Forum - a bug or not a bug?
 Forum
Bug report
 a bug or not a bug?
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27 2003 18:07    
a bug or not a bug?

I'm not sure if this is intentional or if it can be called a bug even. It's not a big thing, it doesn't affect the operation of madtracker, but...

When I right-click a channel in the oscilloscopes or in the pattern view, to make it active for recording, and then click the key jazz box, making it inactive, the selected channels don't work as they normally do anymore. Meaning, if I now start jamming around with my PC-keyboard, the sounds don't play in the channels that are selected by the white dots, but instead play in the channel where the edit-marker is. Makes no difference if I play the pattern and/or go into recording mode, the notes I hit only drop down in the channel where the marker is, not in the channels that are selected.

As I said, it's nothing that affects the function of MT, as long as you know it's there. Smile

btw. Running WinXP these days, and just so you know, this doesn't seem to be a CTFMON thingy, I tried both with it running and without.
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27 2003 20:10    

One thing for future posts: CTFMON should *always* be irrelevant, since it is fixed in the latest versions. Whatever you do, don't blame it on CTFMON (in the sincere trust that Yannick fixed it properly Smile)

Inge

Care for a game of Monopoly?
Sonitus
Beta-Tester

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27 2003 20:54    

I'm going to use one of the older versions instead of the new one. I like ctfmon. It becomes more of a challenge to make music Cool

www.sonitusmusic.com
www.myspace.com/sonitusswe
www.vibraonline.com
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Jesse Moore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27 2003 22:14    

MyztiQue wrote:
I'm going to use one of the older versions instead of the new one. I like ctfmon. It becomes more of a challenge to make music Cool

you must like self-torture. Smile)

"The world would be a dull place if there were no Idealists"
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27 2003 23:29    

Inge wrote:
One thing for future posts: CTFMON should *always* be irrelevant, since it is fixed in the latest versions. Whatever you do, don't blame it on CTFMON (in the sincere trust that Yannick fixed it properly Smile)

Inge

true, forgot about that completely Embarassed

think I'll go the MyztiQue way alsoand install v2.1 or something, don't want things to work properly from scratch. Razz On the other hand, I did have to go through 5 hours of forum browsing, faq reading and registry hacking in order to get the optical output of my soundcard working properly under winXP, so maybe I've had enough torture for this round. Very Happy
Jesse Moore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28 2003 01:12    

Sunbuster wrote:
Inge wrote:

Inge

true, forgot about that completely Embarassed

think I'll go the MyztiQue way alsoand install v2.1 or something, don't want things to work properly from scratch. Razz On the other hand, I did have to go through 5 hours of forum browsing, faq reading and registry hacking in order to get the optical output of my soundcard working properly under winXP, so maybe I've had enough torture for this round. Very Happy

so... Mystique isn't the only one... either that or I'm not picking up on your sarcasm.

"The world would be a dull place if there were no Idealists"
Martin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28 2003 11:59    

Sunbuster: Whats "optical output"?

Smile Martin
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28 2003 15:10    

Martin wrote:
Sunbuster: Whats "optical output"?

Smile Martin

the s/pdif output of my soundcard is optical. Meaning, instead of converting the signal to analog format and sending it as an electric current over a pair of wires, the signal is transmitted using light, and thereby stays digital all the way to the reciever, resulting in a better signal at the other end since light fibres don't get affected by interference from other cables. Wink
Martin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28 2003 21:11    

cool! Very Happy What kind of soundcard is that?
Sunbuster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28 2003 21:43    

Aureal vortex2 SQD is what I have. The card is out of production now, since Aureal got bought up by Creative. Also means that there's no real driver support for the card Sad XP has some drivers built in, and they work well after you patch them up with a couple of files that some hardcore user has made.

But most soundcards these days have a digital out of some kind (coax or optical), so I'd suggest looking into those instead if you're in the market for one, skip Aureal.
Martin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28 2003 22:17    

Thanks for the advice, but I`m not currently looking for a new soundcard. I just didn`t know that optical connections were available for pc soundcards, and was interested in hearing about it. Smile

Can you actually hear the difference between a more traditional setup and your current optical setup? I`m guessing that one would need a pretty nice audio gear to take full advantage of a optical connection between the pc and the amp!?

Martin
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28 2003 22:55    

Martin: the same old mastering song:
No, I guess you won't hear the difference if your analogue line out is balanced to a proper signal/noise ratio (most a-bit-more-high-end-cards have balanced -96 db analogue line outs) and if your amplifier and connecting cable are worth anything.
Yes, I guess you will hear the difference if you use the digital in & out and proces the files heavy afterwards. I, for instance, create promo's and commercial for the tiny humble voluntary radiostation where I do my things, and you will hear differences at the end stage when you recorded voices from minidisc if you compare analogue to digital sampling. Little noise means little interfering particles, which is a major pain in the ass when you do heavy voice compressing/enhancing.

Whether you need it yourself or not depends on your work that you do with your soundcard and audio files. I specifically bought my terratec with digital in/out for the reason mentioned above.

Kind regards,
Inge

Care for a game of Monopoly?
Martin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29 2003 10:19    

Thanks for the info Inge. I guess I wont be needing a optical setup for some time myself, however it is always fun to learn something new. Smile
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT + 1 Hour