Forum - a minor bugger, but still
 Forum
Bug report
 a minor bugger, but still
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07 2003 22:26    
a minor bugger, but still

I have the weird habit of playing a song in MT, and then never realising that it ended a long time ago. This especially is a problem when there is a silent pattern loop at the end of the song, meaning I won't be alarmed by the song starting over again.

The problem: When such a silent pattern loop plays for a long time, about 10-15 minutes after the last note has been played, something creates a distortion. It's like a loud whitenoise or similar, hitting my ears at full volume. Now I haven't explored this bug more (partly because it takes 10-15 minutes of silence to generate it), it's just something I've noticed (wondering if my amp crashed everytime the whitenoise hits me). And of course, I realise that it's not common practice to leave a pattern looping silence for 15 minutes after the song ended. Therefore, like I said, it's a minor bugger. But still it's there, and I was wondering if someone else has this also? or if this is something only my soundcard/setup is able to generate Smile
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Sonitus
Beta-Tester

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07 2003 22:40    
Re: a minor bugger, but still

Sunbuster wrote:
I have the weird habit of playing a song in MT, and then never realising that it ended a long time ago. This especially is a problem when there is a silent pattern loop at the end of the song, meaning I won't be alarmed by the song starting over again.

The problem: When such a silent pattern loop plays for a long time, about 10-15 minutes after the last note has been played, something creates a distortion. It's like a loud whitenoise or similar, hitting my ears at full volume. Now I haven't explored this bug more (partly because it takes 10-15 minutes of silence to generate it), it's just something I've noticed (wondering if my amp crashed everytime the whitenoise hits me). And of course, I realise that it's not common practice to leave a pattern looping silence for 15 minutes after the song ended. Therefore, like I said, it's a minor bugger. But still it's there, and I was wondering if someone else has this also? or if this is something only my soundcard/setup is able to generate Smile

Can't say that I've ever recieved this bug. But neither have I ever let Madtracker go silently for 10-15 minutes. Although I'm a beta-tester, I don't think I'll search for this bug Smile

www.sonitusmusic.com
www.myspace.com/sonitusswe
www.vibraonline.com
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
CHICAGO¤lollie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08 2003 01:48    

Ah, you've got that habbit too, huh? Cool

I've found that, a couple of times actually, that I've forgotten that a song has actually ended and is looping the end pattern, and it takes me about 10 or 20 minutes to realise that. I haven't come across the whitenoise thing though, so it could very possibly be a simple soundcard/setup bug you've encountered there. Confused
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
Martin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08 2003 12:34    

I have encountered this bug once. I left MT playing while going out shopping. When I came back the music played really loud and very distorted, as if the sound had been acumulating over time. It did not sound healthy for my amp and speakers.

I have no idea what caused it - perhaps it`s certain delay settings that dont work well if looped for a long time??
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08 2003 22:06    

yeah, might be... Either way, it only bothers me when I forget that I'm playing a song and it suddenly dists. Not healthy for my ears Smile
Sonitus
Beta-Tester

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09 2003 18:37    

Sunbuster wrote:
yeah, might be... Either way, it only bothers me when I forget that I'm playing a song and it suddenly dists. Not healthy for my ears Smile

So, I take it you don't suffer from tinitus yet?

www.sonitusmusic.com
www.myspace.com/sonitusswe
www.vibraonline.com
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10 2003 16:46    

MyztiQue wrote:
Sunbuster wrote:

So, I take it you don't suffer from tinitus yet?

actually, I do, but it's not because of loud volume that I have it, but because of an ear infection I managed to get during my military service Sad Not a major issue for me (yet at least), because it's very regular (doesn't shift in intensity) and it's in the higher frequency region, so I don't notice it that much. Only when it's completely silent around me or when I consiously think about it can I hear that faithfull companion Rolling Eyes
CHICAGO¤lollie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10 2003 21:28    

Wait... Is it like some high frequency sine kind of sound?
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10 2003 23:44    

well, basically yes... create a sinewave in a soundprog with a frequency of maybe 12-16kHz, play it and imagine having it loop in your ears/head forever. I'd say not having that sound in your ear is a pretty damn good reason to use ear-plugs when going to rock concerts, raves or similar Rolling Eyes
CHICAGO¤lollie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11 2003 11:02    

Sunbuster wrote:
well, basically yes... create a sinewave in a soundprog with a frequency of maybe 12-16kHz, play it and imagine having it loop in your ears/head forever. I'd say not having that sound in your ear is a pretty damn good reason to use ear-plugs when going to rock concerts, raves or similar Rolling Eyes

Man, I don't have to imagine it.
I actually though it was a really normal thing...

(to own father)...gee, THANKS dad! Now I know why I don't like listening to your music! Mad Loud music and early aged kids DO NOT mix Evil or Very Mad

Oh well, it happens, I guess.

Well, I decided to play a song that I knew looped at the end, let it play for about half an hour, and still no blast of white noise.

Where's Inge? He seems to know a hell of a lot of stuff about these kinds of things, right?
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11 2003 16:16    

I only know that you should stop a song whenever it stopped Smile Probably some nna bug that keeps a loop looping and increasing in volume or something.

Inge

Care for a game of Monopoly?
CHICAGO¤lollie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11 2003 21:30    

Drat... Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT + 1 Hour