Forum
General discussion
 sblive win2k midi port problem
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Jesse Moore

PostPosted: Tue May 20 2003 21:58    
sblive win2k midi port problem

Just a question... but first the problem

The midi port on my soundblaster live! (platinum 5.1) isn't working properly. Win2k is using hte live! value drivers for the card and I have updated everything possible. The problem is that when I hook my music keyboard up to the midi port on the card, I cant input notes using the keyboard.

I reactivated my onboard sound midi port and that is working fin for midi in. but I would rather not have both soundcards active.

Now the quesiton.

Does anyone else have this problem?

If ya need more info just ask...

"The world would be a dull place if there were no Idealists"
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Tue May 20 2003 23:11    

Ever tried the alternative KX-drivers? From what I've read, they can do almost everything (apart from EAX 2.0 support), and they are said to be rock-stable and much more versatile than the native creative-drivers. You can find the drivers & software at www.kxproject.com

Another possibility would be to completely de-install your live, and do a fresh install of the card with the latest drivers from the creative site.

Since I don't have a live myself, I can't tell if it could also be a configuration in one of the menu's of the live software, but I guess you already looked through these menu's yourself.

Kind regards, and keep us informed,
Inge

Care for a game of Monopoly?
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Tue May 20 2003 23:18    

Are you now saying you can't enter any notes in Madtracker, or are you speaking generally, meaning you can't enter any notes in any program?

In madtracker there are a couple of things to check:

1. check if midi is enabled: edit->midi enabled
2. check that you have the correct midi input device (since you have two soundcards): edit->configuration->midi tab->input device

There is a program one can use to see if any midi signals are recieved from the midi device, which would help in determining if it really is the port on your card that is not working or if it's a matter of settings. But I've forgotten what the name of the program is, I should have it on my HDD somewhere, but can't seem to find it Embarassed
Jesse Moore

PostPosted: Tue May 20 2003 23:33    

Okay guys, thanks for the input (no pun intended). I'll try the new drivers, but I was able to fudge around and fix the thing for now.

the sound blaster live uses two synth banks (A and B) I was using synth A for audition (in madtrackers midi config) and was getting no sound. I switched over to Synth B and now I have sound.

Ill let ya know how the new drivers work out when I test them.

Jesse Moore

PostPosted: Tue May 20 2003 23:36    

Inge wrote:
Ever tried the alternative KX-drivers? From what I've read, they can do almost everything (apart from EAX 2.0 support), and they are said to be rock-stable and much more versatile than the native creative-drivers. You can find the drivers & software at www.kxproject.com

Another possibility would be to completely de-install your live, and do a fresh install of the card with the latest drivers from the creative site.

Since I don't have a live myself, I can't tell if it could also be a configuration in one of the menu's of the live software, but I guess you already looked through these menu's yourself.

Kind regards, and keep us informed,
Inge

Yeah, the configurations menus are where I screwed up. Smile

Jesse Moore

PostPosted: Wed May 21 2003 00:26    

sunbuster:

I wasnt able to enter notes in any program before i made the changes. Sorry about the lack of info, I was trying to avoid a long post because I know how much you guys hate them. I'll write a long post next time I have a question though Wink

em22

PostPosted: Wed May 21 2003 01:51    

The old joys and trickery of midi. Hmm, I have never been a great fan of any type of midi-ness to do with music. I once pulled all my hair out in a studio, when there was somesort of evil midi gremlin screwing everything up. We solved it by floggin the computer to the studio next door, who only then pestered myself eveytime they saw me, to come and help with thier new midi problem. Cool

and as moses was at the top of mount holy one, god spoke :

"and number eleven, I forgot to add to that slab is 'thou shalt not reape any joys from midi and all those who intercourse with her'".

Definetly. Hope that helps Razz

em22
View user's journal Send private message
mikx

PostPosted: Wed May 21 2003 06:54    

Quote:
Hmm, I have never been a great fan of any type of midi-ness to do with music.

now hold your horses mister!! as far as i remember, you were one to flame away at certain people who didn't use midi in MT2 back in the old forum eh??

or maybe my memory has leaks.. (need the new RDR!!)

Razz
-mikx
Jesse Moore

PostPosted: Wed May 21 2003 07:53    

Okay guys, I fixed the priblem. I had to select either synth A or B and not the software synth or whatever other option when I configure the Midi-I/O in any program I use. Problem solved. The fact that I installed an update for my creative drivers helped somewhat.

The kxproject drivers are gonna requite a little attention to install. I tried to install them like any other windows driver and they didn't install properly (win2k/xp may requires fudging so they say) I will try them again though, because I found the proper instructions.

Thanks a lot for your help guys !!!! Very Happy

Sunbuster

PostPosted: Wed May 21 2003 10:30    

Jesse Moore wrote:
sunbuster:

I wasnt able to enter notes in any program before i made the changes. Sorry about the lack of info, I was trying to avoid a long post because I know how much you guys hate them. I'll write a long post next time I have a question though Wink

no prob, maybe it's worth writing a bit longer sometimes Wink
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Wed May 21 2003 22:30    

Jesse Moore wrote:
The kxproject drivers are gonna requite a little attention to install. I tried to install them like any other windows driver and they didn't install properly (win2k/xp may requires fudging so they say) I will try them again though, because I found the proper instructions.

Please let us know your experience with the KX drivers if you can get it to work, and the problems you ran into. So far I haven't spoke to people who use the KX drivers for Madtracker, so I would be enlightened to hear your experiences with them.

Kind regards, and good luck configuring/tracking,
Inge

Jesse Moore

PostPosted: Thu May 22 2003 01:47    

Inge:

I will be sure and post everything for you about the kx drivers.

Jesse Moore

PostPosted: Fri May 23 2003 00:15    

Inge:

There are some special instructions on installing the kx drivers for the Creative labs cards. It is in a faq on the kx project's site. The authors of the driver sugest triying the setup program first though. I did that first and then I tried the special instructions for installing the drivers and software. Using the special instructions worked. You all would not believe the improvement to the sound in Madtracker over using creative's drivers. It is most impressive. Quite a bit more stereo and reverb when playing back. I would suggest the kx drivers, definitely. And I will keep ya informed. Very Happy

Jesse Moore

PostPosted: Fri May 23 2003 04:38    

Like I said, the kx drivers work good in Madtracker. Totally good as a matter of fact.

The one problem I did find though: Directsound driver-based applications no longer work correctly. If you are able to change the directsound driver (such as in a game, or whatever), change it.

Also If you have an ATI based card you are geting sound from (such as a tv tuner), you may lose the capability to contorl you sound in your ATI software. If this is the case, make sure you have a cable connected to the sound source on the tuner card going to the line-in on your sound car. This wast the case wit h mine, I was hooked in through the cd audio inputs on both card and couldn't hear a thing from the tuner, until i made the stereo plug connections as I described.

So, Use the KX Project drivers only if you are sure you don't need directsound drivers for anything.

That's it for now. I'll keep posting as I find out stuff.

Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Fri May 23 2003 08:40    

Thank you! I'm most pleased with this knowledge, in order to help others in the future. Your efforts are much appreciated here.

Inge

Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT + 1 Hour