Forum
Music talk
 getting better? ... new track
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
SoulEye
Beta-Tester

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13 2011 12:59    

Oh and speaking of releases, I just released PPPPPPowerup! yesterday! Check out my newly remade site: www.souleye.se

How's that for marketing?

Smile

http://www.souleye.se
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
SX001

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14 2011 22:11    

SoulEye wrote:
Oh and speaking of releases, I just released PPPPPPowerup! yesterday! Check out my newly remade site: www.souleye.se

How's that for marketing?

Smile

yes, thats nice.
View user's journal Send private message
SX001

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14 2011 22:20    

by the way...about dreams, development and getting better.

Yes its quite difficult to get time, becouse its monday again and after job at home again, but
...how much time we had TODAY for _creative_ process today which is about melodies and arranging? (mixing, EQ and compressor and effects tweaking time does not count of course!)

BUT... how many of the thread readers here ...
...can actually read the notes? More than in C major? In ALL scales?
...play the piano accordingly to the notes? More than in C major?
...just have exercised piano or some other instrument today?

So, what we can make to get time for creative process at first? And then to get time for keyboard playing exercise and then for music theory? (Hint! You dont have not even an hour that time when you have job todo, wife and kids).
You cant be adult and musician at the same time.

And when its clear, look then to the EQ and plugin tweaking so much as you like -- you have realized already that its just a very tiny amount of the skills needed to do music!

So, focus, every day, reserve time.
How you actually plan your time for music creative process?
But your time for music learning?

[the point of my post was to wake up you -- "Do you really know how big the music is?". Its NOT just about wishing to be famous and tweaking electronic equipment and thought that these 3 chords are all what I need. Its not enough.]
D Vibe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16 2011 20:15    

I sincerely don't hope that any of the text written here is about me in any way. You simply don't know anything about me, my life, my musical skills OR my technical skills.

OR what I need to be inspired to make soulful music.

If you in any way has written this because you actually think you know me because of some preconcepted theories, then get a life. Seriously..

/Daniel

https://www.dvibe.se
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
D Vibe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16 2011 20:17    

SX001:
Btw, why don't you write some musical criticism about the track here instead of getting philosopical about how shitty it is that people values the technical side of music aswell as the musical one..?

SX001

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17 2011 09:56    

Lets say so...
If I would give to you (not you, D Vibe specially, just anyone) a 40 books a 'la "beginners music course" in a real life do you... (select one choice)

a) take it as a insult that I dont respect your knowledge,

b) you say "thank you for new material, I want to learn more and more. So now I have a compass which shows direction"

c) "interesting! Although I know it, I want to see how others do teach. I never underestimate a theory book I havent readed."

so?!

So the same thing here -- if someone got understanding that my rant here was only in order to bash, then I repeat -- it was only in order to say that there is much more (which you have ignored) if you want to develop in music. It was meant more to get your attention in musical details too. But the truth is harsh, it cant be "softened".

And hey, who else have also experienced this kind of feeling what I had 2006 --- "what a fool I am, I have so much equipment and so nice keyboards, but my music knowledge is so low that I use so little of the capabilities..." ?
Try!
in order to get this you just need to go to library and browse harmony theory and piano course and
TRY atleast to play it on your OWN keyboard and on your lovely synths you love. It ends up quite frustrating, but actually very educating feeling when realizing your limits that how low it can be.
Actually no-one likes to realize that he is a fool
and to hear that its very low, but hey... this time you make it this way YOURSELF ... so no-one to complain except you yourself...
Yes, we dont like to feel a fool, but why so many of us likes to be fooled ("yes yes its a good thing?" to hear?!?)

Well, FIRST time trying this it can be frustrating. So, not recommended to those who might get an urge to drink 250g after this and have a need to drive home. Smile

D Vibe wrote:

I sincerely don't hope that any of the text written here is about me in any way. You simply don't know anything about me, my life, my musical skills OR my technical skills.

OR what I need to be inspired to make soulful music.

If you in any way has written this because you actually think you know me because of some preconcepted theories, then get a life. Seriously..

/Daniel

D Vibe, I dont know about your background and I just first time checked your www site. Welcome I can say, I have also quite much equipment as you have Very Happy: Very Happy

It was actually surprise that you reacted as there are well.... I guess there are ATLEAST hundreds more who could write such a complain just like You wrote here (and including me if it would be a year 2006). Wink And nobody of those does not like to see yourself in a mirror.

Well, its a fun to deal with equipment and sounds, but then we dont talk about music and forget all about finishing something.

D Vibe wrote:
SX001:
Btw, why don't you write some musical criticism about the track here instead of getting philosopical about how shitty it is that people values the technical side of music aswell as the musical one..?

well, you are provocating and I dont accept it.

about criticism --
that I wrote already in my first message in this thread -- that piece needs more musical development.
its not at all so perfect that it needs only some better knob tweaking in mixing/mastering.

Also how many of those are capable of receiving the suggestions and critics while actually just have began with music? Then its not so good actually to hear "thats a good background but I feel the main melody is missing as arpeggios arent the main melody itself." After the 10th track then I would actually tell more.

But naah, I am beginner too as I havent dealed with music not even a decade.
D Vibe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17 2011 17:32    

SX001:
Since I'm not a beginner (been playing instruments and making music since late eigthies), and knows quite lot about music theory, and have a well developed philosophy how I like music to be developed, I would say thank you for the book and give it to someone else.

Welcome to you too, since I've been here for more than three years than you have Very Happy.

About critism; you should find it provocing, since I don't like people who complain about others but don't give a shit to make an effort to take it to another level themselves.

.. plus I liked the track as it was.

Part of my philosophy btw is that you can't make "faulty" music. I think that music are feelings, and since feelings can't be wrong, than music can't be wrong either.

Also, about production of a track. Compare it to a script for a movie or a theatre; if you have a lousy actor who plays the theatre, you will also have a lousy result (or if you say like this, the feelings of the script won't be transmitted to the audience in a good way) even if you have the best script in the world. Nothing is better than the weakest link, if one can say like that in english Smile

/Daniel

papa bear
User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18 2011 06:22    

D Vibe wrote:
SX001:
Compare it to a script for a movie or a theatre; if you have a lousy actor who plays the theatre, you will also have a lousy result (or if you say like this, the feelings of the script won't be transmitted to the audience in a good way) even if you have the best script in the world. Nothing is better than the weakest link, if one can say like that in english Smile

very well said ...

personally, i think everybody's right here ... and your analogy is perfect.

you could have the perfect script, plenty of finances for special effects, and everything else you need, but if you don't have actors who can act, the movie will suck. same thing goes for the script, and every other part of the film. each plays their own role in the production of it. if one falls short, there is no amount of "editing" that you can do to make it better.

it's a fine balance ... the melody balances with the production, which balances with the technical parts of the music. everything plays together.

heh ... i'm slowly learning each part.

he who does not continue to learn, has learned nothing ...

d|^..^|b

http://johndoe007.bandcamp.com
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SX001

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18 2011 08:51    

D Vibe wrote:
SX001:
Since I'm not a beginner (been playing instruments and making music since late eigthies), and knows quite lot about music theory, and have a well developed philosophy how I like music to be developed, I would say thank you for the book and give it to someone else.

then why you got so touched before as beginner who is in tweakville?!

Quote:

About critism; you should find it provocing, since I don't like people who complain about others but don't give a shit to make an effort to take it to another level themselves.

oh yes, so better is to say next time "yes yes its very good" or to be silent if not having the complete list of improvement suggestions in detail?

Quote:

Also, about production of a track. Compare it to a script for a movie or a theatre; if you have a lousy actor who plays the theatre, you will also have a lousy result (or if you say like this, the feelings of the script won't be transmitted to the audience in a good way) even if you have the best script in the world. Nothing is better than the weakest link, if one can say like that in english Smile

/Daniel

ok, go on tweaking your compressors if you say so and find it amusing.
SX001

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18 2011 08:52    

Well, enough said from you all too?

(Besides I have seen movies which has all strong items inside, but wait wait, only script is weak and it makes to look like film is based on effects and actor names only.)
So, beautiful sounds and perfect equipment does not save the poor song itself.
SX001

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18 2011 13:10    

papa bear wrote:

it's a fine balance ... the melody balances with the production, which balances with the technical parts of the music. everything plays together.

only one thing --- our music itself has to be at some certain degree BEFORE we can talk "balances with the technical parts" in sounds, mixing, compressor or mastering.
But so far we aren't musically not even close to this kind of level!

@D Vibe:
C'mon, it needs a very good piece of music where You could say "it just needs little bit compression/EQ/filter adjustment to be even better".
Well, just imagine how big music really is and how many topics it covers, and if you can only say "well, adjust just compression" ... you must be kidding actually like the actual piece is a masterpiece already in musical way...Smile
So, we are in situation where our technical skill levels, equipment and possibilities are better than our actual musical skill level.
But so far this kind of "I need just adjust a compressor little bit" I expect to hear only a very musically talented guru who has no obstacles concerning musical skill level.

Last edited by SX001 on Fri Mar 18 2011 14:42; edited 6 times in total
SX001

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18 2011 13:10    

(double post removed)
SoulEye
Beta-Tester

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18 2011 13:42    

I'm unsubscribing to this thread now. PM me if anything comes up.

http://www.souleye.se
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
D Vibe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18 2011 18:06    

SX001 wrote:
D Vibe wrote:
SX001:

then why you got so touched before as beginner who is in tweakville?!

Quote:

oh yes, so better is to say next time "yes yes its very good" or to be silent if not having the complete list of improvement suggestions in detail?

Quote:

/Daniel

ok, go on tweaking your compressors if you say so and find it amusing.

I'll go on writing music and tweaking compressors since I find them both of equal value. It's all about musical philosophy, my friend. Nothing is wrong, it's just a matter of personal taste.

One thing though, I did not say that you should say "yes yes, it's fine" if you don't find it fine. On the basis that you didn't find it fine though, does not mean that I didn't find it fine Smile.. And still, I haven't seen any tips from you how she/he should refine the tune; or should he/she just throw it to the waste?

Happy composing/tweaking everyone, the main thing is to have fun while making music.

/Daniel

Edit: Oh, and btw, I did not find it touching if you did not talk about me. I do not like preconcepted thoughts about others though, so if it WAS about me, then I'm touched; in a negative way, since you don't have a clue about who I am, or what I know.

D Vibe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18 2011 18:13    

SoulEye wrote:
I'm unsubscribing to this thread now. PM me if anything comes up.

Alright Smile

Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 5 of 6 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next