10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 20

Factor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29 2007 01:30    
Chainsong 2008!

Hi guys,

Although I'm bit unactive lately... I am still around though Wink

So maybe a new chainsong for 2008 was my idea.. to spice things up around here like in the old days! Wink

Good idea? or Bad idea? let the pole decide, and make your votes please! Smile

Factor
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Walter Vos

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29 2007 08:38    

Oof. I´d like another chaingsong, but...

As I remember it, the last chainsong had so many strict rules that it bled to death. Something like half of all entries was disqualified or something?

I'd like another chainsong, but I'd like it to have less rules. Creativity matters you know.

what is hip?

www.waltervos.nl
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Factor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30 2007 01:53    

The rules were good, to many guys broke them.... we had 48 people signed in to join, you need some rules whith such numbers joining!.
I just read them over and over, and there cool, and were ment as guidlines. to bad it did went wrong, I hope we can do it better this upcomming chain.

Maybe 48 people is to much for a chainsong... and that's killed the 2006 chainsong I think!
To manypeople, manipelating the rules, yes we had lot's of bans but they were needed! That's why I gave up half way.... It wasn't chaining.. It was like.. I do what I want, and I bent the rules so it's ok.... Crying or Very sad

I wish we can do better this time and we need people not being selfish, or arogant. we need chainers to make this work!

Factor
cHiEfRoCkA 4 ReaL

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30 2007 15:23    

Factor wrote:
It was like.. I do what I want, and I bent the rules so it's ok.... Crying or Very sad

I wish we can do better this time and we need people not being selfish, or arogant. we need chainers to make this work!

Factor

Well I´m sorry...seems like I was one of those Sad.
That stupid rap thing was the problem.
But I asked before doing it Smile.

Rules are necessary though.

Sry about last year anyway, if I was one of those giving people the feeling being selfish or arrogant Embarassed .

View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Frazze

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30 2007 21:03    

I agree that the sheer mass of participants killed it. People weren't keeping up with the schedule and thus it crashed.

If there's a new chainsong I'd join it. Very Happy

http://www.last.fm/music/8ism
goose

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31 2007 10:45    

Hmmm, I think there was too many rules, or at least they were too inflexible. too many people in the list meant that people signed up, then were not available when it was their turn. plus all the stuff about who starts and who finishes was a bit painful, so I lost interest. What makes a chainsong fun for me is hearing the very different styles mixed up in a random way, but the last one was too controlled, musically. The actual song isn't so important IMO, it's the doing it that counts.

I would be happy to join the next one, but, let's just start, and get on with it, without the waiting and grand website and stuff. Whoever is available, can say so at the time on a thread, so no time lines and waiting list. If someone takes too long on their bit, then just skip them and they can join later. If someone messes up the song, then just go back to the previous version - no banning or whatever, cos it's a good way to learn MT2. There is no reason why there can't be more than one chainsong at the sametime also.

Cool
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Factor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07 2007 01:37    

It's nice to hear a lot of us still like the concept of chaining. Cool

Let's see last years main rules:

Quote:
Main rules:

- A ftp login and password will be sent to all artist who has signed up.
- Look at the schedule when its your time to do your part in the chainsong!
- No VST plugins are allowed!
- You can max use 128 lines X LPB to make your part (If you use lpb 4, then max is 128x4=512 lines)
- You only add 4 new instruments to the chainsong
- You can use mutiple samples under each instrument, but max filesize is 4mb in total per artist!
- You have 96 hours (4 days) to make your part (se scedule)
- If you have not upload your part before the next artist starts, you will be skipped
(send us a mail for more info about how you can re enter the chainsong if this happends).
- You are allowed to adjust the last pattern of the artist "before" you, but "only" for blending in your own part!
- The beginning artist decides the LPB and bpm, everyone is allowed to change it in his part as long as it keeps the song going! (try to make it sound nice if you change it)
- Tracks 61-64 will have pre set mpreverb track effects on them, these effects aren’t allowed to be altered or removed
- No reverb track effects may added on any difrent tracks (this is to keep the cpu usage low!)
- You have to label all you own patterns by your artistname!
- If you use automation, change volumes etc, make sure this does not affect any previous part than your own!
- Max tracks added by an artist is 4.
- If you introduce an new instrument you HAVE to use it in a new track (unlabeled track - max 4 track per artist) you have to name that track to the instrument that you have used. This way all instruments will have there own track, labeled proparly by the artist introducing them into the song, "including instrument number" If multible tracks are needed for strings etc lable these tracks as string 1 / string 2 etc. (Later in the chainsong when all tracks has been taken [max 4 tracks per artist] you can still introduce new instruments, but you have to re-use some other tracks)

What whould you guys like to be difrent?

It's obvious we need some rules in other to keep at least the track workable for the others. I still beleave in above rules, as guidelines. It's not that people were banned last time for doing some small things... But ofc banning should'nt be a part of a fun event like this. (but what should we else do if someone is using over 16 tracks for his part alone... Sad )

I agree with Goose thow, To many rules limited a artist, and banning aint always a solution to fix a problem. But I'm sure that of the (mostly unexperienced) particapants that were banned or were skipped, only 10% did read those rules before they even started! They simply didn't care reading them at all Rolling Eyes And well if that happens in any type of event...

I hope that were gonna have some motivated people on this event, having fun making a cool song. Nothing more nothing less.

Gentleman, post your feedback. Share your thoughts how to make this happen. Wink

Factor
PyroZane

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23 2007 21:05    

How about not having a schedule? If anyone wants to make a part, they tell on the forum and makes a new part to the chain? This way you can make a part when you feel like it, and the style is perfect etc... You dont have to wait for someone to "not" show up at all etc, like in last chainsong

Is this a good or bad idea?

And I think the chainsong need a posibility to run on its own without a voice of admins etc, unless we get more admins to controll it, but is that what we want?

http://pyrozane.madtracker.net/
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01 2007 17:47    

So somewhat like a checkout of the file? You'd simply post to a thread in the forum and say "hey, my turn". Then you do your thing and upload it back, then post another message saying "I'm done". After that the next person that calls out "shotgun" has dibs on it? There would be no queue to participate, instead people who want to join would have to monitor the forum thread and be quick enough about posting "dibs".

I think this kind of a system in its simplicity could actually work. It would also mean that people have to actively watch for their turn if they're serious about joining, and it would remove the need for someone to play mom & pop regarding who is next and who didn't do their part. But you'd still need one person to monitor the thing, someone who makes sure that a person that called out dibs returns his/her contribution within a reasonable time. So you don't have a situation where the file is checked out for several weeks to the same person.
PyroZane

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02 2007 01:19    

Yeah, something like that... Maybe with a uploading it back deadline of 4-6 days per entry also, so its free for everyone again if the time is runing out?

I think people will come closer to the chain this way also, and make more comments etc.

http://pyrozane.madtracker.net/
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07 2007 14:02    

Yep, I'd vote for this kind of a system. Would maybe attract more spontaneous entries also, since you don't get your time slot months ahead. You'd just have to watch this space and post a reply in the right time.
SoulEye
Beta-Tester

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07 2007 21:41    

I'm sooooo in. This time however, I might just settle for a mid-part. Doing both beginning and ending was taking over a bit much last time. It turned out okay, but I felt my presence took over a bit. I must do more with less. Perhaps a chiptune part (oh wow that's original, coming from me??! Very Happy)
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
elijahlucian
User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08 2007 08:31    

woah... souleye... YOU DO CHIPTUNE???????????

im in. but i think that the people most inspired by the last posted part should do the next one. it might make it flow better.
View user's journal Send private message
Walter Vos

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08 2007 09:43    

elijahlucian wrote:
woah... souleye... YOU DO CHIPTUNE???????????

im in. but i think that the people most inspired by the last posted part should do the next one. it might make it flow better.

Sure, but how would you decide who's more inspired?

what is hip?

www.waltervos.nl
CHICAGO¤lollie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08 2007 13:35    

Sunbuster wrote:
So somewhat like a checkout of the file? You'd simply post to a thread in the forum and say "hey, my turn". Then you do your thing and upload it back, then post another message saying "I'm done". After that the next person that calls out "shotgun" has dibs on it? There would be no queue to participate, instead people who want to join would have to monitor the forum thread and be quick enough about posting "dibs".

Isn't that just like how it used to be in the first few chains?
'Cause I liked that. A lot.

Posting for a show of interest in another chain. I really don't know how I'd go with time to actually do it, but if it's gonna go back to a loose 'first come first serve' kind of schedule, I could so get in on this.

Also, Yannick.

View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 3 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next