Bug report
 Seamless Loop Bug
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Goto page 1, 2  Next
ddeml

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23 2003 00:02    
Seamless Loop Bug

Hi!

When I make a forward loop using a the tansition amplitude any other than zero, then it includes a zero sample inbetween causing a click sound at each loop roundtrip.

Here is the module and result wave to reproduce the bug.

Greetings - Richie
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23 2003 01:07    

I can't even get the original sample looped properly in soundforge. Could you give a link to the original sample? I'm starting to doubt the possibility to loop this sample properly without adjusting its waveform too much.

Inge

Care for a game of Monopoly?
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
ddeml

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23 2003 13:46    

This is all I have of that sample.
You can see here how I workaround that problem.
If you cannot find a loopable point with zero amplitude, you can attach a copy of the sample after and putting the loop points anywhere at the very same sample position in each copy. But is is a nasty and effortful workaround. Confused

However - to show the behavior of this bug, it is not nessessary to have a sample that perfectly loops. Wink

ddeml
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23 2003 14:16    

I finally understand your initial statement, and I doubt if it is true. If I take a complete sine, and create a loop between two points that are exactely at the top of the sine, than the loop will sound flawless. That could not be possible if a zero point is attached to the first looping point.

Some loops just can't be made. Period. If a sample is too dynamic, the only way to make a good sounding loop is by the method you described. I must try that method though, but it sounds as a reasonable solution. Stupid of me that I never thought of it before.

Inge

Care for a game of Monopoly?
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
ddeml

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23 2003 14:28    

Hmm, when i do not loop fron end to end, the problem does not appear. I dont know why. I do not see a sample at either end that could cause the problem... Rolling Eyes

However...

ddeml
Yannick
MadTracker Author

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23 2003 14:56    

It's always a bad idea to have a loop point at an extremity of a sample. Always leave some space before and after.

If you do that, you'll never get clicks.

Yannick
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
Big Mo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10 2003 14:47    

That's because of interpolation, right? MadTracker interpolates to a zero value if a loop point is at the end of a sample. At last, with interpolation off, looping is allright in old FT2 mods (mostly chiptunes) while even sine waves get a sharp sound in MT with interpolation on.
Isn't there a way to interpolate to the first value after the loopstart point? Then you'll never have clicks, if looped properly.
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Enonimis
Regular

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20 2003 23:30    

Maybe I'm not understanding this, but what's wrong with a fade-out fixing this problem? Just fade out 1 cycle before the end loop point, and fade in 1 cycle after the start loop point. Damn, someone should hire me to fix everything in the world.

~Enon

If you do not agree with my opinions, you are wrong. If you do agree with my opinions you are drunk.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://elrick-enonimis.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Big Mo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20 2003 23:42    

Well, if you have the time to fade all samples in a FT2-made chiptune, then there's nothing wrong with that.

I use 'No interpolation' for chiptunes anyway.
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Enonimis
Regular

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20 2003 23:48    

Well if you ask me (and you should) chiptunes are evil, and shouldn't be made under any circumstances. Why I'm thinking about it, I think everyone should ask me before doing anything that might be considered even remotely chiptune-esque.

~Enon

If you do not agree with my opinions, you are wrong. If you do agree with my opinions you are drunk.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CHICAGO¤lollie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21 2003 05:38    

Enonimis wrote:
Well if you ask me (and you should) chiptunes are evil, and shouldn't be made under any circumstances.

Chiptunes?
Evil?

...are you broken? Take a look at Disneyland! It's got Hitler written all over it!

Back to the topic, what about crossfading the sample within itself? I can't explain it, but the concept is so simple!
ddeml

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21 2003 11:12    

CHICAGO¤lollie wrote:
Back to the topic, what about crossfading the sample within itself? I can't explain it, but the concept is so simple!

I think I already mentioned it. This is the workaround which allows you perfect looping at all. I do that for new tracks, but I dont like to adapt old tunes (whereever chip or not) just to work well with MT.

I am looking forward to MT3. By the way... Yannick?
Enonimis
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21 2003 23:31    

Good luck with that question, Demeral. Yannick's reply will be, and I quote, "When it is ready."

By the way, I'd like to see more options for ways of getting a hold of you. The dozen or so IM links you have just isn't enough.

goddamn,
~Enon

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CHICAGO¤lollie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22 2003 01:35    

Enonimis wrote:
By the way, I'd like to see more options for ways of getting a hold of you. The dozen or so IM links you have just isn't enough.

goddamn,
~Enon

Indeed!

Do any of those actually work? Or are they just there for decoration? Razz
Enonimis
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22 2003 02:41    

I don't know about the rest of you, but on my monitor his goddamn icons go off the screen. I wish I was that important. Oh well, just one way of getting a hold of me for now.

~Enon

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 2 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next