Take the best from a pianoroll into a tracker
Reply to topic Post new topic  
spline
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05 2005 19:57    
Take the best from a pianoroll into a tracker

Trackers need to be updated.

I love trackers.
There are a few things that makes me prefere to work with them. Its the way you can use the keyboard to insert notes, instead of only using a midikeyboard or mouse.

The other things are:
You get a nice overview when it does not take as much space as a pianoroll.

Its easy to laydown the basic structure of a song.

However there is some things the way most tracker works that is not very smart or up to date compared to a pianoroll.

A lot of functionality in a pianoroll could be translated to a pattern editor to make it more efficient.

One of the thing is the fact that the noteoff is seperated from the note. In a pianoroll they are together as a block. This speed things up when deleting things, because it removes both the note and the noteoff.

It also lets you perform operations such as selecting several notes at once and adjusting the length of them simultainious.

Solution: Remove the noteoff that is below a note when you delete a note.

Sure there are a few cases when you could have had that noteoff left, but these are not in majority, so it does not slow down the workflow.

Let the user select several different notes in different tracks and cut/copy/drag n drop them.

Not just a single block.

Another thing I would like to see is that if you hold down shift and insert a note it also inserts a noteoff, that as long as you hold shift, you can move by pressing up or down arrow.

If it collides with a note further down, it is removed and if you release the shift key there is no noteoff, but if you keep holding shift and bring it up by pressing up it appears again.

There are more things you can do to take the best from a pianoroll and combine it into a tracker.

Forget about madtracker 3, I would like to see some of this in the next update madtracker Smile

The old behaviour could be kept as an option in the config.
View user's journal Send private message
Silas Rye

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08 2005 01:42    

Try changing the settings in the midi tab of configuration to recored key release. then your going to get automatic note off when you let up, then if you dont want it, delete the note off.
personlly i dont think the note off things are any problem.
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
snarkle
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08 2005 02:30    

Great idea, Spline. I hope this becomes a standard feature of trackers.

snarkle
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT + 1 Hour