28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 7

papa bear
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24 2011 10:46    
IDM - what's it mean to you?

"intelligent" dance music ...

i had a conversation a while ago with a friend about what IDM is exactly. my response to that question is this: anything you want it to be. IDM started out with artists expanding their horizons. it can be downtempo, jungle, jump, ambiance, anything really. it's music that is appreciated as much on the dance floor, as it is sitting in your living room listening to your headphones. it makes you think.

IDM is what you the listener make it to be. lots of artists frown on the term IDM because it makes people think that other music is "stupid". i couldn't disagree more. the only "stupid" music, is that which takes no talent or skill to make. my 2 year old makes music with pots and pans. his brother makes it with spoons on a book. anything is music, and can be considered music.

it's "intelligent" because we as people make it so. we are the ones thinking. we make what we hear, into what we see. IDM is more than music. it's something to put into your head and as the listener take part in what is being created.

i like considering my stuff IDM. i personally would rather sit down and listen to it, and paint my own pictures with the music, rather than getting onto a dance floor and shaking my butt (... ok tha'd be a whole lot of shaking, and i'm pretty sure i'm banned from shaking my butt in about 4 or 5 countries).

what do you guys think? am i way out of line or incorrect?

he who does not continue to learn, has learned nothing ...

d|^..^|b

http://johndoe007.bandcamp.com
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Golden_Vampire
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04 2011 09:47    
opinions of music

i like what u say.

its like, if u like some music that someone wrote, u like something about them that they have expressed.

whether its a feeling or attitude or some insight that they were able to detail in their composition.
View user's journal Send private message
CHICAGO¤lollie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20 2011 13:46    

I consider "IDM" to be a rather large blanket term for electronic music that doesn't fit under other genre names too easily. I don't know what genre I'd call Boards of Canada's work, or Chris Clark's work, etc. I think you're right in that it ought to paint a picture for the listener, and have them think about what's actually going on in the track.

To that point, I like the irony in "intelligence dance music" not really being all that danceable.

View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT + 1 Hour