Forum - Hello everyone / 2021
 Forum
General discussion
 Hello everyone / 2021
Reply to topic Post new topic  
BeatMax

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27 2021 14:58    
Hello everyone / 2021

Hi I hope everyone is ok during these crazy times. I finally bought some hardware to play with. I still use Madtracker but to be honest I tend now more to MIDI related DAWs like Ableton. Here is some recent work by me:

https://soundcloud.com/user-837984592-61685320/magnitude

Stay safe and creative!

BMX

-----------------------------------------------
B E A T M A X
Madtracker-Tutorial - Personal Releases
http://beatmax.madtracker.net
https://soundcloud.com/beatmax_prediction
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
D Vibe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15 2021 15:36    

Hey, 10 months later..

I miss the old Madtracker days Wink ..

I never use Madtracker any longer, or any other modern tracker either. If I do tracker things, it's with the oldschool Protracker.

For modern stuff I use Cubase but also often Caustic 3 (which is a mobile daw).

I think it's cool that this site is still online though, mainly for archive purposes for me at least. I would still be interested in a modern tracker though, especially if it was enclosed in an VST Instrument. I never really liked Renoise.

My stuff is available at my homepage, but also on my Youtube channel. Homepage: https://dvibe.se and YT: https://www.youtube.com/c/dvibeswe

Working on a new homepage at the moment. Released soon.

Home from work at the moment, being ill. It's quite ironic that I've barely had a cold since the restrictions started about 1,5 years ago, but now when it's no more, I got an awful cold that my head and body don't want to deal with. Very Happy

Working with IT nowadays btw. I studied IT (Network- & Systemadministrator) at university back in 2015-2018 after being in industry work (welder) for about 10 years..

/Daniel (a k a d vibe a k a c-frog back in the days.. :S)

https://www.dvibe.se

Last edited by D Vibe on Fri Oct 15 2021 15:52; edited 1 time in total
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
D Vibe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15 2021 15:41    
Re: Hello everyone / 2021

BeatMax wrote:
Hi I hope everyone is ok during these crazy times. I finally bought some hardware to play with. I still use Madtracker but to be honest I tend now more to MIDI related DAWs like Ableton. Here is some recent work by me:

https://soundcloud.com/user-837984592-61685320/magnitude

Stay safe and creative!

BMX

I saw your happy new year 2020 post, where you posted a Youtube video. It's private now though.. Sad Got any link to your Youtube channel? Will checkout your soundcloud, but I'm not really into Soundcloud Razz

SX001

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16 2021 12:17    

Hello D-vibe

D Vibe wrote:
Hey, 10 months later..

I miss the old Madtracker days Wink ..

I never use Madtracker any longer, or any other modern tracker either.
If I do tracker things, it's with the oldschool Protracker.

can you describe "how were the old Madtracker days" and write longer? Please! (It would be interesting and amusing to read . I am quite sure no one would protest)
(So far to me all is the same, just using more equipment with MIDI in a Madtracker, many racks and synths).

why not to keep the all older setups and machines as well? Wink Now I keep everything after I discovered that the things which went garbage 15 years ago, I will miss later -- just like reel tapes and cassettes.

also it is possible to develop the retro software -- to retro platforms (and also the hardware). You know there are also the new clone soundcards.

interesting (Interesting in a sense about
toying around with thoughts) -- not using MT "becouse it is old" perhaps? well, it cant be becouse MT is old, as Protracker is older.
Mostly trouble is that the human being gets old real fast,
becouse mostly we started using trackers in a very sensitive
age (12..14..15 ) and habits changed a lot since then,
but in a unfortunate times along with rapidly changing
morale and manners from bad to worse...

in a technology times it seems somewhat dream -- screen is big and takes much less place, no whistling HDDs, also it is possible to develop itself the ISA and PCI bus soundcards , but mostly I miss the community where people had firm handshake and manners, children had no need to lock the bicycles, and it was safe to walk everywhere. Time when 10 "ostfrallas" cost less than 10 kronas.

Quote:

I think it's cool that this site is still online though, mainly for archive purposes for me at least.

Me too. And the best part is --- it still makes older
www-browsers usable on older computers.

Quote:

Home from work at the moment, being ill. It's quite ironic that I've barely had a cold since the restrictions started about 1,5 years ago, but now when it's no more, I got an awful cold that my head and body don't want to deal with. Very Happy

ironic? it is october. it is normal time for common cold.

restrictions... the whole thing is fishy! Now, one more restriction is that it became one of the taboo topics (just like climate swindle or other sensitive political topics) now which is almost impossible to discuss _unless_ it just confirms the "correct" opinion (-- i.e. same as official mainstream). So everyone who even asks "wrong questions" will be called with nasty names as he does not follow the cattle. And it applies to anyone. Very Happy Very Happy
THe censorship in a world scale, where they also apply censorship to medicine scientists is utterly weird! These persons - scientists - would be much more competent to talk about it in my eyes, not politicians or journalist-instant-experts. And again scientists would not be the ones who
should be insulted by calling them deniers or whatever..
Why it is so important that no-one would object or question these political decisions but follow them blindly so much that there is difficulties even for scientists?!

Well... This is the plot, which in the long past François Mitterrand talked about -- to get "excuse" to inject something into humans, as means of the population control... and it is happening right now. Also with double standards (as there are groups who are exceptions about vaccination mandate).

Now what is happening is totally illogical -- borderline checks were just interested what people have in van and where are you going, but having no interest about temperature measurement even. For some "people" apply the mandatory checks, while for others not (like virus would know the difference if you are resident or not while returning to Sweden).
A year ago in northern Sweden the banks and bigger shops
began to use this virus as excuse to avoid cash payments. Which is still irrelevant by the means of virus.

the whole thing reminds to me 2009 dec - the hystery about the pig-flu, remember that? the same hystery, and real fast arriving vaxx (normally it takes 10 years to develop). But of course, it was not a threat at all, however very strange things were discovered in a vaccine.

So, people could do what they wish (if they still have right to choose)... but I refuse to believe that THIS vaxx is for humankind protection.
It is not the cause of nature.

In the past those people who said that there is a plan about enforced vaccination or vaccination passports were ridiculed, but now as Overtons window shifted, it is reality and sheeple forgot that warning anyway. But there is more to come, but it is not bright future with great freedom. Its becoming worse unless sheeple will protest.
View user's journal Send private message
technoid
Regular

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20 2021 05:30    

Hello guys. It's a miracle that I still remember my login here, heh. I rarely use Madtracker nowadays, so if anything, I just listen to people's MT songs that I download from here. I wasn't really into composition anyway, even back 15 years ago when I first arrived here. Perhaps just a really a tiny bit of performance dabbling via a MIDI keyboard connected to MT2. These days, I dabble in Reaper, but that itself is somewhat rare too until I get some more time & inspiration. And apparently Madtracker3 is pretty much dead... or really slow progress, nothing really happening in a decade there.

And cool composition, Beatmax.

Happy belated 2021 & Happy premature 2022. Smile

~techie
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail
BeatMax

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20 2021 23:27    
Hi Again

I am glad someone here is still using this forum. Good to see that you are well and safe it seems. I still do some music with Madtracker but I mus admit I really enjoy using hardware for creating music (e.g. the Microfreak is a really neat synt). I really enjoy Ableton and its possibilities.
BTW, there is a hardware solution for a tracker which is called "Polyend"-Tracker. Kind of a "Standalone"-hardware solution.
Also thanks for listening to my tracks. I am glad you like them. Stay safe and creative. Glad to hear from you all.
Best wishes!

BTW, I am into IT too. IT QA experience for over 15 years now Wink

BMX

B E A T M A X
Madtracker-Tutorial - Personal Releases
http://beatmax.madtracker.net
https://soundcloud.com/beatmax_prediction
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
SX001

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07 2021 12:54    

technoid wrote:
And apparently Madtracker3 is pretty much dead... or really slow progress, nothing really happening in a decade there.

No wonder, and we can forget it -- it will never be released, becouse it has no documentation about source code. It is ironic to call MT3 "open source" but not adding documentation for this ca 100 000 line source. Doing this way it can be self explanatory this way to Yannick, but without documentation it is rubbish for new developers and teamwork is not possible. Also if drilling through this spaghetti, I see it goes more and more painstaking later to debug it and the more time goes, the more tasks will be for bugfixing than developing until halt.

Thats the reason why such one-mans-projects get abandoned - - solo coding, no documentation, doing some trick coding too. The creator has no need for the documentation as he is close to his project, but after he quits, for other developers it is just a mess without documentation.

So, what happens is this -- the next one instead starts from the scratch instead -- so, re-invents the wheel. But he repeats the same cycle as his predecessor if he does not document neither of his code for the next generation. So, even that one will be useless.

So it has been countless times with these things with released source code. Just look how many trackers there are like FT2 clones for this proof. None of them complete. Bugs inside as "features", many of them. None of them has the documentation. Just like having no documentation is the developers infamous bad habit -- github is a proof about it, where 99.99995% are done in a such ugly way.

If there would be atleast one tracker developed with ideology as "if not documented, it does not exist", then this would be atleast first stepping stone to develop something without reinventing the wheel, also more time will be spent developing new features than fixing bugs,
and it will be more teamwork. In this case it would be possible to make the totally new thing and features (like porting for older systems or adding interface for new soundcards under the DOS)

So, I would like to be in developer team too, but never in a such team where is missing documentation, solo coding, or "selfdocumenting code".
technoid
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08 2021 06:00    

SX001 wrote:
No wonder, and we can forget it -- it will never be released, becouse it has no documentation about source code. It is ironic to call MT3 "open source" but not adding documentation for this ca 100 000 line source. Doing this way it can be self explanatory this way to Yannick, but without documentation it is rubbish for new developers and teamwork is not possible. Also if drilling through this spaghetti, I see it goes more and more painstaking later to debug it and the more time goes, the more tasks will be for bugfixing than developing until halt.

No one really knows what has happened to Yannick. Busy? Who knows. Yet, this website is still around.
What exactly were the features meant to be implemented in MT3? I recall Yannick asking us here which source development site he should pick. I did tell him one suggestion but I ferget which one. I'm sure that thread is around here somewhere.
In hindsight, perhaps Yannick should have stuck with 1 or 2 more updates to MT2, if there were any glaring or tiny problems that needed to be fixed. Consider them final fixes, be done with it & move on with life. That would have perhaps given us version 2.62 or 2.63. Nothing huge, but still an important fix. Otherwise 2.61 was indeed the point where he moved on & MT3 was a path that should have not been taken. About 15 years has passed & new similar programs, or updated versions, for music making has since been created. Not just that, but also in hardware. So there really is no more point to MT3. I believe there is a modern FT2 clone (by 8bitbubsy) but I have yet to try it, so no clue if it's any good or buggy.

~techie
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail
SX001

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08 2021 08:23    

technoid wrote:
development site he should pick. I did tell him one suggestion but I ferget which one. I'm sure that thread is around here somewhere.
In hindsight, perhaps Yannick should have stuck with 1 or 2 more updates to MT2, if there were any glaring or tiny problems that needed to be fixed. Consider them final fixes, be done with it & move on with life. That would have perhaps given us version 2.62 or 2.63.

With this development without project and documentation it is reality -- the bugfixing/updates becomes a drag as it will be more and more time consuming. Also can happen this -- fixing one thing, something else breaks down.

Quote:

modern FT2 clone (by 8bitbubsy) but I have yet to try it, so no clue if it's any good or buggy.

that "modern FT2" one is developed in a similar habit -- no documentation! So it gets same bad fate as other trackers --- abandoned one-mans-project where no-one else can develop it really.

Just now it's like cut-down version of tritons FT2 dos version. Becouse no MIDI support (and claimed there will be none) for this, requires much modern platform and latest billg compiler for source.

Also his (actually he got tritons source code) FT2.10 version for dos is no good -- he cut out Gravis Interwave support, instead of fixing it. Sad

But something else went broke too after this.
so I ended up using 2.06 and 2.08 versions simultaneusly.

So, MT2.6.1 , despite its hibernated development, is a way over the head of its other "FT2 for windows" clones. Modern or not. Very Happy Where else you get such things as VST2, asio, multi-wave outs, multiple MIDI port out, rewire, full mod-s3m-xm cross compatibility, and -- it also runs under win98se!! and having all these requirements. --- all this is in MT2.6.1 at the same time. So far I havent found anything like this in other programs or which really works under win98se too for now. (yet I'm dreaming about its DOS version with same features (hey, there can be custom hardware now)).

Something is missing in other clones or it is on stickers but real buggypileon instead. Also even if the group of trackers users are tiny community (compared to sequencers) the developers ignore these users request and instead of it they are having a big factory mentality. Thus, hilarious to ignore the fact -- the retro computers users are not running their software on latest windoza "trends".
D Vibe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16 2022 14:01    

technoid wrote:
SX001 wrote:

No one really knows what has happened to Yannick. Busy? Who knows. Yet, this website is still around.
What exactly were the features meant to be implemented in MT3? I recall Yannick asking us here which source development site he should pick. I did tell him one suggestion but I ferget which one. I'm sure that thread is around here somewhere.
In hindsight, perhaps Yannick should have stuck with 1 or 2 more updates to MT2, if there were any glaring or tiny problems that needed to be fixed. Consider them final fixes, be done with it & move on with life. That would have perhaps given us version 2.62 or 2.63. Nothing huge, but still an important fix. Otherwise 2.61 was indeed the point where he moved on & MT3 was a path that should have not been taken. About 15 years has passed & new similar programs, or updated versions, for music making has since been created. Not just that, but also in hardware. So there really is no more point to MT3. I believe there is a modern FT2 clone (by 8bitbubsy) but I have yet to try it, so no clue if it's any good or buggy.

I think that the point of MT3 was that it was going to be modular but with the tracker interface available as a sequencer.

Perhaps a bit like Buzz was, if anyone remember? Smile

8bitbubsy is great! He has also made a Protracker2.3 clone and also a new Protracker 2.3 version for the Commodore Amiga (called 2.3F).

I rarely use trackers at all nowadays, only for retro purpose really.

Speaking of that, here's a little teaser I made the other day, featuring C64 (MSSIAH), Atari ST (MaxYMiser), Amiga 1200 (Protracker), Caustic and Cubase.

https://youtube.com/shorts/M8Zgh8Ie0zs

Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT + 1 Hour