Forum - Rock-ballad-shit-stuff
 Forum
Music talk
 Rock-ballad-shit-stuff
Reply to topic Post new topic  
vfgdfg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19 2003 17:01    
Rock-ballad-shit-stuff

I proudly present Kalastajapappa, my Assembly'03 instrumental entry but it didn't get to the top 15 (in other words it didn't get to compete), not quite sure why. You tell me.

View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21 2003 09:35    

I don't know, I'm not the expert on this kind of music. I think it has a good drive, bu maybe a bit too much dist on the background guitars, maybe a bit too centered, and maybe a bit too weak in the bass-region. But if this is done in Madtracker, good work Smile The panning on the piano (and the melody of it) in the end is cool also, I like how it travels from one side to the other Smile
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
vfgdfg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21 2003 18:13    

Thanks for the input. It is done in Madtracker but "mastered" with SF and n-track. This was my first attempt of mastering this way so you might hear it. I think bass is quite hard to adjust properly since it will sound different with different setups (also level of the bass is matter of personal really preference). It sounds ok to me with my system, but now that I listen to the song I notice that the crash hits are bit too loud, also I need to start using more different crashes.

Loads of dist is btw. just my personal preference Smile

What do you mean with "centered"? Panning? I'm not very good with panning. It might be because I use headphones for composing and it sounds too weird to me if the sounds are too "far away" from each other. It's different with speakers though but I personally use headphones more so...

In the song itself I was mostly worrying the "mood switch" at 0:56 but I liked it myself so I kept it like that, the only thing bit wrong with the song to me now are the scratches which are not quite what I had in my mind originally but I run out of time with them. Also there are some minor "mistunes" in the solos but I like to think that more as an "feature" at this point Smile

I anyways was quite confident that the song would be played so I was actually quite shocked when it didn't, there were songs that would have been (imo ofcourse) easily replaced with this, but there very good ones too, that's not what I'm saying. Too bad I missed the feedback of the compo so I'll never know what really was wrong with it. Oh well, I'm still waiting for the final rankings with the jury points which are released at some point, for now they have only the first 15.

XnmE

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22 2003 12:28    

Cool song, nice solo, but guitar sound is a bit too sharp, i like this ambientish part at 2:01 - nice, nice mix of rock and electronic music, hey this piano part at the end is realy cool

Music Is ThE GatE
---------------------
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22 2003 19:04    

If you would double the background guitars and then pan them out to both sides using a slight delay on one of the channels (EDx command), you'd still have the sound more or less centered, but much wider, which would result in the lead guitar having more space thus becoming clearer. It would also give the sence of a wider track without actually panning the separate instruments out more. Try it out I'd say, if you need some example on what I mean just say and I'll throw something togheter Wink
vfgdfg

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23 2003 10:24    

I sometimes use this technique, in Paavo Nurmi for example but it doesn't always fit in so well. I also tend to like the guitar to be in the center. Sometimes I do two separate guitars for left and right channel but it's 3X the work so not very often.

There is also the "P" panning thing which does similar sounding effect by inverting the other channel but it doesn't seem to work as well with guitars.

CHICAGO¤lollie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23 2003 12:47    

vfgdfg wrote:
There is also the "P" panning thing which does similar sounding effect by inverting the other channel but it doesn't seem to work as well with guitars.

So that's what that "P" did. I used to think that it just did a quick double "L127-R127" on it.

I really like the song Smile All good, but esp. the piano!
Hmm, piano seems to be the favourite piece, doesn't it? Very Happy
vfgdfg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03 2003 19:42    

Oh well the final results have been published from the jury points and mine is at 47th or some shit. And want to know what's the funniest part really? Here (1,3mb) is the 17th place for example, just hear it out, although not made with MT but I mean come on! I understand that my piece is far from perfect but WTF is this?? I'm not saying that the piece is that bad really (it has some cool piano) but 17th?

Some opinions wanted.

CHICAGO¤lollie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04 2003 13:11    

Well, it was ok, I guess. The tune was good, but it definately lacked quality. So why did it place better than your song? Easy, the majority of the judges were either too drunk, or too doped up to place such songs correctly Razz Cool
vfgdfg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04 2003 15:39    

Lack of quality is very well put.

Well anyway I learned that the listing order in the results don't mean anything so my position is then supposed to be shared 20th place with 7 other songs (25 points), the song mentioned above is then at shared 16th place with 5 others (30 points).

Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT + 1 Hour