Forum - Glossary of musical terms?
 Forum
Suggestions
 Glossary of musical terms?
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Comatose

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17 2005 13:17    
Glossary of musical terms?

It's occured to me recently that we could use a glossary of musical terms page. Giving new users a better understanding of for example, what a filter is, does, how it works, etc. etc.

With all of us being a new user at one point, I'm sure we've
all been indiviudally overwhlemed, confused, or even frustrated as to WTF ADSR means? (as well as so many other terms) at one point or another.

Would this even be a feasible thing? Anyone else think this is a good idea?

Comatose
View user's journal Send private message
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17 2005 13:18    

Indeed, very nice. Maybe a wiki would do the trick?

Care for a game of Monopoly?
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Comatose

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17 2005 13:21    

Damn you're a sneaky bastard. Surprised
Jimm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17 2005 13:29    

I think that's a great idea, what with me being a n00b and all... I don't know what ADSR means... Razz

It would keep me from pestering you guys with questions every ten seconds Very Happy
View user's journal Send private message MSN Messenger
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17 2005 15:05    

Inge wrote:
Indeed, very nice. Maybe a wiki would do the trick?

You stole my idea! Shocked I could sue you for that, you know Shame on you

Mr. Green
Atlantis
User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17 2005 18:03    

ADSR Wink

For more, just check Wikipedia or Google. I don't really see why anyone would want to make a new glossary page when there is already such an extensive amount of information available. Sure, if it was specific to MadTracker perhaps, but otherwise I don't really see the point.

Atlantis [Atlantean Records]

multiband professor/eq professor/Nur-Ab-Sal
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
QBical

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17 2005 18:46    

Great idea!

PC: P4 HT 3ghz, 1gb ram, 500GB+ Storage, plextor DVD-rw, M-audo Audiophile 2496
Laptop: Apple Powerbook G4 15inch
Other Stuff: Phonic MU802 mixer, Alesis M1 Active Mk2 Monitors, Ipod 2nd gen. 20GB, maxtor firewire HD 80GB
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
Martin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17 2005 19:01    
here is a pretty good one

http://www.soundonsound.com/information/Glossary.php

Example:

ADSR: Envelope generator with Attack, Sustain, Decay and Release parameters. This is a simple type of envelope generator and was first used on early analogue synthesizers. This form of envelope generator continues to be popular on modern instruments. See Decay for more details.

~ http://martin.madtracker.net ~
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17 2005 19:10    

Atlantis wrote:
ADSR Wink

For more, just check Wikipedia or Google. I don't really see why anyone would want to make a new glossary page when there is already such an extensive amount of information available. Sure, if it was specific to MadTracker perhaps, but otherwise I don't really see the point.

Two things that - to a bigger or smaller extend - undermine your argument.

1: average end-users are lazy, and won't search things if they don't *really really* need them. Why else would (no offence, just to give an example) Jimm_The_Dog ask what ADSR is, while you can find that within 10 seconds via Google or Wikipedia?
2: average end-users aren't hardcore search-engine experts. From all readings I've attended to on this issue, the main problem with search queries in any database (be it internet or a local database) is that a: users don't know what they're looking for and b: users don't know what search query to use that fits their need.
3: average end-users will not be able to make a selection between more and less important information, because it demands a (significant) amount of prior knowledge to guide them in their interpretation and processing of new information in schemes of more and less important units.

It therefore is useful to make a local, limited, and specific list of important terms. The advantages:
a: threshold to access it is low (it's on the same internetsite as you already are)
b: all available information is relevant (since it is only meant for people using madtracker)
c: information can be provided within the relevant context (for instance, information about ADSR can be linked to information about the volume envelope of instruments in MadTracker).

I therefore think such a database to be useful. Counter arguments are, ofcourse, welcome. Do mind though: setting up such a thing is easy, enjoyable (communitiy activities are always nice, are they not?) and little time-consuming. I see no drawbacks, actually.

Care for a game of Monopoly?
Comatose

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24 2005 09:55    

In addition to what I previously mentioned we could also have a page ,either being seperate or combined with "the glossary", of user recommended music literature. These sources of information could be web related, magazines, or books.

Comatose
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT + 1 Hour