Forum
Help and support
 final mastering
Reply to topic Post new topic  
kelp7
User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06 2003 11:15    
final mastering

How do people do the final mastering of their songs? I understand that sinc interpolation is the best quality for wave export, but do any of you use any further techniques? Compression maybe? or some EQing? How do you do it?
View user's journal Send private message
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06 2003 13:27    

When I do my mastering (and keep in mind I'm a novice at this compared to some people on here), I export all channels/instruments separately, and then import them into a session in CEP2. There I apply compression, EQ, reverb (if needed) and so on. I also adjust all levels again, starting from the drums. Then I do a mixdown, which I import into a new session, where I apply a compressor and limiter (maybe some EQ) on the whole mix. Then I leave the tune for a week or so, come back with fresh ears and listen to it again, adjusting things I find disturbing.

And definetly export in sinc quality, no reason not to do, since it's not realtime anyway.
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
kelp7
User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06 2003 16:37    

Okay, cheers, I'll have to try and find out about CEP2 then...
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06 2003 23:24    

http://www.syntrillium.com/cep/

there ya go Wink
kelp7
User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07 2003 10:08    

Hi,

Yeah, I realised after I posted that last message the you were talking about Cool Edit Pro. Which I don't have unfortunately. Although I *do* have Cool Edit 96, but i'm not sure it can do what you are suggesting.

So, do you import all track WAV files into CEP2? And then somehow it can combine them all into a finished singular WAV file?

Ben
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07 2003 13:46    

yep, I import all tracks into a multitrack CEP2 session. There I can the add compressors, limiters etc to each track separately and in realtime tweak the settings. When I'm done I just hit "mixdown selected tracks" and I get one wav file with the whole tune, which I can then save to mp3 or further tweak on if I want. Multitrack editing is afaik not available in other than the "pro" versions of Cool Edit. And realtime fx is only available as of version 2.

You can download a trial version of CEP2 from their homepage, or download the appropriate files with certain programs Wink
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07 2003 16:55    
Another view

Mastering is one of the most talked-about topics on every producer's forum. The only thing I can advice you is to read much, and to experiment even more. A path to a personal improvement would be to try multiple routes that other producers followed. In follow-up to Sunbuster, here's my procedure.

-finish your song. Be very sure that everything is in its right place, your samples are clean (remove hiss, clicks, bad loops etc), and that both volume and panning are perfectly mixed. Make the song as good as possible in mt2.
-disable all non-automated or song-specific fx. If you have a non-dynamic reverb on a track (in other words, it's not automated), disable it. The same goes for all other fx that can't be redone later with a decent directx or vst plugin
-extract all individual instruments to waves (48/24/stereo)
-place everything in your favourite multitrack sequencer (which is Acid in my case)
-start adding the needed fx to individual instruments (eq, reverb, echo, bass- or allround enhancers, flangers, or whatever you want)
-combine the parts that make up your drum section, compress them to make them fullfill their task in the song
-add the new drum-track to the song, and remove the old individual drum instruments
-merge all tracks to one wave
-apply eq, compression and/or reverb if necessary
-limit and maximise the resulting wave till you get the best overall loudness without getting your song to distort or loose all individual nuances in volumes
-write to Moby and get your song published.

As for programs: I use soundforge for sample-editing, wavelab for applying fx to the individual instrument-tracks (because it can apply up to six vst/dx plugins at the same time, and it's very fast), acid for sequencing (because it's more stable than cep2 on my setup, and because cep2 is bloody not-intuitive in my cognitive perception Wink) and the build-in mp3 decoder of wavelab for mp3-conversion.

As for plugins: get yourself the waves-dx plugins. Now. Furthermore, dl the BBE sonic maximiser, prosoniq dynasone, soundforge wavehammer and the tc reverbs. There you go. Enjoy. Very Happy

Writing this takes ten minutes. Doing it right takes two weeks. Get started for a total lack of social life, daylight and life-enjoying things. Smile

Inge

Care for a game of Monopoly?
kelp7
User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07 2003 20:14    
mastering

Thanks for all the help and description above, very useful (not sure about the Moby bit though, i work in the opposite end of the electronic spectrum from him)... Smile
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08 2003 14:10    
Re: mastering

kelp7 wrote:
Thanks for all the help and description above, very useful (not sure about the Moby bit though, i work in the opposite end of the electronic spectrum from him)... Smile

Dino Cazares and his friends from Fear Factory would be most pleased to accept any form of integration of metal and electronics in that case Very Happy

Inge

Care for a game of Monopoly?
kelp7
User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08 2003 16:47    
Nope

Nope Smile Still not quite hit the nail on the head Smile

I find Moby's music a little simplistic and i dunno, Pop music... the only one I liked was 'Go' and that was years ago now.

No, my particular area is .... well... approximately, Aphex Twin, that sort of thing.

But i don't want to start a 'my-music-is-better-than-yours' discussion here Smile
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT + 1 Hour