MadTracker.org
Forum - Tell me what is the best song for you!
 Forum
Music talk
 Tell me what is the best song for you!
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Vertikal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10 2003 20:29    
Tell me what is the best song for you!

Hi everybody,

I would like feedback about my songs. Please, enter http://vertikal.madtracker.net and tell me what song is the best for you.

Thank you! Cool

Greetings,

VertiKal
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
CHICAGO¤lollie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11 2003 11:52    

I'm just downloading Leticia now. I'll tell you what I think of it when it's finished Smile

edit_one: The verdict for Leticia? Nice, good beat, smooth tune, I like it Very Happy I like how the drums come into it Smile
I also like the drumloop that appears at 0:31 of the song Cool

Next on the list is Brasil Smile

edit_two: Brasil, one word that can sum up my reactions to this tune? DUDE!!! Very Happy The intro beat is cool, the intro dance beat addition at 0:14 is cool, the... look, I like it Cool It's all cool!! Surprised

Next up: Move Cool

edit_three_last_for_tonight: Move does sound like one of those "running from something" tunes you'd hear in... hmm... Well, movies like "Run Lola Run" (I want to see a sequel of that movie happening soon! Very Happy I know, wishful thinking...). Definately trance, cool Cool Yeah yeah, I know, everything's cool Razz
I'm tired from sleep deprivation, so I think I'll add onto this in the morning. But at the moment, I can say "Great work! You've done well!" Wink
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
Vertikal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11 2003 15:23    
Thank you Chicago!

First of all, thank you very much for hearing my songs.

I like you like them. But, do you think they have the quality for recording a CD? What aspects do you think I have to improve?

Thank you again for your opinion.

Greetings,

VertiKal
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11 2003 16:05    

I've been listening numerous of your songs, and I think the one I like best (from the point of commercial listening) would be vertikal.mp3. You show talent in the ways to make your songs sound commercial and smooth, giving them that popular blend. What you tend to miss (in all your songs) is the power to pass existing borders of production, and to expand them. Try being less conventional, and try not to duplicate the trance sound that is already published in the charts. You need your own sound in order to stand out in a crowd of producers, and your sound is a bit flat at the moment. Try searching for less conventional but yet catchy samples (and not always the same sweeping trance leads). Another thing would be your drum programming. It sounds a bit dull here, with little more than a bassdrum and a hihat. Try spicing things up with more exotic samples, such as drumkits and bongo's.

End conclusion: no, your songs aren't ready for releasing right now. Your strong points are to be found in melody programming, song structures, choice of sounds (to suit the purpose) and technical usage of the program. Negative are your lack of own identity and a too flat sound.

Just my thoughts. Hardcore drum 'n bass / acid techno boys aren't always right about trance Rolling Eyes

Inge

Care for a game of Monopoly?
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11 2003 18:17    

Have to agree with Inge on most parts here. The biggest issue I see with your tunes is that there's nothing new in them, nothing that would catch the listener and get them to think "now here's a new way to make music". They have a very commercial sound, so you've got that part right, but this also means, like Inge said, that no boundaries are broken. I could give you 10 tunes that sound like your "vertikal" right away (ain't gona do it though).
Another example, take "brasil". Right when I heard the first couple of notes I was thinking "Safri Duo", I wasn't thinking "newer heard this before".

As far as production audio quality goes I don't think you've got anything to worry about. More variation to the drums could be good though.
Out of the ones I heard I liked "bongos" the best. However, I'm sorry to say that I wouldn't buy any of the tunes if they were in a store somewhere, simply because they all seem to sound like stuff I've heard a hundred times.
Yannick
MadTracker Author

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11 2003 18:59    

You have the potential to succeed indeed. As Inge and Sunbuster said, you only need to build yourself a musical identity. You master the technology, you know how to make things sound good, you know how to make good melodies, you just need to drift away from the common paths.
Don't be afraid to expirement and don't be afraid that something won't sound "clean". Just try and explore.

If you manage this, I am sure you can make yourself a big name in the tracking scene and even in the commercial music industry if you work a lot on it.

Keep it up!
Yannick
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
Vertikal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11 2003 20:45    
Thank you everybody!

Hi,

Sunbuster, Inge, Yannick: Thanks for listening to my songs, and say me your opinion about that.

It´s true: I agree with you. I think they sound like hundred of songs. But is very difficult to make something new in this way.

I will try to experiment, and to make something special, though I have not ever studied music or composition. I think this is my lack.( And also I need to buy new samples. What do you recomend me?).

Thank you again. I´ll try to improve myself.

Greetings,

VertiKal
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11 2003 21:05    

Don't blindfocus on the opinions of others: in the end, *you* are the one that should feel satisfied with your own songs.

Vsti's are a great start to build up your own unique library of sounds. Massive plugins, such as the pro53, refx and Absynth, in combination with the Chainer plugin to export the waves from them, will enable you to make virtually unlimited amount of unique samples. Try downloading these vsti's somewhere (most of them work as standalone programs), and play around with them till you think you master them properly. After that, export the sounds you programmed to wave with Chainer, and use them for your compositions.

Literature in the 17th century worked on the foundation of translatio - imitatio - emulatio. You already got the first two in line (you know how to make music, and how to imitate the style that you prefer). The last one, emulatio, is the hardest one: it implies changing your template into your unique version of it. Good luck!

Inge

Care for a game of Monopoly?
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT + 1 Hour