MadTracker.org
Forum - Some MT3 ideas with screenshots !!!
 Forum
Suggestions
 Some MT3 ideas with screenshots !!!
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Goto page 1, 2  Next
tekdarcon
User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30 2005 15:06    
Some MT3 ideas with screenshots !!!

Hello there !

Maybe I should introduce myself at first because I´m new on the board. My name is Tek Darcon and I compose tracks since 1994. I use MadTracker since 2001. I´m not registered yet, but I´ll do so soon.

I want to say a big THANK YOU to Yannick for his excellent work so far !

But there are some little things about MadTracker that could be better. It already works great but some things just bugger me.

---

So here are my suggestions for MT3 with some screenshots. (Please get me right: these are not real screenshots of MT3 but of MT2 that I worked on with a graphic program to present my ideas.)

1. When you add a new instrument and you use lots of them (more than fit in the upper right window without scrolling) you scroll right, doubleclick on it and load a sample. Then you add another instrument and need to scroll again...

> Why not having the instruments in an own window with vertical scrolling and always-on-top-function ? The scrollbar in that window should stay in position and not jump to the upper position when clicking in another window ! (see screenshot)

2. In the instrument windows is a little keyboard but it can´t be used for composing.

> Why not having a little always-on-top-piano-keyboard that can be played with mouse (for editing too) and lights up when played by MIDI or PC keyboard ? Could also light up by the sounds of the chosen track (track cursor is in) when playing the song. Would be useful to add octave and instrument choser on top of the piano ! (see screenshot)

3. Automation is a usefull feature but it could be better it you could set accents on certain sounds and see them clearly.

> You could add an automation-display-choser on top of each track and show and edit the automation directly on the track. Of course you need to add the option "NONE" so that one can always see the track completely. (see screenshot)

4. If you need to decrease the volume quick (e.g. telephone or doorbell) you need to switch to the mixer or press stop or turn volume down on your hardware.

> If you extract the Instruments in an extra windows (see 1.) you win a lot of space on the upper right of the main windows ! Use it to add the master controls (volume, EQ and indicator in the main window) and some Quick-Function-Keys ! Those keys should have an UNDO function, a mute (all-sound-off) function and maybe delete-muted-tracks-in-this-pattern. The rest of the won space should be for the VST plugins. (see screenshot)

---

OK, hope you like my ideas !

So here come the screenshots:

PLEASE CLICK ON IMAGES TO VIEW !!!

View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
Comatose

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30 2005 16:23    

No Sir, I don't like it!!!

Before you read on I want you to know that I'm being brutally honest here, and would like to appoligize in advance if I push any buttons. We're all friends here

1. You're ideas are taking a perfectly good interface and f*&#ing it all up. Yes when you have a shitload of instruments loaded it's a pain in the as to have to scroll horizontally, and even more a pain in the ass when you decide to delete that instrument and it defaults back to the first one and when loading another sample you accidently load one in place of the first. Done that many times myself, perhaps that should be taken care of Yannick Wink From the looks of your screenhot looks to me like it's been turned into modplug to some degree, of which btw I think is one of the most assbackwards trackers that ever existed. However I don't think that those were your intentions though.

2. The keyboard in the instrument window is fine as and if it were to be altered to the liking of your screenshot would only complicate the ablitly to assign notes to a multi-sampled instrument in a time-efficient matter. Besides who in their right mind would want to enter note into the pattern with a mouse? Anyone?

3. Automations displayed on track? WTF? Again, complicates the ability to assign envelopes in a time-efficient matter.

4. Enter does this already Wink

The Master needs to remain with the rest of the mixer no matter what. Their is one think I like though, and that is the UNDO. That if using the new pattern manager could be placed under the delete pattern.

Again I appoligize if I've pushed any buttons. I'm just passionate when it comes to music, and the thought of MadTracker being altered that much would freak me out and put me in a psych ward.

Comatose
View user's journal Send private message
tekdarcon
User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30 2005 16:37    

Comatose wrote:

I'm being brutally honest here

That´s OK, I asked for your opinion with that subject !

Quote:

We're all friends here

Very Happy Good to know ! I would like to become an accepted member here. Cool

Quote:

Yes when you have a shitload of instruments loaded it's a pain in the as to have to scroll horizontally.

Yep, so why not trying this at least:
"The scrollbar in that window should stay in position and not jump to the left position when clicking in another window !"

Quote:

Besides who in their right mind would want to enter note into the pattern with a mouse? Anyone?

Think Yep, OK, you´re right I think.

Quote:

Automations displayed on track? WTF? Again, complicates the ability to assign envelopes in a time-efficient matter.

On this subject I my opinion differs from your´s. I think the way I realized it on my screenshot would be a good way to edit the automation.

Quote:

The Master needs to remain with the rest of the mixer no matter what.

Well - I would still find it useful to have a volume controle and indicators in the main window. That doesn´t mean that they have to be taken away from the mixer. Thay could be in both places and beeing linked. And besides that: An indicator with probably an auto-limiter would be quite useful !

Very Happy Wink
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
N0N

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30 2005 18:37    

I like the autoamtion idea. not so much the rest simply because a 2nd monitor would take care of it. although the master eq and volume control directly onto the interface would be sweet.

btw, vst's automation would have to be included as track specific which would complicate things I think. so maybe not edit them from the main window but at least view the automation in the main window. bigger brighter overall picture.

oh yea, I've worked with over 70 samples in a song b4, wasnt really that hard to fly through the samples with the keypads + and - keys, so that I dont think would need changing.

btw, yannick dont get rid of the old pattern overview thing, I will die if that gets trashed. but then if an undo was available I think it would be ok. ok done.

welcome aboard tekdarcon
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Comatose

PostPosted: Sun May 01 2005 01:38    

Opinions, suggestions, comments, and criticisms are always accepted here, as well as users. That is of course providing that things don't turn into a pissing match Wink Yannick would not care for that very much.

Part of my reaction to your ideas is based off the fact that I use a dual monitor setup, which in my opinion is the way to go. I use my left monitor for the pattern editor maximized to full screen, and my secodary monitor has pretty much everthing else open on it at all times for ease of being able to edit my settings to my hearts content. Now of course I do realize that not everyone has this luxury, and that perhaps a dual monitor setup may not work best for them. It's all a matter of personal preference per user. Very Happy

Have no fear of not being accepted here tekdarcon. We be Cool

Comatose
PyroZane

PostPosted: Sun May 01 2005 14:16    

I love that automation idea!
Before the vsts came, I used the 3xx effect alot, now have to use "portamento" automation, to get the same effect. and sometimes I have to fine adust the vst over 2 lines, and that is a hell of a job as it is, counting lines etc. You can always have both ways to create a automation, if you want to make a faster automation as well? I also miss a copy/paste ability for automation like "shift + f4/f5" execpt that its only for the automation.

http://pyrozane.madtracker.net/
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Emoposer

PostPosted: Tue May 03 2005 00:41    
automation-

**** YEAH.
as well as master volume!
some good ideas here!
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
XnmE

PostPosted: Tue May 03 2005 12:14    

PyroZane wrote:
I love that automation idea!
Before the vsts came, I used the 3xx effect alot, now have to use "portamento" automation, to get the same effect.

How do you do it?

Music Is ThE GatE
---------------------
ermi
User

PostPosted: Tue May 03 2005 14:49    

Yes, the automation idea is great! My friend thought about this same thing several years ago, when we were dreaming about Impulse Tracker 3...

I'm now deciding between Renoise and MadTracker. (Should I make a thread about it? Cool)
I wonder if any of them will have this feature in the next update.
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Tue May 03 2005 23:11    

About this automationthing: a rather quick-and-dirty solution would be to implement a 'move 90 degrees' option within the automation window. You could then use the pattern view full screen, tile the automation window, and do something that would come quite close to a vertical automation. Or is that too quick and dirty to make it useful at all?

Inge

Care for a game of Monopoly?
PyroZane

PostPosted: Thu May 05 2005 09:31    

XnmE wrote:
How do you do it?

Like this (24Kb):
http://pyrozane.madtracker.net/upload/Portamento.mt2

(You need vst "synth1", following beta version of mt)

Btw:
The automation looks easy on this 32line pattern, but if you use a 256line pattern and shorter portament effect than this song. It starts to get very difficult...

XnmE

PostPosted: Thu May 05 2005 18:40    

thanx! downloading

Music Is ThE GatE
---------------------
Comatose

PostPosted: Fri May 06 2005 03:20    

*gets back on soap box*

I have to agree with Pyrozane here. It could be a doable thing for 32 lines or even 64 in full screen mode, providing the follow line feature is turned off and the users resolution is set hight enough.

Inge your quick and dirty vertical automation option could be a solution, no matter how sick and perverse it is. Razz j/k

Thinking more about this idea in retrospect, I could see it as potentially being beneficial to single monitor users. However if this idea were to be implemented into MT I'd prefer it to be an optional thing to be set by the user to best match their existing setup and personal preference.

MT should be efficient for all, not just for pricks like me that are spoiled with having a dual monitor set up. Angel

*Pleads his his insanity errrr innocence, jumps off soapbox, walks out door Whistle*

I dream of the day of having a quad monitor setup.Very Happy Now how's that for perverse? Hehe.

Peace All,

Comatose
PyroZane

PostPosted: Fri May 06 2005 23:28    

Another possibility for creating more accurate automations fast, would be like this? Very Happy

My idea is that the box in the middle (tracker interfased box) acts as a zoom box for where you put the automation points.

Another thing is to add "hexadecimal" support for automation points numbers as well, or add a hexadecimal to decimal calculator:) (also miss that in the drum patterns)

(Atleast I would have great use for more accurate automation possibility... I don't know about the rest of you Very Happy )

Last edited by PyroZane on Sat May 07 2005 01:04; edited 2 times in total
Comatose

PostPosted: Sat May 07 2005 00:45    

Daddy like!!!

Comatose
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 2 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next