Forum - CPU clustering (slave PCs)
 Forum
Suggestions
 CPU clustering (slave PCs)
Reply to topic Post new topic  
MagnarTBL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18 2005 23:22    
CPU clustering (slave PCs)

Anyone got good experiences with "linking" MadTracker2 to secondary PC(s) for distribute CPU powers?

I mean, if I run out of CPU power on one PC, I would like to use my other PCs to "slave" the main MT2 application over the network. This making a "CPU cluster" of several PCs running MadTracker2 to play the song with all plugins etc..etc...

I know this isn't a feature within Madtracker today (if I haven't missed anything that is:)), tho I hope for it to be someday. Because I like to use a LOT of plugins on my vocals and stuff = CPU drain deluxe Smile ... A clustering option whereas several MT2 applications "share" the same module file over the network would be great! = One place to edit the song, but several PCs to do the playback decently!

I believe the way to do it now is to work with Midi-timing to sync different mt2-files (meaning several files to edit, and no overall view of the song!)... And I am not even sure midi-sync works in practice with MT2, - I yet have to try that one out...

But midi solutions just isn't what I want in the long run. Why link on serial send/receieve midi cables when you got atleast a 100Mbit/s fullduplex network card in the pc.

So basicly; One MT2 "database file" that controls CPU-clustering PCs as slaves over the network = would be my dream come true! Smile

/M
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MagnarTBL

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19 2005 01:30    

.... I just relized that WaveExport would not really work by using several PCs controlled by midi-sync and working with different mt2 files for each of them...

As every PC would have its own waveexport, I would need to merge them somehow in a soundmixing process.

Well, I will experiment some more with this, because I run out of CPU quite fast on my latest song. I believe there should be clustering at somepoint in MT2 if you want to break the music industry limits that usually only are available in high-expensive recording studios.

... Or maybe I need to upgrade my 2GHz CPU to something better....
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19 2005 08:25    

Hmm, that would resemble something like pro tools has with their effect processing cards. More cards in your comp = more fx running simultaneously. This would be the open source way Smile But I would like to see such a feature also. In my latest project I'm running at the limits of my CPU also. Or if Yannick can figure out some way of making use of the GPU's processing powers, that would also be cool. But you do know that you could basically double what madtracker handles by switching to a dual core processor? Madtracker supports those Wink
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
MagnarTBL

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19 2005 09:09    

Dual-CPU power, yes..

...If I only had a lot of money to spend on a new PC right now... Smile
pOWL

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19 2005 19:40    

Hmm. The master and the slave would be connected via ethernet, hmh? I donīt know if a 10/100/1000 would be fast enough. Why donīt open a second madtracker and sync them with a little tool, or whatever...

The dual idea it self is cool, as i also often noticed that my machine with an Athlon 2800+ & 1,5GB ram is not able to handle all the realtime effects.

http://powl.madtracker.net
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT + 1 Hour