MadTracker.org
Forum - Should the old forum sourcecode be published?
 Forum
Website
 Should the old forum sourcecode be published?
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Yeah, cool!
41%
 41%  [ 7 ]
Naaah, I never want to see it again, ever
17%
 17%  [ 3 ]
Dunno, I wouldn't know how to use it anyway
41%
 41%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 17

Daxx909

PostPosted: Fri May 09 2003 07:05    

Well?

Did you ever think about using it on your own site?

After all is said and done, more is said than done.
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Fri May 09 2003 14:29    

It would be cool to look through it, to see how Yannick planned the thing, and for future reference. But I doubt I'd use the code as such, probably would make changes to it or even more probably still write my own code.
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Daxx909

PostPosted: Fri May 09 2003 19:26    

I think it would be nice to see how a (pardon my word choice Wink) basic forum is built.

I would have to convert it to ASP/ASP.NET if I wanted to host it (for my dad's website Razz). But I don't think that will be a big problem. I could release that version as well (via madtracker.org?) if someone would be interested in that.

But then it would have to be released first... Confused

What do you think about about this, Yannick? You don't use it anymore, so you might as well make it OpenSource! Very Happy

View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CHICAGO¤lollie

PostPosted: Fri May 16 2003 00:44    

It was a user-friendly forum. Really easy to get into... Smile

Vote "YES" for old forum sourcecode!
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
Daxx909

PostPosted: Fri May 16 2003 20:16    

A "dunno" reply could just as well be counted as "Yes".

I bet Yannick was the only guy who voted "No", right? Rolling Eyes That's a bummer... Sad

Yannick
MadTracker Author

PostPosted: Fri May 16 2003 20:41    

No, I voted for "Dunno, I wouldn't know how to use it anyway". Because I really think you would say "d'oh! what's that for a code?" when you see it. Wink

I can release it though... Don't see any problem with that.

Yannick
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
Daxx909

PostPosted: Fri May 16 2003 22:36    

That would be great!!!

I bet I made messier code in the past! Wink
Gettin' better though... so I hope, heheh

D Vibe

PostPosted: Fri May 16 2003 22:52    

But isn't this very forum engine freeware?

/Daniel

https://www.dvibe.se
Blaster

PostPosted: Fri May 16 2003 23:31    

This one yes, the old one was made by the man with the plan, who was probably drunk at the time or something Wink
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Enonimis
Regular

PostPosted: Sat May 17 2003 01:38    

I had nothing to do with it.

~E

If you do not agree with my opinions, you are wrong. If you do agree with my opinions you are drunk.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://elrick-enonimis.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
D Vibe

PostPosted: Sat May 17 2003 09:42    

Spaceman wrote:
This one yes, the old one was made by the man with the plan, who was probably drunk at the time or something Wink

What I meant was that this forum engine is both better for the forum members and easier to control for the webmaster than the one Yannick has written Very Happy

/Daniel

https://www.dvibe.se
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Sat May 17 2003 19:16    

this forum code has also been developed by a team of coders ower a couple of years at least, while Yannick, as usual, probably did a one man show again Laughing
But I bet my code for the simple admin tool I made is far more messy than the code for the forum. I've got about 680 lines of code, just to be able to edit a couple of pages online. Haven't quite figured out how to effectively make reusable code yet(functions in other words) Confused
Daxx909

PostPosted: Sun May 18 2003 08:34    

Sunbuster wrote:
this forum code has also been developed by a team of coders ower a couple of years at least, while Yannick, as usual, probably did a one man show again Laughing

Yes, but the threaded view of the previous forum worked great for many years. I could see entire discussions and how people reacted to them (via the icons).
Now I have to look at some numbers and colored folders; I have to click on each topic to see what's happening. This forum might have more features, but the previous forum still has its charms.

Sunbuster wrote:

But I bet my code for the simple admin tool I made is far more messy than the code for the forum. I've got about 680 lines of code, just to be able to edit a couple of pages online. Haven't quite figured out how to effectively make reusable code yet(functions in other words) Confused

OH MY GOD! That's just..... EVIL! Twisted Evil
What programming/scripting language are you using?

Sunbuster

PostPosted: Sun May 18 2003 09:28    

Daxx909 wrote:
Sunbuster wrote:

Yes, but the threaded view of the previous forum worked great for many years. I could see entire discussions and how people reacted to them (via the icons).
Now I have to look at some numbers and colored folders; I have to click on each topic to see what's happening. This forum might have more features, but the previous forum still has its charms.

true, it had it's charms. And for a one man show I think it was a great piece of work Smile

Daxx909 wrote:

Sunbuster wrote:

OH MY GOD! That's just..... EVIL! Twisted Evil
What programming/scripting language are you using?

hehe, I'm using PHP+JavaScript togheter with MySQL. But like I said, functions are still a bit of an unexplored territory for me, and while I was doing this admin tool I just wanted to get it done "quickly", so I didn't take the time to fully understand how functions work. But if I was to remake the tool now, I'd sure as hell figure out functions first Shocked
Daxx909

PostPosted: Mon May 19 2003 18:15    

Sunbuster wrote:
hehe, I'm using PHP+JavaScript togheter with MySQL. But like I said, functions are still a bit of an unexplored territory for me, and while I was doing this admin tool I just wanted to get it done "quickly", so I didn't take the time to fully understand how functions work. But if I was to remake the tool now, I'd sure as hell figure out functions first Shocked

You should not be *allowed* to program *anything* without knowledge of ultra-basic stuff like functions! Smile

Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 2 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next