MadTracker.org
Forum - Royalty free track availability?
 Forum
General discussion
 Royalty free track availability?
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Ginseng
User

PostPosted: Mon May 26 2003 03:32    
Royalty free track availability?

I'm new to this forum (hi!) but have been tracking since SoundTracker 1.0 on Amiga (late 80's!), and using MadTracker for a couple of years since upgrading from FastTracker.

I'm wondering if there are any track artists out there who release their music for royalty free use, or perhaps on some limited usage licence?

Among other things, my company sometimes creates Flash presentations for websites or multimedia presentations for offline use. Finding high quality music is hard unless we compose it ourselves or pay an arm and a leg for it, and frankly there is usually not a budget for it in terms of either cash or time... (My own music compositions are not broad enough to cover many of our presentations.) There are a few artists who provide good resources (like Bjorn Lynne) but I need to find more of a range.

I thought the tracking scene might be a good place to look because it's a very community-minded crowd...

If there are any websites (free? shareware? donationware? postcardware? creditware? even commercial?), archives, or even lists of links out there please let me know.
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Mon May 26 2003 11:11    

I'm sure if you check through the music section here, and find something you like, then all you have to do is ask the composer. I recon most people on here would be more than happy if their tunes were used for presentations or similar. And if you find some artist whose style you like, but he/she hasn't got anything that would suit your particular need, then again all you have to do is send a e-mail and ask. I'm pretty sure most would be more than happy to make something, provided they find the inspiration Wink
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Martin

PostPosted: Mon May 26 2003 11:22    
suggestion

I think that most trackers make tracks for the shear joy of it, and I am sure that many would help you out without charging an arm and a leg.

But why search for artists - why dont you make a combo or something with some nice prices, and reserve the right to use entered material (within reasonable limits). This would hopefully provide you with a nice database of material to use - and also a reason for "trackers" to help you out. And you could also have more influence on what kind of music you want. If you choose to use some of the contributions I am sure that wouldnt cost you too much.

Just a suggestion Smile

- Martin
TNK / ATK project

Location: Village-Neuf, France (Dont's search on the map, it's tiny...)
PostPosted: Mon May 26 2003 18:43    

From all I know, unless you are some big international Star (Robbie Williams,...) with top lawyers, companies will use your tracks with or without your approval, and often without giving you a cent...

Vitaminic - or even mp3.com I think - have licensing departments, and the choice there is broad enough to find everything you need.

Another option would be to ask for a particular style and ask the madtracker freaks to do the track, and pay them a bit. You know, we trackers are usually not as expensive as John Williams Smile

Regards,

Switzerland : #1 earthquake provider! (Bootyshakin' Willhelm Tell ?!?)
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Mon May 26 2003 20:39    

I even think almost everyone here would do it for free, if they are attracted to the project and the creative possibilities. I, for instance, would do if it would apply to me and if I would find it interesting enough.

Come on...mainly musical losers here, isn't it? Very Happy

Inge

Care for a game of Monopoly?
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Mon May 26 2003 21:35    

Inge wrote:

Inge

I prefer the term "missunderstood artist" Very Happy

but like Inge, I'd be more than happy to give it a try, as long as the theme somehow gets me inspired.
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Tue May 27 2003 00:03    

Sunbuster wrote:
Inge wrote:

Inge

I prefer the term "missunderstood artist" Very Happy

Hehe...I even misunderstand myself when I listen back my music Wink

Ginseng: be more specific about your demands, and we will all see, wonder and try.

Inge

Care for a game of Monopoly?
Ginseng
User

PostPosted: Thu May 29 2003 08:29    

All excellent suggestions guys, thanks.

Martin, I particularly like your idea coz I'd love to see something like this done... Not that I don't have enough hobby projects already though. Smile

Speaking of which, am I imagining things or did Traxinspace just disappear?

I might start with the music archive on this site and see if I can find something. I'm looking for something trancey, upbeat but not too heavy and not too cute. It's to go alongside a futuristic intro that is kinda based a little on the graphics in the intro to the movie Enemy of the State and a little on www.furmanite.com

Cheers!

--
The universe operates via the complex interweaving of three basic elements: Energy, matter, and enlightened self interest.

> Ginseng
TNK / ATK project

Location: Village-Neuf, France (Dont's search on the map, it's tiny...)
PostPosted: Thu May 29 2003 12:13    

Hi !

>Speaking of which, am I imagining things or did Traxinspace just disappear?

It did dissapear...and it's a real pity it has. Many of us are now "homeless" on the web, as long as what concerns their modules (for free music sites, we now must spread our music in .mp3 format)

>I might start with the music archive on this site and see if I can find something. I'm looking for something trancey, upbeat but not too heavy and not too cute.

Altough I know this part of the forum is not for advertising purposes, you might find what you are looking for at my trance project's
page : http://stage.vitaminic.com/main/atk_project/all_tracks/

Regards,

Switzerland : #1 earthquake provider! (Bootyshakin' Willhelm Tell ?!?)
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT + 1 Hour