Forum
Suggestions
 cloning Instruments, & looping samples
Reply to topic Post new topic  
sheepoid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15 2005 00:42    
cloning Instruments, & looping samples

Part 1: Cloning instruments

In my opinion, a useful addition to MadTracker would be a means of duplicating or cloning an Instrument. Let's suppose you have 24 piano multisamples with an applied volume envelope. If you want to create a similar instrument using the same available 24 multisamples in order to apply a different envelope, filter or whatever, you have to tediously select them one at a time from the samples window. It's even more tedious if you need to apply the same pitch shifts to each sample in the new instrument that were applied in the instrument that you want to duplicate. Is this clear!?

It's nothing earth-shattering, but it would save time.

Part 2: Perfect sample loop points

I have a lovely set of high quality human choir samples. Problem is, they're just too short in duration for my needs. Solution: set up sample loop points. I have mixed success, sometimes I hit upon a perfectly looped sample, but often not. It's so time consuming trying to get a decent result. So, could Yannick include a little tool in the sample editor for finding loop points? You set the first point, and Yannick's smart looping tool will find the best possible match for the second point in terms of amplitude and slope.

If anyone knows of a sample editor that features automated accurate looping of samples then let me / the rest of this forum know. Sound Forge 6 has a good loop editor, but it's not automatic. You still got to do all the work.

Regards,

David.
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15 2005 08:59    

On part 1: Go to Instrument > save and save the instrument as an mti. After that it's simply a matter of loading the instrument using Load new instrument and changing envelopes as you need. Wink

On part 2: not sure, but I think Adobe Audition has a loop point finder. It would be a cool addition to Madtracker, but since it's not really a full out sample editor you might be better of using a dedicated sample editor anyway.
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
BeatMax

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15 2005 11:14    

As far as I know it definitely has one. When I was using it (previously called Cool Edit) it had an option "snap to zeros" which is pretty helpful. It gets a bit difficult if the loop point isnt at a zero value. If I am seeking loop points I often try to hear if the samples sounds periodical. E.g. if you have a voice with a vibrato you may put the loop points on the vibrato. The vibrato itself is periodical. Its like finding the loop point for the envelope of the sound. Of course this is just a rough method, but its good if you need to get the loop points fast.
I agree with you a snap to zero like loop point finder would be helpful. You get the best results with a dry signal, if you loop a reverbed signal you wont get seemless transitions. Thats not a problem if the sound isnt played solo.

BMX

-----------------------------------------------
B E A T M A X
Madtracker-Tutorial - Personal Releases
http://beatmax.madtracker.net
https://soundcloud.com/beatmax_prediction
-----------------------------------------------
Martin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15 2005 12:40    
Re: cloning Instruments, & looping samples

sheepoid wrote:
Part 1: In my opinion, a useful addition to MadTracker would be a means of duplicating or cloning an Instrument.

I totally agree with Sheepoid on cloning, and furthermore I would like this to be executeable by rightclicking and choosing "dublicate" (like layers in photoshop)

Loop point - Not an important feature for me, but would be nice of course.

~ http://martin.madtracker.net ~
TNK / ATK project

Location: Village-Neuf, France (Dont's search on the map, it's tiny...)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15 2005 12:41    

Sunbuster wrote:
On part 1: Go to Instrument > save and save the instrument as an mti. After that it's simply a matter of loading the instrument using Load new instrument and changing envelopes as you need. Wink

Doesn't it reload all the samples a second time ? I think that what sheepoid wanted (and I also want) is to clone the instruments without reloading a copy of the samples into the memory, especially when you have huge multisampled instruments.

Switzerland : #1 earthquake provider! (Bootyshakin' Willhelm Tell ?!?)
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
sheepoid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15 2005 13:46    

Sunbuster wrote:

That's an obvious solution - guaranteed to work, except of course it's extremely wasteful on memory! Consider a 130Mb multisampled Grand Piano Confused Three 'clones' of such an Instrument would be 3*130Mb = 390Mb. Ouch.

Sunbuster wrote:
On part 2: not sure, but I think Adobe Audition has a loop point finder. It would be a cool addition to Madtracker, but since it's not really a full out sample editor you might be better of using a dedicated sample editor anyway.

I just thought I'd put forward the idea anyhow. It would be a *nice* feature, but I don't in all seriousness expect Yannick to code such a thing (what with 99% of his spare time now consumed with MT3 - for sure?!?).

I noticed there's a program for the Mac that claims to be able to produce perfect or near-perfect looped samples of the sort that *I* want to loop... strings and brasses, and human choirs !

Regards,

David.
TNK / ATK project

Location: Village-Neuf, France (Dont's search on the map, it's tiny...)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15 2005 14:00    

sheepoid wrote:
That's an obvious solution - guaranteed to work, except of course it's extremely wasteful on memory! Consider a 130Mb multisampled Grand Piano Confused Three 'clones' of such an Instrument would be 3*130Mb = 390Mb. Ouch.

Exactly what I was saying.
But anyway, are you sure you need to have 130 Mb of samples for one Grand Piano ? My biggest .mti is 12 Mb large and I think it is already huuuuuggggeeeee !

I'ld like to see (and hear) that 130 megs large .mti
Could you send it to me via yousendit.com ? All you need is my e-mail address (philmeis@wanadoo.fr) and of course the file itself.

Switzerland : #1 earthquake provider! (Bootyshakin' Willhelm Tell ?!?)
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
sheepoid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15 2005 15:34    

TNK / ATK project wrote:
sheepoid wrote:

Exactly what I was saying.

Sorry! Now Sunbuster has effectively two identical replies to look at.

Quote:
But anyway, are you sure you need to have 130 Mb of samples for one Grand Piano ? My biggest .mti is 12 Mb large and I think it is already huuuuuggggeeeee !

I'ld like to see (and hear) that 130 megs large .mti
Could you send it to me via ...(snip)

The grand piano I was referring to was "VOLUME 18: Steinway Grand Piano", from Pro Samples. It's a commercial product, which cost me about £35 UKP (IIRC). So, I can't send it to you Crying or Very sad

Furthermore...

The full instrument would actually comprise 250 Mb of data... the piano was sampled on every note with long sustain from C0 up to C8 including all the sharps.

It depends how realistic you want your sounds to be. MT's Sinc interpolation is great, but the result is not as good as using multisamples, as you know. You're probably aware that there are commercial Piano VSTs on the market which comprise gigabytes of samples (but I can't afford one Crying or Very sad )

Regards,

David.
oldbrian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15 2005 17:41    

on part1: there's an option called Keep-on-disk. i know checking this box 24 times is a btch but still, a solution Smile
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15 2005 20:42    

oldbrian wrote:
on part1: there's an option called Keep-on-disk. i know checking this box 24 times is a btch but still, a solution Smile

Would have been my answer also. Although I do see the point of a duplicate function now.
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT + 1 Hour