Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
papa bear
User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19 2011 07:13    

D Vibe wrote:
she/he

... he ... "papa" bear Laughing

SX001 wrote:
only one thing --- our music itself has to be at some certain degree BEFORE we can talk "balances with the technical parts" in sounds, mixing, compressor or mastering.
But so far we aren't musically not even close to this kind of level!

i have to disagree. i may be the odd one here, but the way i learn new programs or arts, is to dive right in, and figure things out for myself. as far as concepts go, there really is no "learn this first" topic or subject. i take everything in as a whole. as i proceed with my learning, if there's an aspect i want to learn more about, only then do i separate it from the entirety of what i'm doing. it's like learning how to drive a car. you need to learn how to steer, along with signals, acceleration and braking, etc ... you wouldn't get behind the wheel of a car to learn to drive, and say "today, i'm going to work on speeding up". you'll have to stop and turn at some point.

of course, when learning how to drive a car, you've got to know the basics behind driving. you can't just get in and go. personally, i feel that's where music theory comes in. if you don't know any music theory at all, you're not going to be able to compose music. is that alone going to be able to make you produce quality music? of course not.

i think everything here that we've discussed here are tools - from the use of VST's and compressors, to theory, to practice, to personal routines ... everything here sits in our toolbox. it's the artist's decision as to which tool to use on which piece of art.

he who does not continue to learn, has learned nothing ...

d|^..^|b

http://johndoe007.bandcamp.com
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SX001

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19 2011 12:57    

well yes, tweaking is a lovely and cool. But only one thing ... with this kind of tune what you made your technical level is more than enough. Thats what I meant. And good enough for next 10 releases atleast.

But we really underestimate music importance -- find atleast one thread in this forum where someone would make suggestion which is music related. Actually all so far are pure technical issues and about tools itself! So does it shows that we have only technical issues limiting in these releases? Are we just after sounds and equipment?

well, good luck.
View user's journal Send private message
Vantek
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24 2011 10:46    

I think that's because of how I mentioned earlier in this thread, it is extremely difficult to even put into words let alone discuss and analyse music itself, melody and rythm itself. It's all about intuition, your own "gut feeling". It cannot be expressed to others in any way except actually turning it into music. And even if it could, there would be little to discuss, because it's just subjective preference. I can say I like this and you can say you like that but that doesn't change anything. I will continue to like this and you will continue to like that and that we know each other's preference doesn't help either of us.

Technical details however, can be discussed. "Do this and this and see if you like it". It can be easily expressed and there are results to this discussion.
SX001

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25 2011 13:28    

Quote:

I think that's because of how I mentioned earlier in this thread, it is extremely difficult to even put into words let alone discuss and analyse music itself, melody and rythm itself. It's all about intuition, your own "gut feeling".

Look, technical things and tools are a preference too (fasttracker,madtracker,impulse tracker, analog or digital hardware, samplers or formant generators etc..), and yet we are talking about it, but NOT about music? When I do mixing then I adjust too accordingly "gut feeling" and not counting the dBs per octave about filters.

So -- my speculation its so becouse most of here just CAN'T so much about music, but at the same time there are quite many who grabb the minimum about technology and equipment becouse it seems fancier.

If I would start analyzing in detail one existing music piece then I am totally alone. And those who can... well, I guess they are more offline than online.
But ask about which tools or sounds to use about some existing song to get "that sound", then voila - there will be some answers and interest about thread.

Well, look in piano players forum. They aren't having discussion ONLY about the pianos, its pedals or chairs. There are also questions about playing and music itself, training.
Vantek
User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26 2011 01:22    

Talk about training is much more similar to technical things than to actually discussing music itself. Can you actually link me to a couple of discussions about music in the way you have in mind? I myself also frequent a guitar forum and I have seen zero, literally zero talk about music itself the way you seem to have in mind. Simply there is nothing to talk about. It just cannot be expressed in words in a meaningful way. I mean you can just share your opinion and say things like "nice relaxing tune" or "I would have liked some more progression of the melody", but really, that's just chit-chat and it's unlikely to actually improve something. Technical stuff is the only thing where talking about it actually has clear results and improves your skill, that's the reason why it's talked about instead of music itself. With music itself, communication occurs by actually just playing and listening to the music. Words are useless.
D Vibe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26 2011 19:19    

SX001 wrote:

So -- my speculation its so becouse most of here just CAN'T so much about music,

Hey, now your out on deep water or thin ice, or what you prefer saying. You simply don't know what your talking about now...

https://www.dvibe.se
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
SX001

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31 2011 11:38    

D Vibe wrote:
SX001 wrote:

So -- my speculation its so becouse most of here just CAN'T so much about music,

Hey, now your out on deep water or thin ice, or what you prefer saying. You simply don't know what your talking about now...

thats not at all deep. It could be deep only if my opinion would count to someone. But until it does not matter to anyone what I think then well... even your text here above to me is irrelevant here.

So, whats your point?
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 6 of 6 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6