Reinforced piracy policy
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Solid Reptile

PostPosted: Tue May 25 2004 22:47    

Inge wrote:
Leon / The Punkhood wrote:
Yannick, r u in it for the money?
People who tried to crack your program didn't get anything... So there must be no punishment for them. It's not a war (war against naughty composers).
You've won already Confused
You limit people that you gather...
There is another one question: are you composer or programer Question - reply...

May be you didn't read (or/and moderate) this topic at all.

Hello Leon,

A: The money that MadTracker generates is for a significant part used for both the production of MadTracker 3 as for the community as a whole. Multiple other tracking sites are being hosted on a server that was funded by money from MadTracker registrations. Furthermore, one can harvest for what one sows. Or do you work voluntarily?
B: The musicians that limit themselves choose to do so themselves. They can either use the shareware version and live with the limitation of not having a built-in wave export, pay for a registration and get all advantages, or crack the program and live with the consequences. Yannick has made no secret of the piracy politics he uses (why else would this thread be existing otherwise?), and so people who crack the program should be aware of the consequences.

Your remark is rather, well, refreshing. You doubt the very foundation of why it is wrong to use cracked software. It is because significant work has been done to make the software, and significant amounts of money are needed to continue developing it.

Inge

wow Inge, you just said everything to shut him up Shocked

I totally agree with you

( wish I could explain those things in that way Razz )

www.radixrecords.tk

www.solid-reptile.tk
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
XinetdD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24 2005 14:32    

i just wanted to know if you still look down on ppl if they had cracked the software, found it to be great, and bought the software ?
LogicDeLuxe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24 2005 14:53    

XinetdD wrote:
i just wanted to know if you still look down on ppl if they had cracked the software, found it to be great, and bought the software ?
In that case, it makes a big difference, if they only used the cracked version for themselfs, or if they gave it to other people as well, I'd guess.
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
Blaster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24 2005 20:36    

XinetdD wrote:

I guess most of us use or have used some piece of cracked software once upon a time :p

Not me of course Angel Whistle

united trackers
Solid Reptile

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02 2005 20:30    

The main reason why some people use cracked software is because of the ridiculous high cost price of some programs..

Not to mention Cubase SX I thought somewhere around the 1500 euro's??

and Reason ofcourse, something like 399 euro's

im Very very very glad that Madtracker only costs 40 euro's.
It's defenitely worth the small price!!

That's why I bought Mt...

(Still waiting for MT3) Wink

www.radixrecords.tk

www.solid-reptile.tk
Magic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02 2005 15:29    

Well, seems to me the only people complaining about this feature are probably the ones with a cracked version of madtracker anyway.

I have no complants of what Yannick does to his madtracker - mine is legal.

Just a note to yannick: I had to go back to 2.3 becuase i found it a bit more comfy then off mt2.5. But i cant wait for mt3 Very Happy I will deffently be purchaseing every version of madtracker becuase i feal its worth every penny.

It is however,not that oftern a peace of software on the internet like this comes along that is worth a purchase.So quit complaining and just buy it and support Yannick.
View user's journal Send private message Yahoo Messenger
D Vibe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02 2005 22:43    

The funniest thing about the whole story is that most ppl that use a crack of MT2 often easily drink alcohol of the sum of a pro registration of MT2 on one weekend.

/Daniel

https://www.dvibe.se
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
D Vibe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02 2005 23:05    

Maybe that could be slogan:

Madtracker 2 - great sound, great creative interface, great community, and it does not cost more than a good weekend of boozing.

Wink

/Daniel

https://www.dvibe.se
cHiEfRoCkA 4 ReaL

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16 2006 14:56    

Solid Reptile wrote:
The main reason why some people use cracked software is because of the ridiculous high cost price of some programs..

Good point Wink.

What are 40€īs?
Smoke less, drink less, buy some DVDīs less, whatever!

To me crackers are like those worm-creators (hackers) and virus-spreaders...

People with a small d**k who annoy others..

Sorry, but thatīs my opinion.

Hmmm...

but the sad truth is that crackers always (or mostly) find a way.

What about serving the new MT versions only for the registered users?

View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Powerdown

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28 2006 11:45    

cHiEfRoCkA 4 ReaL wrote:
What about serving the new MT versions only for the registered users?

Well no new users will come since they can't check whether they like the program, and ppl won't pay (the lousy) 40 euri's for a program they don't know. I think.

Powerdown

Where the sun blows, Hardcore goes.
So spoke the wise man.
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
johnrobot
User

PostPosted: Fri May 26 2006 18:57    

To me it is a bit odd that there is a piracy problem when the software is priced to only 20/40 Euros. Are there any estimates of number of users?

Magnus

Magnus Nilsson
Villa Geografica, http://www.villageografica.com
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Fri May 26 2006 19:14    

Regardless of the number of users (I couldn't even tell, and I doubt if Yannick wants to make assumptions about that): most research has concluded that the most important reason for piracy is ease of obtaining the desired product. Even if MadTracker is only 40 euro, one has to go through the steps of reading how registration is acquired, ordening, and waiting for the registration to become valid. If one needs the wave export and can download it straight away from a Torrent site, then most people would opt for that choice.

We hope, by applying rather firm anti-piracy rules, that people will indeed see in advance how low the costs are. Furthermore, by providing extra's (web space, e-mail, discount on other products) we hope to convince people to refrain from cracked versions. So the anti-piracy rules aren't focusing on the number of problems, but on discouraging people in advance. It's better to warn than to cure Smile

Care for a game of Monopoly?
mechanism

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06 2006 04:25    

Inge wrote:
It's better to warn than to cure Smile

Speaking of cures, can I have one please? Wink

<~The Mechanism~>

http://mechanism.madtracker.net
SX001

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22 2007 18:03    

Solid Reptile wrote:

these big commercial programs perhaps arent useful anyway,
if you are tracker user. Tracker programs arent so much
expensive becouse no one perhaps will not buy it..?

MadTracker:
But even if it has some errors and limitations I am quite sure that perhaps this program is the last one which is made as much perfect compared to the other trackers (feature list, less bugs, user interface, key combinations mostly FT2 compatible) and especially which is working still also on every windows version, including WIN98SE. Exclamation I use win98se as it is minimalistic more and I have control over my machine, it has still DOS inside (So, I can use also FT2 on the _same_ machine, I need realtime operation, so, dosbox no option at all for MIDI interface based programs).

my experience with Renoise: I thought that I will buy Renoise if it has full midi file export possibility (it only supports its proprietary file saving mostly!!). When they also added MIDI support, I thought ok, BUT there was an advertisement that on newer version WIN98SE not supported anymore! Soooh! That made me to turn away from Renoise, I hate these windoza new versions!!
They answered that it was just too less users for WIN98SE system!
But this life cycle is classical actually with all programs.

Why the most(?) software developers cant accept the truth that artists are NOT "just another brick of the wall" and they try to force artists to use very similar setup??? Question Exclamation They DONT use the same OS, the same configurations on computers, the same mouse, the same... its NOT the same at all. Exclamation And finally artist does not make everything with ONE computer, perhaps he has them 8 and surfing in internet is on another computer to keep clean the DAW machine.

If on one day authors will react that if its not enough money or not enough pleasure to develop it, then the program will die anyway or you have pressed to migrate newer version which does not support your older OS...
I have found much other programs useful for my synthesizers but commercial ones arent supported and buggy as hell also, ok, I have luck with shareware programs -- those tend to have less bugs mostly and also even if they work I cant even contact the author to say thank you even.

With MadTracker, you can actually save files to .XM. .MT2, MIDI ... so, why not to buy, but there is always a threat that on one day it can be ended, or some specific features (older OS support or something) will be removed, changed inconvenient.

(ok, now waiting on the answer for this multitrack output in MT2, it can be also reason for buying, but the threat that some feature will be removed or OS support ended in future versions, is actual even in future)

But I am actually quite lucky that there is actually this kind of program among with other tracker (FastTracker 2, which is also capable of mapping instruments to midi output channels).
View user's journal Send private message
SX001

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22 2007 18:26    

em22 wrote:
If you decided that mt shouldn't load any mts created with a cracked copy, then this will only lead to the crackers deciding to enter the mt executable, to combat this problem. this would be 10 times worse than the current warning. MT will be taken apart and the crackers will learn how MT works as an executable. This has happened with many well known software titles from large stable companies who have dedicated people to combat this, but the crackers always win. You do not have the time to combat a dedicated cracker, if you show a challenge, they will defeat it.

its actually becouse crackers love challenges. The only way to disappoint them is that there are no copy protections. Smile

I actually understand Yannick in this case but the method was actually chosen wrong...

The FastTracker is popular program and there are actually many other trackers (for windows and linux platform) also available but only MT has developed in such usable level with these features and supported options listed, so yes, huge work has done about it, and from this points its every authors own decision what to do next... shareware? freeware? opensource? etc... its personal and I am not actually comfortable about that topic, (becouse I also just decided to spread my music for free).

The direction to start programming with divisions as open source is actually Good Thing. And so perhaps many other enthusiastic persons will add their energy to program development, instead of just cracking it. Wink

Fasttracker 2 is shareware. How many owners have registered it? And it does not have any copy protections or limitations at all.
View user's journal Send private message
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 5 of 6 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next