No
19%
 19%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 57

LoneStar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17 2004 19:03    
Re: CD content

maz wrote:
After all, the best solution would be to not speak about a separate CD but to simply include everything at the MT3 CD Smile

What the... could it be that someone here *doesn't look at someone particular* knows something we all don't know?
Mr. Green

Greetz
LoneStar
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17 2004 19:06    

LoneStar wrote:
maz wrote:
After all, the best solution would be to not speak about a separate CD but to simply include everything at the MT3 CD Smile

What the... could it be that someone here *doesn't look at someone particular* knows something we all don't know?
Mr. Green

Greetz
LoneStar

Okay, okay, I admit:

I'm dating Cameron Diaz again. I know this will be rather shocking to some of you guys, but we can't have it any other way. Our breakup was nothing more than a temporal flaw.

Inge

Care for a game of Monopoly?
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17 2004 19:29    

Inge wrote:
LoneStar wrote:
maz wrote:

Mr. Green

Greetz
LoneStar

Okay, okay, I admit:

I'm dating Cameron Diaz again. I know this will be rather shocking to some of you guys, but we can't have it any other way. Our breakup was nothing more than a temporal flaw.

Inge

didn't work out with Catherine Zeta-Jones then, huh? Rolling Eyes
Yannick
MadTracker Author

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18 2004 08:36    

Thanks for your input maz!

The CD will indeed be a mixed CD (data+audio). And the problem is to pick the right tracks for the audio part.
I will concentrate first on the data part. I'll soon ask the compo artists to send me a sort of bio with pictures, etc. I also already contacted VST developers who agreed for the distribution of their plugins. So there should be quite a few interesting stuff on it - saving you hours of download time. Smile

If there are 6 tracks of 3'30" average, that will be around 480 MB left for the data part. As all the compo entries are 507 MB big (RAR compressed [otherwise it's 1 GB of MT2 files btw]) I won't be able to put them all on the CD. So there will be only the top-50 or top-30. However, all the artists should be featured with their bio and stuff.

Yannick
D Vibe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18 2004 17:36    

Is it too expensive to do a double cd?

/Daniel

https://www.dvibe.se
LogicDeLuxe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08 2004 22:48    

What about a DVD? You could put all the previous compo results on it as well, a ton of free VST plugins and many free samples. Wink

For mastering, I don't like to see it compressed to death like many recent CD releases unfortunately are. See Bob Katz's proposals for good leveling!

The jingle was somewhat overused. It should not appear that often, I think.
CHICAGO¤lollie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10 2004 15:10    

Wouldn't a DVD be even more expensive?

Sunbuster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10 2004 20:05    

I actually don't think DVD's are that much more expensive to produce than CD's these days, but yes it would be more expensive nonetheless. You could cram a lot more stuff onto a DVD, but I think one of the selling arguments here is that you're able to play tracked music in any CD-player. With a DVD, you automatically cut out all people who still haven't made the jump...
LogicDeLuxe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10 2004 20:39    

Sunbuster wrote:
With a DVD, you automatically cut out all people who still haven't made the jump...
Anyone here, don't have a DVD drive, yet? And for the idea of the standalone CDDA-Tracks, these could be integrated as PCM in a regular DVD-Menu playable by standalone players as well. That way it could be played even on a Playstation 2 with exactly the same or even better quality.
The little difference in the price, if there is one at all, certainly should be worth all the extra Gigabytes of nice stuff.
A DVD-5 should be virtualy the same production effort than a CD nowadays. I think, this should be realistic at a targetted price slightly lower than a regular Rock/Pop-CD.

And for those really don't have a DVD-drive yet, make a contract with a DVD-drive manufacturer and let them sell this DVD as OEM-Software. Very Happy
AndyWilliams

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11 2004 00:25    

Guys ! How can this go on for 7 pages Razz ??
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
CHICAGO¤lollie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11 2004 09:39    

AndyWilliams wrote:
Guys ! How can this go on for 7 pages Razz ??

Like this!
*ahem*

LogicDeLuxe wrote:
Anyone here, don't have a DVD drive, yet?

Only one in the computer I'm on now. Still got the computer a metre and a half away to upgrade. Rolling Eyes

LogicDeLuxe wrote:
And for the idea of the standalone CDDA-Tracks, these could be integrated as PCM in a regular DVD-Menu playable by standalone players as well. That way it could be played even on a Playstation 2 with exactly the same or even better quality.
The little difference in the price, if there is one at all, certainly should be worth all the extra Gigabytes of nice stuff.

Indeed, it would be worth it.
The only problem that would be encountered is that, anyone who's interested but is without a DVD drive (for some strange reason) will be at a loss.

Course, that's their problem. Smile

LogicDeLuxe wrote:
A DVD-5 should be virtualy the same production effort than a CD nowadays. I think, this should be realistic at a targetted price slightly lower than a regular Rock/Pop-CD.

$1.99? Bit cheap, don't 'cha think?

LogicDeLuxe wrote:
And for those really don't have a DVD-drive yet, make a contract with a DVD-drive manufacturer and let them sell this DVD as OEM-Software. Very Happy

Free unrelated software with every DVD-drive purchase!*
*DVD-Drive sold separately.

Yannick
MadTracker Author

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22 2005 15:09    

I thought it would be nice to update you about this project.

As I've been quite busy with MT 2.5 I couldn't really progress with it. But I've been quickly refrained by annoying legal issues.

If I want to produce an audio CD, I need the authorization of the SABAM (the Belgium RIAA) and to get that authorization I have to fill papers and make them sign by every author featured on the CD - even if the material is not officially copyrighted.

On the other hand, if I make a pure data CD, it will be much easier to skip all these legal annoyances.

What do you think of a DVD full of MT2 source files, samples and VST plugins? It could also feature hi-quality mastered versions of the compos results (instead of audio tracks). It would be in OGG (because MP3 requires expensive licensing: 2% of the revenues with a minimum of $2000 per year).

Yannick
LogicDeLuxe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23 2005 16:59    

Yannick wrote:
What do you think of a DVD full of MT2 source files, samples and VST plugins? It could also feature hi-quality mastered versions of the compos results (instead of audio tracks). It would be in OGG (because MP3 requires expensive licensing: 2% of the revenues with a minimum of $2000 per year).
Great. Though I would prefer the FLAC for mastered tracks, and let the user convert it to whatever they wish. Average duration of 4 minutes 95 times compressed to half size would take about 2 GB, rough guess.

Btw. how much would it take putting all the compo results (including the previous compos) in its source format together? Does it fit on one DVD?
Yannick
MadTracker Author

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23 2005 17:20    

Using FLAC will require too much space. I'd rather use 256kbps OGG files which are more than enough for listening purposes. Conversion from OGG to MP3 can still be made afterwards.

The last 3 compo entries take a rough 1.7 GB of data.

Yannick
TOffe
Beta-Tester

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23 2005 17:37    

Yannick wrote:
and to get that authorization I have to fill papers and make them sign by every author featured on the CD - even if the material is not officially copyrighted.

damn, that are alot of papers if all the songs from the three big compos would be featured on that dvd.

http://www.sonitusmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/meltic

"You don't get harmony when everybody sings the same note." -Doug Floyd
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 7 of 8 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next