Forum - my opinions on final 2.5
 Forum
Suggestions
 my opinions on final 2.5
Reply to topic Post new topic  
ChaK

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30 2005 20:21    
my opinions on final 2.5

To be honest I didn`t touched Madtracker for a long time. Well now, that I got a message in my box of a final MT2 2.5 version, I was curious and had to check it out. Below you find some things that I missed / would like to have or didn`t work at all due to a 4 hour session loading my old mt2 songs and try to improve em a little. About my tests with rewire on Cubase SX3 read in the registered users forum. Maybe some points repead the suggestions already mentioned in here from others, but I just wanna be complete Wink

First of all the quality of sound seems to got improved (testet on (M-Audio Revolution) Even tough I don`t know what interpolation is the best now ? Is there an explanation somewhere ?
The second thing is: No crashes due to all the tests and that is pretty SUPER!

- undo needed
- when you load a sample and it is played automaticly in the browser window, the sample are played with default setting (C-4) and when you load it the old settings are gone
-EQ automation ?
- the automation tool and instrument envelope setting/handling needs a big improvement. It is so often hard to catch the small dots to modify and how can i delete a right click created point ?
- sometimes the effect values of the used effects are not shown in the automation view
-track panning automation ?
-envelope of instruments limited to 323. from where does this number come from ? its not a half pattern (64) nor a full one ?
-often it is not shown on what channel something is playing in the small track window, but it`s shown in the mixer
-changes in the automation are only applied if a note is being played, that makes it pretty harder to find the right resonance and cutoff and volume settings, since you always have to wait until the instrument got hit. (Didn`t testet on vst`s only on the internal instruments samples)
-mid frequenzy lowest 400hz is bad for basses and bassdrums (I come to the conclusion that all the EQ`s are acting and sounding very different then from well known apllications. Maybe a new algorythm is needed here)
-automation used is not shown in the vst application
-possibility of recording movements done inside the vst (ok I know you can use the automation tool, but live recording is appregiated, maybe even via midi)
-a used vst effect is only updated in the mixerwindow after a reopen
- irc possibility to switch off join/parts messages

View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30 2005 22:20    
Re: my opinions on final 2.5

First off, you make some good points. However, you can already do some of the things you listed

ChaK wrote:

- the automation tool and instrument envelope setting/handling needs a big improvement. It is so often hard to catch the small dots to modify and how can i delete a right click created point ?

To remove points from an automation you left-click the point, hold down the left mouse button and then right click. A tip when working with the automation is also to stretch out the automation window so that it becomes larger than the default is. That way it becomes easier to work with.

ChaK wrote:

-often it is not shown on what channel something is playing in the small track window, but it`s shown in the mixer

I'm guessing you're talking about the oscilloscopes in the top left of the main window? To be honest I don't know why they don't always react to inputs like the mixer window does, but my guess is that they're not as sensitive as the mixer's VU display. Since they're so small anyway, it doesn't really make sence to put a lot of processing power into keeping them accurate.

ChaK wrote:

-changes in the automation are only applied if a note is being played, that makes it pretty harder to find the right resonance and cutoff and volume settings, since you always have to wait until the instrument got hit. (Didn`t testet on vst`s only on the internal instruments samples)

Here are a couple of tricks to get around that:

1. The volume for an instrument is always updated live if you change the volume in the mixer with the fader (yet another reason to keep your instruments on separate tracks). So my tip is to find the volume your looking for using the fader and then when you found it transfer the value to the automation.

2. To get a live feedback on affects of cutoff etc. do the following (I'm assuming you're talking about using automation and the instruments own cutoff, found under the synthesizer tab):

a) for the instrument you want to manipulate, open up the instrument window, go to the synthesizer tab and enable the filter, then set the cutoff to max and everything else to zero.
b) Go to the envelopes tab and select filter, check Enabled, then place a dot in the automation by right clicking. Move the dot to the top of the envelope (max value).
c) place the instrument in a track and open up the automation for that track, add a dot somewhere to the cutoff and resonance.
d) Now when you play the track you can tweak around with the cutoff and reso in the automation and the sound will update immediately, without you having to wait for the next note.

Hope that helped some Smile
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
ChaK

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31 2005 01:09    
Re: my opinions on final 2.5

Thank you Sunbuster for those helpful tips. And yeah, I was talking about instruments that already have the filter enabled.
I immediatly tried your suggestions and wow yeah, it solves some little troubles I had with Madtracker.

The trick to enable the cutoff in the envelope I already used a couple of times to prevent the automatic decay effect, but didn`t knew it affects the automation.

And for using an instrument explicit in some tracks I should have knewn before (or I should have had a better cpu a couple of years ago) hehe, cause yeah, moving the volume slide is much easier, that`s what I wish for panning and also live recording.

Thank you again and happy tracking Wink

View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31 2005 09:20    

No problem, glad I could help Smile
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT + 1 Hour