks better in renoise.
SX001

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03 2011 00:15    

Deepsleeper wrote:
The reason I wanted to know is that I like to learn to use programs from scratch, and I thought it would be a fun project to try, I must confess that I like MT2 more for it's simplicity, but I think that the design looks better in renoise.

it is a fun projekt to try. Though to make music... thats another piece.

But be my guest -- there are more trackers to explore for fun's shake under windows environment:

MIDI tracker, Milky Tracker, Scale Tracker, Bero Tracker.
Deepsleeper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10 2011 22:36    

Scale tracker is cool, you can actually use it online even if you don't have the program installed on your pc.
D Vibe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19 2011 09:12    

Deepsleeper wrote:
Scale tracker is cool, you can actually use it online even if you don't have the program installed on your pc.

Nice! Smile

https://www.dvibe.se
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT + 1 Hour