MadTracker.org
Forum - What is the current fate of MadTracker 2?
 Forum
General discussion
 What is the current fate of MadTracker 2?
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
SX001

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25 2011 19:11    

After reading all those messages here again I came to thought that...
the most absurd thing what I readed in this forum was like
"if updates arent released then software is dead".

Well, have You lived a way too long time with Microsoft which releases products when they are in alpha version state almost?! Microsoft products updates are NOT updates, these are bugfixes. Several several days and every week are coming those, which does not add any functionality, they only released in a hurry and havent done their work properly. Its the shame actually. Do you do the math test the same way that you will make "updates" several weeks to teacher after giving a test?
But M$ have kept almost everyone so dependant that users have admitted such fooling.

At the same time... more decent software developers test throughly their products. It works, bugfixes are a very rare need, and it took several years before you heard from them again. But that silence does not mean that their productline is dead. Updates are real upgrades and you can be satisfied that you actually have a real working product which does not need to be patched!

So, do you, Madtracker user... do you really use Madtracker becouse it works and that Yannick have released it already when it was working...
OR
do you really wait Yannick to follow such crazy way like windows is built that you will receive a product which is not at all working and you will receive bugfixes every week and still there is not at all clear yet?

And you who make music... Do YOU make your own music albums also "ready" and then you will send ''updates'' to your listeners?

I will just delete this software which is still in alpha or beta state in my opinion and I will come back when its already working and throughly tested and then I use that software for decades -- it works, suits for needs, no bugs.
I am actually satisfied with this what Yannick has done and I use it for several several years and even next version if these still are supported on the same old platform which I am using -- WIN98SE, and even if it requires 1GB RAM.

And so I started using also these windows with a big numbers when they were too old already and unofficial team patched it up... Very Happy
View user's journal Send private message
SX001

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25 2011 19:20    
Re: What is the current fate of MadTracker 2?

CHICAGO¤lollie wrote:
It's been three years since we've seen a single update or bugfix for MadTracker 2, and there hasn't actually been any public word as to why that's been the case.

but which BUGS are YOU complaining about?
papa bear
User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26 2011 00:40    

honestly, i haven't seen any bugs ... whatever bugs were in madtracker before, i can't seem to find them.

only "glitch" that i can tell, and this is just because i'm using windows 7 (didn't have this glitch on xp)

.... the little cpu monitor that says how much processor usage you're using doesn't display anything. the section has the track time, and is accurate, but in win7 it doesn't have that live time cpu meter.

and honestly, i'm not concerned with it. yannick has made a program that i personally love to use. sure it'd be nice if i could have a madtracker3 with that little cpu meter that works, but it's not something that i absolutely have to have.

and as far as the software being dead? i consider software to be "dead" when nobody uses it anymore. GW Basic for example. i remember goofing around on that back when i was in high school about 15 years ago. that is dead software.

madtracker? too many people use it and are actively using it for it to be named "dead software"

he who does not continue to learn, has learned nothing ...

d|^..^|b

http://johndoe007.bandcamp.com
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vantek
User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26 2011 01:26    

There's definitely bugs. I don't remember the specifics but I've seen something along the line of, all the instruments suddently start to use the same sample out of the blue (and the bug was saved with the track). I think I've seen a couple others, but I didn't bother to remember the details or report.
SX001

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26 2011 18:26    

papa bear wrote:
honestly, i haven't seen any bugs ... whatever bugs were in madtracker before, i can't seem to find them.

only "glitch" that i can tell, and this is just because i'm using windows 7 (didn't have this glitch on xp)

haahaa, tell me, 98% of software which I use arent working fine under winXP, so I continue using WIN98SE on my sequencer machine. Only 1 thing requires WinXP, but I dont sacrifice the working system becouse of that. Until now I have always found totally new software (and even drivers for hardware!) which works in my existing system while others will likely aband the existing system when they receive first signal that this or that "requires" newer OS (which means that they repeat again trash-BuyNewer-install hardware cycle for that newer OS too).

So, solution -- another computer just for that ONE thing with WINXP. And 99.9% of time it is switched off. Wink Problem solved.

but why YOU swapped to windows7 if it worked fine under win-XP to YOU?
Perhaps the problem is that we change the system even if there is no use for it OR we try to ignore the fact that
you cant do everything in one computer if you want to do music too.

well, i know 3 bugs too in MT2.6.1, while one is limiting (ASIO buffer influence to MIDI ports) but another thing is somehow like feature (note-off messages in wrong place in "key-jazz" mode while recording), third one is about MIDI port timing adjustment to send notes earlier. Well, so far only one actually which remains. But so far its not the thing which resists me to make music.

If there is demand for Madtracker new version, havent someone actually got it as a business idea? Or actually is it more like grabb-ware ("do it do it and for free!") ?!
But at the same time --- if we would make our wishlists do we get these or it will go fishing and somewhat ignored? (Renoise old version was quite so-so beta and was working under WIN98SE, new version can be good, but there are 2 deep reasons why I dont use it -- it does not support win98se any longer, and its file export is still in beta). And if I say something to them then I hear something like that -- "win98 is so outdated that there is impossible to make something to work in music". (So, perfect work Yannick! You made something to work what is impossible and ignored by other developers!)
So far I see support for older OS a very good plus -- it broadens the usergroup!

Quote:

and as far as the software being dead? i consider software to be "dead" when nobody uses it anymore. GW Basic for example. i remember goofing around on that back when i was in high school about 15 years ago. that is dead software.

My speculation is that its also M$ (Micro$oft) influence -- if they dont develop, not supporting it, then that legacy thing is "dead".

But wait wait, there is something more...
Someone have said too that MS-DOS is a "dead" product, but just when M$ abanded it, there come totally new versions and very quickly from different other developers with next things. I repeat, all of those are for DOS -- mp3 player, DIVX player, USB support, USB-CD support, CD-writing software (last time I used it 2005). TCP-IP stack,
Long filenames support, task switching software (no multitasking, but taskswitching), NFS-drive access software, FAT32 support (so, 486DX-2 with DOS and 40GB HDD with >2GB partitions was a real thing), DVD support.
Havent seeked around new things, but I guess there are now also DVD writing software and some new things more.
I am talking about pure dos, and NOT about which requires GHz processor to emulate so-so successfully 30Mhz machine and still many VGA modes are missing.

and some amazing surprises I have seen:
* Those quite new GHz CPU based processors which had realtek audio chip, were recognized by DOS mp3 player!
* Fasttracker 2 which runs on 3Ghz pentium and had one
SB Live PCI card were recognized by Fasttracker 2. So, tracker and I have digital audio output with Fasttracker 2 and under DOS, but it did not recognized MIDI port unfortunately.
* DR-DOS while it had mp3 player on the front playing it has also built in partition sharing TSR program and it works like mp3 player with file sharing server!
So, it WAS developed actually, but not so many users. Wink

but the discovery continued to me when these unofficial developers "upgraded and patched" win98SE, then thats the result

* usually I hear that it has no USB support for devices. Well, now it has!
* usually I heard that it does not support machines over 512Mb RAM. OK, but now it supports machines up to 1GB RAM.
* some things which required WIN-ME, started to work.
* WIN98SE did not worked with machines which had >128GB HDD. Well, fixed that thing too.

Also, have you seen mini WIN98 which was somewhat clone under 8MB ?! Very Happy
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 4 of 4 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4