Forum
Music talk
 What makes a track 'commercial'
Reply to topic Post new topic  
QBical

PostPosted: Thu May 15 2003 18:21    
What makes a track 'commercial'

eyz,

Listen I was looking at the 'the most crap music you ever heard' topic and I thought it might be a good one to discuss with you this:

How do I make a track commercial?

And this to today's pop standards, I mean I've been working with my ( rock ) band on getting discoverd and it's quite difficult, so is there a formula or something?

I guess, that it has something to do with a track being easy for the listeners, but not to easy otherwise it won't last long because it gets anoying to soon.

So, any idea's?

( and please don't reply with commercial music sux, I just want to find out if we madtracker producers can think of what is neccisery for a commercial tune )

Grtz

PC: P4 HT 3ghz, 1gb ram, 500GB+ Storage, plextor DVD-rw, M-audo Audiophile 2496
Laptop: Apple Powerbook G4 15inch
Other Stuff: Phonic MU802 mixer, Alesis M1 Active Mk2 Monitors, Ipod 2nd gen. 20GB, maxtor firewire HD 80GB
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Thu May 15 2003 18:29    

From what I like in commercial music, it sometimes turns out to be a combination of standards and a refreshing component.

Example: Shy FX - Shake It: groovy destiny child vocals with fluent drum 'n bass beats and salsa-components.

For other things, a really catchy lead melody makes the main difference. It should surprise people, but still give the feeling of being totally new, such as Foo Fighters Learn to Fly.

But in the end, I guess no theory can help you with this one. You just need to run into that one special melody, influence or sound that will kick your song skyhigh above the gray masses.

A good learning school might be found in scandinavian countries: they are known for their excellence with commercial music. I forgot their names, but there are two men that make most music for Britney, 'n Sync, Backstreet Boys etc (and Jamai and Jim! Very Happy). Another good source of perpetual catchy sounds are the Neptunes, but I really like these guys (even when they co-op with Justin).

Inge

Care for a game of Monopoly?
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
TNK / ATK project

Location: Village-Neuf, France (Dont's search on the map, it's tiny...)
PostPosted: Thu May 15 2003 21:05    

Hello !

>How do I make a track commercial?

Do you mean commercial in the sense "So that I can make lotsa money of it" or in the sense "So that (almost) everyone will like it" ?
The answer depends on what aspect you want to developp (As strange as it might seem, It's by far not enough to make a track everyone will like to make lotsa $$$ out of it).

>And this to today's pop standards, I mean I've been working with my ( rock ) band on getting discoverd and it's quite difficult, so is there a formula or something?

I think there are only formulas to write...crappy things. Everyone has to come up with his own formula, but there are a few things that I think will always work (unless the big radio guys decide otherwise) :

- A melody that gets immediately to your head and sticks there for hours (altough this already led me to a contract cancellation...).
- Something that seems both new and well known (that's the hard part of it...being original is easy : any randomly composed song is ! But being both original and give the feeling of being "on common grounds", that's difficult!)

>I guess, that it has something to do with a track being easy for the listeners

Definitely. It must be that track that everyone will remember in a party, for any reason. It just must give the feeling this has something more than the other tracks have.

>but not to easy otherwise it won't last long because it gets anoying to soon.

Not sure. Many of the easiest to remember melodies made timeless hits. Exemple : "Born to be alive", written in 1973, published in 1979 (this guy spent 6 years hunting a record deal with such a big hit!), and still played in almost every party I know !

I personally noticed that the riffs that worked the best were the ones that took me as much time to compose than to listen to. It must be something both evident and fresh at the same time. Not easy to do, I know.

Ah, and there's another trick : If it doesn't come immediately, shut the tracker down and wait until it comes. A struggle to write a hit will never become a hit.

Regards,

Switzerland : #1 earthquake provider! (Bootyshakin' Willhelm Tell ?!?)
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Vile
User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06 2003 01:59    

Comercial track is a track that "must" beat all the charts, sell good and make people love this band. I see that these chartbreakers sound the same - there is some "Formula", right?
Though, my music totally sucks(That thrash-industrial really sucks), but I write it ONLY to listen! I'm not sellin' my music al all! If I would sell it, I would write something more usual and Pop-related(remember metallica).
Traditioal music give the most money. If original music gave such money, we would hear some original, but crappy material.

-------------------------------------
LaRD iN CHoCoLaTE iS THe SouRCe
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT + 1 Hour