Forum
General discussion
 No inspiration, what to do?
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Goto page 1, 2  Next
FeebleBrain

PostPosted: Wed May 07 2003 09:26    
No inspiration, what to do?

I guess this “problem” we all have time to time. No inspiration for a new track ! Like everyone I always try to do better then the song before. So, the question is : How do we get more inspiration !? Explore more styles, more vacation, more party, watch nude girls Wink ? All suggestions are welcome !

Greetz
View user's journal Send private message MSN Messenger
Pjo2000

PostPosted: Wed May 07 2003 10:23    
Inpiration

Hrmm, in my experience....lay off it for a while.

These things come in waves, a month down the track you'll stumble accross a sample, something as simple as a kick drum that writes a whole song in your head for you. you wont be able to stop tracking until the entire song is done. Smile

Another way is to think of the things that have happened to you in your life, good and bad and zoom in on one particular thing.. see how it makes you feel when you assess the situation over and over and then make a song.

I tend to focus on the bad, makes the songs way more interesting and dark.

my 2 cents

http://www.projectoverkill.com
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Walter Vos

PostPosted: Wed May 07 2003 10:45    

Tracking the day after a good houseparty is always interesting for me. Razz I just find it very hard to really make a song out of an idea... Crying or Very sad (still getting better though, so there's still hope i guess... Rolling Eyes )

what is hip?

www.waltervos.nl
Sonitus
Beta-Tester

PostPosted: Wed May 07 2003 14:41    

When you come home from a 10 hour party, you're totally filled with inspiration and ideas. So if you're not too burned or hung over, you can make tons of music. I realise that not many of the people in here goes to these kind of parties (I've not been to that many either) but still, it's true...

Anyway, I usually get good inspiration when the weather is nice outside. Oh, and always during nighttime, when I really should go to bed. That's often the reason for my oversleeps Very Happy
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Wed May 07 2003 16:33    

Parties are a good source. Like MyztiQue, I get a lot of inspiration at night.
New music is also a good inspiration, but there for me at least the source tends to be music that I usually don't produce. Like "Genesis - Driving the last spike", no way would I ever be able to produce such a piece, but it's still a source of inspiration.
Also, like pjo2000 said, there's no use trying to force inspiration. If it isn't there, lay off, do something completely different, forget all about making music for a while.
D Vibe

PostPosted: Wed May 07 2003 17:21    

Andreas Tilliander, a Swedish electronica producer, said in the Swedish computer music paper "Studio", said that it's best to avoid to listen to your "own" genre when trying to find inspiration. Otherwise it'll only be inbreeding .. Laughing ... I think that's quite correct, don't you think? Wink

https://www.dvibe.se
Sonitus
Beta-Tester

PostPosted: Wed May 07 2003 17:47    

c-frog wrote:
Andreas Tilliander, a Swedish electronica producer, said in the Swedish computer music paper "Studio", said that it's best to avoid to listen to your "own" genre when trying to find inspiration. Otherwise it'll only be inbreeding .. Laughing ... I think that's quite correct, don't you think? Wink

Yeah, I guess that's true. I can't say that I don't listen to my "own" genre to search for inspiration though, because I often do. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and if it doesn't, I usually just lay back and continue (as already suggested) some other time when the inspiration is back again.

One more thing, making music in a real studio is quite an inspiration-ignition. Just being in a studio almost instantly gives me tons of ideas. Even just visiting a studio can give inspiration IMO. Unless you just think of how much you want to have the studio yourself of course Laughing

I visited one of Sweden's largest music-studios a couple of weeks ago. I sat lay-backed in a comfortable chair, listened to the perfect acoustic of the room and the perfectly clear, crisp sound of the 7.1 system...my god! I could feel the inspiration growing inside my head. It was pure "audio-masturbation"! Wink
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Wed May 07 2003 18:33    

I *always* work sample-based. I just play around with the presets of numerous softsynths, untill I find sounds that inspire me to do anything with them. All my songs were based on this procedure, and so far it works like a charm.

In other words: time to buy new (soft)synths and experiment your digital hands off! Smile

Inge

Care for a game of Monopoly?
Enonimis
Regular

PostPosted: Wed May 07 2003 22:24    
Re: No inspiration, what to do?

FeebleBrain wrote:
I guess this “problem” we all have time to time. No inspiration for a new track ! Like everyone I always try to do better then the song before. So, the question is : How do we get more inspiration !? Explore more styles, more vacation, more party, watch nude girls Wink ? All suggestions are welcome !

Greetz

Hey nice Avatar, is that from a cd labeling kit, perhaps? I used to use that brain as a cd label for my earlier demos, so I recognized it. Looks good B+W too.

cheers,
~Enon

If you do not agree with my opinions, you are wrong. If you do agree with my opinions you are drunk.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://elrick-enonimis.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
em22

PostPosted: Thu May 08 2003 16:55    
There is one way....

Like I read before, after a good party night or a house party. I like to take some added extras while I'm partying which affect the mood i end up in the next day.

When I'm stuck, reeeally stuck, i will go and get some whizz, just a few bombs and the brain starts to over cook with ideas, beats and lyrics. just make sure you have everything ready to go.

I'm not advising anyone do what I do, but I found it works everytime over the last few months.

Very Happy

em22
View user's journal Send private message
FeebleBrain

PostPosted: Thu May 08 2003 17:50    

Wow ! Thanks for all those suggestions so far !!
Okay, I party a lot, and sometimes I do get a impulse that’s true…
I already started a while ago with listen to totally other genres and I came to the conclusion that I wanted to do them to (dnb or ambient for example) I also bought a real drum kit Cool Anyway, I came to the conclusion that those genres are more difficult (for me) then…eeh...just the same old trance stuff. So I think I just have to practice on that.
I think Inge’s idea of playing around with synths till you get a sound that hit’s you is a good plan, although one sound isn’t a whole track Smile
So I now go further with listen to other genres, party a lot, take more drinks, going to disturb my neighbours with more synthriffs and try not making music for a little while….and the summer is on his way too ! Woooh, Nothing can go wrong now Laughing !

Greetz
FeebleBrain

PostPosted: Thu May 08 2003 18:31    
Re: No inspiration, what to do?

Quote:

Hey nice Avatar, is that from a cd labeling kit, perhaps? I used to use that brain as a cd label for my earlier demos, so I recognized it. Looks good B+W too.

cheers,
~Enon

Yes! You’re right Enon ! I ripped the brain pic from a cheap cd label kit, it’s the only brain I could find quick but it’s a good one Wink
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Thu May 08 2003 19:20    

FeebleBrain wrote:
I think Inge’s idea of playing around with synths till you get a sound that hit’s you is a good plan, although one sound isn’t a whole track Smile

The cute thing is that softsynths can make more than one sound Wink Simply generate and manipulate multiple samples from various sources (pro53, fm7, absynth or whatsoever quality synth), sample them and start playing around with them. So far, once I found something good, additional material always could be found. It's just the first threshold that should be stepped over.

Good luck with summervibesdrum'nbassproducingambientsoftsynthsamplingmadness,
Inge

Care for a game of Monopoly?
D Vibe

PostPosted: Thu May 08 2003 21:15    

I'm not sure this is a very good idea, but for me it works best to not do music if I feel I don't have any inspiration at all. At least not start any new project at all. I think this is the best way to achieve quality, not quantity .. It's not really efficient though Laughing

But I must say that if I have a deadline to work for I get very efficient, and often it gets quite well, even though there's always things to fix and do after the module is finished for the deadline.. Smile

/Daniel

https://www.dvibe.se
lordset

PostPosted: Thu May 08 2003 23:53    
IDDLA ODDLA

ok i know it´s been said that you get insperation at night. I just want to ad that you get lot´s of it when you´r tierd as hell to and your eys look something like this Shocked haha... and it depens on whith music you are making to. if you do dark shit like me nights are the ultimate ting. IDDLA ODDLA

dommeni
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 2 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next