Forum
Music talk
 getting better? ... new track
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
SX001

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10 2011 18:15    

SoulEye wrote:
OMFG. This is SO TRUE, I cannot emphasize it enough. I've HAD these experiences, and EACH and EVERY POINT you make hits home with me, and I actually get really mad when thinking about the persons trying to limit me.

Thank you, good to know that I werent the only one.
I wonder that why I am the first who writes down these issues
what beginner may face?
Why I havent readed about those obstacles and descriptions myself before if I now see that I am not at all the only one with the same problems? (Perhaps its almost classical issue?!)
When I am with my music I feel fine, but not noticing the attacking psychoterror character is just like walking on the road and not noticing the stones which can be a hazard to foots?!?

I just thought that I write these possible obstacles down becouse thats the first thing which a new composer faces when increasing time to develop. I figured out that I just HAVE TO deal these things first (well to me its a very important) and after that is to me the time for Am-C-Gsus2. To me just ignoring surrounding was not a solution then unfortunately as problems began to repeat itself again.

My path were in the last 4 years this way that I got some preparation in music and technology, it was a bright beginning, but after 5 months I was left totally alone with my problems and those problems were EXACTLY these what I wrote above in my previous message. When I just began then I did not had so much attention from others, had not so much equipment, also I kept my interest as high secret. But the more time I spent the more attention I got from surrounding and I began to experience the others psychological attacks more and more. What to do?!?! It has also a deep reducing effect and very disturbing. I had nowhere to turn to! I searched answers in forum, in books (i'm a library friend), magazines. Nothing found which is "music related psychology" or something. Those who talked about music with me before were just on their own then. Also most men dont talk about these issues. It took 4 years, and those are which I solved.

but there is something still which I want to know and actually havent found answers ... can someone add their own experiences then in this soup??

my question is about...
1. INERTIA. we know that its sometimes hard to start a music program
becouse own our INERTIA. It feels like there is a big obstacle between the will and actual music doing even if all is available. Motivation? But what triggers that action that we start to make music? I only remember that time when I were just laidback and when I were already in action, but that transition part is the thing which interests me, becouse THAT is which causes it, but mostly I dont remember. So, how to make that inertia barrier lower?
Film, Seeking videos, reading a book, browsing own music in tracker -- these are also only the "laidback" activity, but with the determination in mind already "I prepare for music making", but THEN... thats the question.

2. what is increasing motivation?

3. Question about THE FLOW. Music can be quite addictive process when we are lost in time. but can it be in certain circumstances be a health hazard? Can it revive? Which purposes a composing/arranging session can have to composers mind itself?
So, I am in flow, but how to recall that flow often? See below:
3.1 my usual day which I call "MEGA session" .. through some inertia I start and gradually I just got in the track itself, and I am then lost in the process 8-12 or even 16 hours, feeling high after third hour. BUT the next day when I wake up I feel weak (vitamines? havent eaten enough?), and even if I feel that "that was great, this kind of session which I had yesterday I have to repeat again, it feels great!", but physically on the same day all goes just to sitting and doing nothing, having a vacation or something and the second day after that I feel that I am in the beginning again that it feels so long away before I reach to sequencer and tracker start button/keycombination/shortcut and which results that I have a inertia barrier again. LAter its again mystically easy.
. All I have tried - in a small and big system, in a small and big computer, in a laptop with headphones and in a computer with a big system, no difference.
And then I see that the only inertia free thing is piano exercising-- opening notes and following the chapter. i want that inertia free thing with my own music composing too...

5. What if just ignoring surrounding problems with people?
If just ignoring them then what happens?? I actually noticed that it can lead to situation where the same problems will repeat itself again though with different people in future.
can there be another possibilities?

So, thats where I am now with journey... every time the process before starting recording melody is as follows all is this way that I have to solve...
1)...the obstacles in surroundings which are purely psychological. without this clearance cant continue.
whatever if its caused by others or from the past. It must be cleared.
2)...technical things
3)...overcome over my own inertia which is psychological barrier eventually
3.1 ) composing arranging
4)...facing with software problems while creative process?!? Back to square 2. (yes it causes inertia again)
5)...facing with technical run-time problems while creative process?! Back to square 2.
6)...interruption experienced while doing music? Well, then it means problem solving (back go square 1).
7)...composing, arranging, composing arranging, composing arranging

Its to me more like plane ignition checklist every day before
beginning with music. This way I also notice if I am composing
music in peace or I am actually trying to hide myself from the problems behind creative process, and thats worse.

Perhaps to someone other are not psychological problems a big
deal, but to me its important (as it has more importance to me what is inside actually) to solve all of them and not to
push on and postpone them to deal with them later "if having time". And in the first 2 years it took 90% of my time after I got more psychological attacks from surrounding.

Note,there is not mentioned anything about effects, compressors, mastering or mixing, thats coming after the third day. Very Happy Someone other perhaps starts with compressors...

SO, my understanding about music learning if there would be "Madtracker 2 complete reference and tutorial vol. 2", then it must include not only compressors and music theory but also the psychological side and economics. well, in music college there are lectures about economy to rock musicians but perhaps not at all about these psychological issues which I wrote here. Guess why? THEY HAVE NOT COMPETENCE IN IT TO TEACH THAT!

@Souleye:
A great tip indeed. The hatch is indeed this that we seek someone who may give advice but in first case we have no idea that there is more than one choice. So if the first suggestion is negative then we tend to think thats it, no other way.

And thats also a very true -- believe what you want to be. Exclamation

Last edited by SX001 on Thu Feb 10 2011 18:42; edited 5 times in total
View user's journal Send private message
SoulEye
Beta-Tester

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10 2011 18:26    

I'd say many of the issues you raise are not musicrelated. They are about social dynamics, and human psychosomatics. When you look at it that way, there's a SEA of litterature on it.

For motivation, you can check out Tony Robbins. For most of the psychological stuff, you may have to dig deeper - but in that same field (self improvement and social skills).

I have these discussions OFTEN, but I prefer not to make them public (at least not in length), as they require a certain amount of trust in order to be effective, and I'd rather speak 1 on 1. Also there's the time issue. Time is pretty scarce nowadays.

If you want to talk, my skype name is magnuspalsson.
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
SX001

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11 2011 09:14    

oh yes thank you.

SoulEye wrote:
I'd say many of the issues you raise are not musicrelated. They are about social dynamics, and human psychosomatics. When you look at it that way, there's a SEA of litterature on it.

to me its a part of music becouse these problems I face when dealing passionately with music which did not existed before...

well, I would not be writing here if there would be sea of books about "psychology for artistic passionated persons". There are a 99.99% of books but ONLY if man wants to have a life "as others", or in other word has only following worries -- selfesteem, work/boss, school, homework, women/men, child. But thats nothing one of my area, been-there-done-that already and I have readed them. Smile

Yes, some of my fellows deal with music too, but rarely, beocuse I hear from my fellows more often "help!! how to pick up girls??" instead of "how to start again in music?" while their piano are covered by dust already.Wink So what happens next is that I listen/read and give recipes hilariously and make a new tune later but still my problems arent solved.

And the MOST IMPORTANT --- there is no such psychology books if we go to lifes edge -- about dedicated passion and love to hobby! Correct me please if I am wrong here with a literature list of atleast one book. Someone? There is nothing which will say what someone needs to know if being __highly passionate__ in one area (whatever from music and electronic to sports) and needs support in order to avoid the impact with others in "normal" world!
This kind of literature I need actually, but no finds about music area in this way. So that problem list what should be solved would be the following actually:
avoiding social relations impact, knowing our own speciality, maintaining reality check, the
activities influence to health.
Honestly mostly even psychologs and psychiatrists dont know and are rejecting it and setting passionate peoples needs under the question -- thats why there are no books. It is only understandable to OTHER artistic dedicated persons, but we dont write the books. Smile
So far my help has been -- other highly dedicated and passionate persons. Talking with them really helps yes but only if they have thought about those problems and havent hidden these behind music... Smile

The nearest to me was actually Mike Oldfields "Changeling" biography where he writes quite enough and this was a some sort of "this I know well too" surprise.
Also some articles in local Kultur newspaper sometimes but thats all.

Quote:

I have these discussions OFTEN, but I prefer not to make them public (at least not in length), as they require a

yes, becouse often its considered a way private problem.

But to me its not secret anymore since I have seen that there are many with the same problems but start talking only after I take a word. It seems more like all have faced it but sitting in quiet and thats the second forum where I am the first to talk about the EXACT same thing.
Is it more like a "men dont talk about soul" thing?
(at the same time check the other forums and in real life women talk actually with problem in group which are to men considered a way tooo private (also women talking in their own have absolute open-mindness)).

If I want to know something and I am totally alone with my problem then how I know someone with similar experience if all are sitting quietly? Its just the question who says the first word that other will begin to speak.
Sitting in silence wont help.
Also in forum it can actually solve these problems in some sort of "brainstorming way".

Quote:

Also there's the time issue. Time is pretty scarce nowadays.

thank you.
papa bear
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17 2011 11:00    

wow.

i really don't know what to say. i really didn't intend on a philosophical discussion when i wanted to know if i was getting better, but damn i'm impressed.

you guys have given me a lot to think about, and not just with music ... but with life, itself.

thank you Very Happy

he who does not continue to learn, has learned nothing ...

d|^..^|b

http://johndoe007.bandcamp.com
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SX001

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17 2011 12:54    

papa bear wrote:
wow.

i really don't know what to say. i really didn't intend on a philosophical discussion when i wanted to know if i was getting better, but damn i'm impressed.

you guys have given me a lot to think about, and not just with music ... but with life, itself.

thank you Very Happy

Thats the result if life is music. To me.

Just post more music.

and todays tips:
you can hear from someone "there is more in life than music", but this means actually distractions from music itself.
SoulEye
Beta-Tester

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17 2011 13:27    

Some of my life advice:

Strive towards independence.
Trust yourself.
Never stop learning.
Don't take overly negative OR positive feedback too seriously.
Attach nowhere.
Seek mentors.
Enjoy what you do.
Give love, and you shall receive it.
Don't judge.
Seek happiness and beauty.
Give people the benefit of the doubt.
Be honest. Always.
Be respectful, especially when you can get away with not being it.

And look for these traits in others.
Golden_Vampire
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17 2011 15:38    
success with music

Very Happy My worst nightmare is going from being a hobby musician where people see ur music as ur hobby..... to where people are so obsessed with you that they live or die according to how ur music career is progressing.....

i guess that happens to people like eddie vedder or kurt cobain. people always say becareful what u wish for. And u never know what goes on behind the scenes of the biggest international music artists.

ive found that my music creation is a fire, and the bigger the fire the more satisfaction i have with the final product. and fame and adoration for ur music is throwing flammable liquids into that fire.

it seems to me that handling massive levels of fame is a terrible responsibility. because if ur fans idolize u above anything else in their lives, and u come to realize that human hearts are deeper than the oceans, ur in charge of more than their lives. u become their journey into fame! And with fame comes MASSIVE WEALTH and POWER.

u decide if they live, if they die, if they get sick, if they get rich, if they get beautiful. all of a sudden ur a God! or THE GOD.

or if they take on the most dangerous and treacherous and torturous but brilliant thing imaginable - FAME..... be it small fame, medium fame, or worldwide sensational paparazzi tabloid smearing fame

I heard that once u get in, u can never get out. I think thats true. The public love a star. But the love of big stars for smaller stars. Its scary beyond what the public could ever want to do to u for wanting to ending ur stardom.
SoulEye
Beta-Tester

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17 2011 16:04    

"Please don't put your life in the hands of a rock'n'roll band, would throw it all away"

- Oasis (Don't look back in anger)

I'm not exactly sure what you mean all the time. Your text seem to be caught up en emotion rather than rationale. I'll say this though: If you want freedom in your creation to do whatever, then TAKE that freedom, and do it EARLY. Set a precedent. And then proceed with integrity.
D Vibe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17 2011 20:31    

SX001 wrote:
I really dont understand why all focus about sounds if the main core is about music, melodies and harmonies itself?

forget at once the effects (which have actually very less to do with melody), just make music and new pieces -- thats the best way to make music better, much better than effects and compressors. Smile

Uhm, I did not even try to read those massive text blocks you and souleye has written in this thread. Too much text and too little time; I do have two kids and a day job to take care of.. Very Happy

Anyway, I did not say that the melodies and harmonics were any wrong. I did not say that the production and arrangement was wrong. All I said was that if I would produce this tune I would use a compressor "to fatten it up a bit". That's all. Only a matter of taste.

Personally I think that the production, arrangement and atmopshere in a tune has an equal value in the finished 'sound package' as the melodies and harmonics it self. That's my own taste, and for me to keep if I want to.

Cheers.
/Daniel

https://www.dvibe.se
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
SX001

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21 2011 12:07    
Re: success with music

Golden_Vampire wrote:
Very Happy My worst nightmare is going from being a hobby musician where people see ur music as ur hobby..... to where people are so obsessed with you that they live or die according to how ur music career is progressing.....

well, it means that you are slave to them if you adore something a way too much.

How many of those die-hard particular certain musician fans you know? And how it is when they are no more teenagers?

But but but.. there are another view too. If you are artist
and you have the need to make music, but the listener is cold to make its own effort...
So far I have seen that mostly the public is interested to grab music they like, but dont want to give itself something. And if cant get with ease, then just can live without it too.
When you realize this leeching, you will be disappointed very quickly.

But those who are in 30 then mostly they "dont have time" and dont care about it actually.

well, music maker is responsible about fans health? taking this way it seems that there are a way too many irresponsible on earth? BECOUSE...
* There are some music stars who are actually
produced. Result of the combination of 45 year old songwriter (the real producent) and 18-year old singer as a muppet on the stage. Or behind the stage is another singer and on the front there is only lip syncing. The case is about money as all other "products" and they dont care about fan base no more than it has money, becouse all those 101
artists has common producer. well, by the way... in England its about Stock-Aitken-Waterman for example although their time is over.

And the list goes on. You can name all of those engineers who try to develop a product which can hook the customers and to be dependant on it. Thats called pop music industry, movie, books, video games, consumer electronics, computers, software. And on the top of it are banks and your government which try to get you on the hook as much as possible.
SX001

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26 2011 19:47    

SoulEyes recommendation "take a independence and early" is very right...

Anyway just one thing more.
About time and independency.

I asked from one older co-worker fellow "do you play even now some instrument when you are at home?"
Answer was simple "No, I dont have a time, I have a wife".
Surprisingly EVERYONE understands this, but sadly it is NOT understandable if the situation is opposite! (-- I mean not to have a wife/kids becouse dealing with music).

Have someone wondered about it? WHY it is not understandable opposite way?!?
If someone just asks from me "Do you have a wife/kids?" and I answer "No, I want to deal with music" then surprisingly no one understoods this. No-one says "oh I understand". The very usual reaction is setting my own interest under the question (-- "just aband music"). They dont even usually want to listen explanations. Instead of it they try to reorganize my life even and recommending to seek women (cool if being still 19 year old still and hearing this?).
Only a few will understand that having family takes its own time which could be for music instead.

So, surprising...
I started to think about their question and the one situation what I faced was actually really sad. Its just like that --
If I would follow the advice (--abandon music, get a wife/kids), then I dont have anymore time neither for my own, never for my music. WHO would benefit from it?!? NOT ME.
Its not MY own will! I am no longer a horny teenager anymore.

And its NOT exciting and fun if a way too many are asking "Got a wife?" NOW while I haven't at all got chance to live my own dreams -- music.
It must make curious that why I did not heard that
question while I WANTED, but I hear now while I dont want
anymore...? With a humor --
all things which are secret or just prohibited will be later
recommended or even "must be" in order to be accepted in
majority?! Beer, coffee, strong alcohol, wife, kids.

Let me see... if I am singel then I have all the time for me, no no wait, the soul needs its own time too... 2 hours.
So, about work... the free time is just 3 hours! Let me explain.
What if work is close, but not exactly the goal?! Then its
so that we live in these spare hours and work hours are actually just a "dead time" for us. It consumes our mind and make us tired mentally when we must do something which are not what we really want. So, we are just living to ourself only after work. depending on you it takes 2 hours after work for the body and mind to "take together" itself. JUst like recovering from its day. but its only in total loneliness. ANd then 1 hour left, time to start madtracker!

So... back to topic.. about these 3 hours...
But in this situation where you havent lived your life up to your dreams, and you will follow recommendation to get a family then well, you have no time anymore to THINK about yourself as it (wife+kids) takes all your time from the moment you return to home. I just am wondering how someone can get in this situation -- that you have 3 hours free time after job -- to get a idea to get a family if havent got a chance to live even HIS OWN life?!??
Hello! Do you copy me?!? YOU have not lived your life accordingly to your own dreams but now you have not even a time for yourself -- workslavery and work slaves production! only those who are NOT in that cycle, are living ...
how many have thought about it? actually not. becouse majority dont have a chance even to recover from a day, problems keep occupied. so, no chance to take a look how looks like LIVING actually ...

so back to that slavery cycle..
Who would benefit are actually governments -- of course everything is just this TRAP where you have not your own free will over your time, but also over your mind that what you think becouse you will be kept occupied. also it takes time to recover...

In order to break that cycle you have to make active goal,
But who has time to think deeply about his OWN needs if body does not get a chance for peace and info flow attacks at home again (TV, and "other duties")?!? In order to get to know yourself you must not hide yourself in activities.

Do you sacrifice these hours to deal with what-others-expect-you-to-do ? Or actually just be on your own and use it for your own to move towards your dreams?

But what about this situation -- I have barely time for myself after work and then little about my music? So, it means -- for a bigger development music needs to be work or just to have a part time job. But family even then needs extra time always. So, if I just have 3 hours in a day after wok then just 1 hour is usable.
Just now I can do a little bit my music, but have a family at the same time? NEVER with a __fulltime__ job!

So, in other words -- when man gets his own life then has
actually more freedom, and has possibilities to change
surrounding with his activity. But that freedom is fragile -- coffee,alcohol, beer, girls, kids will keep you busy!

Of course family takes its own time and requires attention and its totally different topic but its about prioritizing -- just check around wikipedia, all those big and still active artists and producents have divorced many times. But who says that they have a normal life "as others"?

If someone did not understand then I finish this what
Hans Zimmer also said in one joke
Son to father : "When I will be adult, I will be musician"
Father answer: "no my son, you cant both".
Wink

So, i accept that cant have a both when I go deep in the music.

and... what about other new lives if havent lived my own dreams even?
But I dont make family until I have not reached my dreams. If making before then its worse than death -- i will not benefit that workslavery which is for wife and kids.

Last edited by SX001 on Sat Feb 26 2011 20:15; edited 2 times in total
SoulEye
Beta-Tester

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26 2011 20:07    

If you know what you want, then follow your dreams. The musician life is quite different because we don't conform to the mold. That is what enables us to become what we want to become and people will then love us for it in turn.

Just be sure you know what you want, and ask yourself regularly what it truly is that you want.

http://www.souleye.se
SX001

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26 2011 20:21    

SoulEye wrote:
If you know what you want, then follow your dreams. The musician life is quite different because we don't conform to the mold. That is what enables us to become what we want to become and people will then love us for it in turn.

Just be sure you know what you want, and ask yourself regularly what it truly is that you want.

oops, i re-edited already 2 times. these edits were
minor add-ons.

thank you. yes... sure,
man must ask regularly from yourself. and it does not happen
if being busy...
Music, of course that is what I want, only one thing -- the
goal must be in detail.

well, if I would only know what it exactly is, then... what would happen, would be something big.
Vantek
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10 2011 13:58    

Some interesting discussion going here. I figured I'd share my somewhat different opinions.

SX001 wrote:
I really dont understand why all focus about sounds if the main core is about music, melodies and harmonies itself?

forget at once the effects (which have actually very less to do with melody), just make music and new pieces -- thats the best way to make music better, much better than effects and compressors. Smile

I disagree 100%. Melody and harmony and rythm is important, but to me amounts to absolute zilch without the right kind of sound. You can take one of my favourite tracks which I think has utter genius melody and rythm, but if you give it an even slightly different sound which doesn't fit in my opinion, it very quickly becomes completely worthless.

Do not get me wrong. It's not about good sound and bad sound. But it's about sound that fits. It goes both ways. I know multiple examples where I really like a version of a track that has incredibly primitive lo-fi MIDI sound. Then I find that this track has also a version with a much "better quality" hi-fi sound with fancy effects... and I do not like it at all.

Sure, having incredible technical knowledge about all the fancy effects and techniques accounts to absolute zilch unless you can play with melody and rythm. But if you can play with melody and rythm, it amounts to a lot. It gives you a much wider room to what you can do with melody and rythm. Of course you shouldn't get obsessed with sounds and fancy effects and such, but you shouldn't get obsessed with melody and rythm either. Melody, rythm, sound - all these three are imperative.

Actually, sound is kind of even most imperative IMO, because you can make a track that I like playing only with rythm without having almost any melody, and you can make a track that I like playing only with melody with an extremely crude rythm... but the sound has to be right, always. Not good, not high quality, not fancy, but the right kind. Wether it's incredibly fine-tuned proffessional sound that fits this track in my opinion, or 8-bit 16-bit MIDI junk.

And sound is the one thing that you can intentionally study. I cannot imagine how you can really study melody and rythm. Melody and rythm is about feeling, about imagination, about intuition. How can you study that in a technical way? It has to come on its own. But sound is what you really can study, where you really can improve. Because of that it is not surprising to me at all that all discussion about music is centered on sound and effects. Because for rythm and melody, what is there to discuss? This is not something you can grab off of the conveyer belt, you cannot put it into words and formulas.

Of course, all of this is utterly just my own personal preference. It is very much possible that indeed someone has a taste where the sound matters very little, and a track with melody and rythm that they adore will sound good to them with almost no matter which sound. It is possible that someone has a taste where it is possible to come up with the good rythm and melody based on principles and formulas that can be put into words. I was just sharing my completely subjective opinion for fun, I hope you don't mind.

papa bear wrote:
practice practice practice.

Based on what I just said, it's not hard to predict what I think of this... You said this in response to melody. I do not think you can practice or force melody in any way. You have to wait for the melody to come on its own. You can find time for yourself when you feel comfortable and alive. You can eliminate problems from your life which would preoccupy your mind and prevent the inspiration from striking. But then it is up to the good old chance to actually bless you with that inspiration. You can create a best environment for inspiration to strike, but it is up to inspiration wether it strikes or not. And until it does, I don't see how you can practice melody.

As I said, I do agree you can practice sound. Personally though, it's very hard for me to do this intentionally solely for the purpose of practice. I can only find the motivation to work with technical details and effects when the melody and rythm are boiling inside me and forcing me to try to find a way to pour them into the right kind of sound.

Again though, just my own completely subjective opinion. It is possible that someone has almost always the inspiration inside them to create melody and enjoy it, or that they can conjure it up out of thin air (in which case I madly envy them!!!). It is also possible that someone enjoys working with sound even if they don't have melody and rythm boiling inside them.

About the talk about following your dreams and not letting anyone hold you back... In some ways I emphatically agree, but in some ways I might disagree, I'm not sure what you have in mind. Bottom line, I would always stay touch in reality, and I know most people have trouble with that. All is completely agreeable if you are making music just for yourself because you enjoy it. But if you start forming beliefs about what external goals you can achieve with your music that are simply not true (which people very often do), I don't think anything good will come out of that.

This is the only thing in my post so far that I do not think is completely subjective Razz I think it is an objective truth that people who stay in touch with reality end up being happier in the long run. This might mean accepting an unpleasant truth here or there, but it also means that you never get crushed when the truth you were escaping from finally catches you, and it means that from the start you concentrate on things that you really can achieve.

For an example... Well, I'm not a very good example because I'm not so enthusiastic to begin with... But... Am I capable of becoming a highly popular artist entertaining millions of people and earning millions of dollars? The answer is, it is possible I guess but very clearly extremely unlikely. That is the answer for pretty much everyone. If someone sincerely believes this, 99% of the time they end up with crushed hopes and dreams. It is not a good belief for anyone to hold until proven otherwise. Am I capable of becoming a moderately successful artist entertaining thousands and earning a living off of it? Well, that is within realm of realistic possibility, but still it would be a bad bet to actually count on it. Maybe a 5% chance? Again, it's not beneficial to believe that it will happen. Am I capable of becoming an artist entertaining a small group of people here and there and making a small buck in the process once in a while? Haha, well that's definitely doable, I could probably get there by the end of the coming summer if I really put my soul to it. But, it's also not that glorious of a deal and I might run into financial and motivational difficulties etc.

However the key question in my opinion is this. Is it possible that all my creative efforts are 100% justified? That whenever I feel an urge to do something creative, then I should give way to that urge? I don't think it's possible, I think it's guaranteed. Already the joy of doing what you like is more than enough of a reward. If I felt like living dirt poor but being able to concentrate on creative work was a sweet deal, who on earth is to say otherwise? If you are doing what you sincerely like and feel happy, what else confirmation do you need? Forget about success, forget about money, these are just tools we use to reach happiness, but if you have a better tool sitting right in front of you, the ability to engulf yourself in the joy of creativity right now, right here, then for god's sake do not let anyone persuade you to give up this unique excellent tool in favour of the traditional but small and ineffective ones. This is what matters, and this is what should be enough. Just do not form erroneous beliefs about objective reality in the process.
SoulEye
Beta-Tester

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10 2011 14:39    

Some valid points there. We all have to live in reality. But reality is really subjective. I think you're reacting to what seems to be delusions of grandeur where someone think they should be on top of the world when they are clearly not, and that's very different from doing what makes you happy and "keeping on keeping on" towards your goal in the hope/dream of becoming something some day.

If someone read your last post and thought "Well... Shit. I guess I should face it, I'm no good at this. Better not go for it", which I think is easy to do, then not only have they misinterpreted your original intentions, but also made for a tragic case of potential greatness that was lost. People become what they believe they will become, and if outside influence hinders them from going for and reaching their potential, I consider it a disservice. If I were in such a position that my immediate surrounding social circle were dissuading me, I'd change friends immediately. Ask ANY person who has had success if they had to overcome social pressure from non-believers.

I was watching some TV from Donald Trump the other day and one line uttered was "The amount of success a person has can be measured in the size of the pack of critics he has". It stirred some thought in me.
The critics aren't part of the solution, nor are they the problem. They can be easily identified as they're quite direct. The problem lies in indirect influence from people who get others doubting their own resources and faculties.

That said, I'm now going to practice making 8-bit junk melodies in order to take over the world and become a pimped out chiptune billionaire with ten models hanging from the chandeliers of my own Las Vegas penthouse hotel before I become president of the USA, single-handedly cure cancer, find the fountain of youth, reverse global environment problems, and make every person in the whole world happy. I estimate it will be done in.. oh... 6 months. Wanna team up?

http://www.souleye.se
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 2 of 6 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next