Help and support
 Realtime live MIDI recording with MT as sequencer
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Aeroempi
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12 2013 21:24    
Realtime live MIDI recording with MT as sequencer

Hello to everyone.

I am trying to use MAD tracker version 2.6.1 as a sequencer for my good old MIDI-out YAMAHA keyboard. When I am trying to record "realtime" improvization on my keyboard, MAD tracker always records with "one keystroke as one note/line" timing. Let me explain what I mean: Let us assume I have 64-note/line pattern to record. When I hit a (first) key, first note is recorded to first line and MAD tracker is not running and waits for another keystroke. When second key is hit, second note on second line is recorded, and MAD tracker waits again for another (3rd) note to be pressed. So, the recording is not "realtime" with different lenghts of notes, etc. Each note is each line, which is wrong. I tried all recording modes/options in MAD tracker preferences, but MAD tracker behaves all the time the same. Moreover, some notes on the keyboard work as start/stop button, which is also annoying... Can anyone help me? I understand basics of MIDI, but I am not super-experienced in super-precious MIDI setup. I am moreover not sure if this is MIDI setup problem..

Thank you for any help or hint!

Marek/Prague
View user's journal Send private message
SX001

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14 2013 13:57    
Re: Realtime live MIDI recording with MT as sequencer

I understand You mean and You for sure havent read the manual or havent used Fasttracker 2 with MIDI before You began to use Madtracker if You cant handle it.Wink It does not differ so much from FT2, but MT2.6.1. with hardware synths is very tricky becouse there arent manuals for this software piece.

The manuals and tutorals lack in detail help about MIDI, though it does not differ so much from recording live from computer-keyboard.

I use several years hardware synthesizers with MIDI while others prefer Cubase alike sequencers instead. Wink And... in multiple MIDI port configuration, with MULTIPLE AUDIO OUTPUT CONFIG I see that MT2.6.1. is neat! Besides that SysEx functionality is the extra thing I like about it which are new features compared to FT2. Well... about Your issue:

All you have to do is having...
-- multichannel keyjazz option checked if you want to record more than 1 simultaneus note. E.g. chords.
-- selected channels on which You want to record.
-- click REC and ... "PlaySong" or "Pattern" or "Loop"

Thats it, Sir!
with F1..F4 keys You can change the octave range, so You have not to transpose on keyboard always.

Also You can send SYSEX to change and access different banks on external MIDI synthesizers ( so possible to use more than 256 patches) on effect fields.

Just 2 things -- there is no quantize function.
Also there is no portamento function implemented in MIDI.
Also -- Do NOT click in configuration dialog option that "record finer the notes during live recording". It will only create sloppy mess and notes which You CANT mute on midi synths. (it is in Configuration options dialog). It means that after recording You have to adjust the notes timing Yourself.

However, there are several BUGS in Madtrackers MIDI implementation when its about using MIDI ports. Worse than that -- the Yannick does not even adress that problem, and so far I am alone with them.
But there is hope as I have found some workarounds for the most things EXCEPT one bug.

Have these as checklist and You will do fine as I still use MT2.6.1. on my synths on several years.

worst bug.
1. -- when recording in "keyjazz mode" (REQUIRED FOR MULTICHANNEL NOTE RECORDING), then the "note off" messages are recorded to wrong fields (You notice it soon when listening the recorded work). Thats the thing I am complaining still and no fix from Yannick !!!!
There is no fix for it. JUst after stop You place "note off" messages to correct places, or do not have "record note off messages" option checkmarked (in MIDI configuration dialog).

problem 2.
-- when hitting stop, then madtracker dont send out "note off" messages to all ports in order to abort notes on the half of the composition.
Which means -- If You have a one long chord which lasts 2 bars and You press stop while it was lasted 1.9 bars then
the notes keep hanging even after You press STOP on Madtracker. Notes hang until You press "Panic" on a synthesizer.
That problem is not with VSTS, only with MIDI ports.
WORKAROUND:
-- download MIDIBAG utilities and just add in your VSTs one VST2MIDI utility. When that added, surprisingly all channels work well and I dont need to have "Panic" button in handy for all synths, but it fixed most issues.

timing issue:
3. -- in configuration dialog "midi delay" on ports does not advance the MIDI, it only works with 0...50ms, but not 0..-50ms to send earlier. Just keep it always 0 ms unless You use hardware which has delay on audio output over 15 ms.

lost MIDI messages issue:
4. in certain ASIO configurations MadTracker may miss to send notes to MIDI ports. I had problem with M-audio card and I found that the solution was to keep buffer 368 or 528 samples, dont ask, these are the magic numbers which work.
And I had different things for audio and MIDI ports.

As I said... There is no quantize nor undo function. You need to adjust yourself.
Fasttracker 2.09 is more usable for this task. It does not have those bugs, and has quantizing!!! But it can use only 1 MIDI IN and MIDI OUT and I have no idea if it works on DOSBOX as I prefer to keep separate machine for Ft2.09 and I swap my arrangement between the MT2 and FT2 almost all the time as both of them can use MIDI port.

If need to be recorded with quantization then You must record at first in Madtracker 2.09, save the .XM file with EVEN number of channels (otherwise MT2.6.1. crashes while loading), and then import that .XM in MT 2.6.1.

It means that for that thing You must have keep Your old machine which still has soundcards with MIDI port what Fasttracker recognizes with MIDI port and allows 44kHz audio(SoundBlaster 16 or 16ASP, 64, 64AWE, 64AWE Gold, Gravis Ultrasound Classic / MAX ). Gravis Ultrasound ACE does not have MIDI port.
Also that FT2 must be version 2.09 becouse that one works
correctly with MIDI. VSTs I use on FT2 this way that MIDI out data is sent to another computer which controls VSTs.

MT2.6.1 I use becouse in my configuration is in use 10 MIDI ports.
I use hardware controller and MIDI controlled hardware synthesizers too on MT2.6.1 and on Fasttracker 2.09

Quote:

Moreover, some notes on the keyboard work as start/stop button, which is also annoying...

These notes can be reassigned and I am using 88-key synth as MIDI controller -- Roland XV-88. So I adressed these keys to the most upper and lower ones.

Moreover I could do more help with video tutorial if someone just could explain me how to get live screengrabber to work on one exotic configuration with soundcard input (on WIN98SE (yes, thats my op-system on Pentium 3.4GHz with MT2.6.1.)

Well, thats it. Try and write how are you doing. Anyway thats the answer from me who has tried atleast 8 different trackers and DOS based software and having in first priority the programs stability over functionality for my own multi-MIDI multichannel sound setup. Thats it when its about stability on 10 MIDI port based setup! Wink
View user's journal Send private message
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT + 1 Hour