Suggestions
 MT3
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Goto page 1, 2  Next
EKK
User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17 2003 22:38    
MT3

So i know whats going to happen after this post, cause ive been using madtracker since like 98-99. I ve also been waiting for MT3 a very very long time, what is it 2.5 years overdue? Anyhow i was pateint for a while, but I bought a nice sound card last year, aark 24, its got great asio drivers, but doesnt work to hot in MT2, crashes regularly, and no VST. I love the set up of MT2 but ive decided to bite the bullet and registered Renoise last week, ive got some problems with it, but theres a team working on it, and they have the things a proffesional program needs. You know even with the poor experience ive got with Renoise, the songs sound so good cause i can use VST instruments.
Basicly ive given up hope on MT3, theres only one person programing it(and hes done a wonderfull job with MT2). With every 2.xx update, it seems more like a clue that MT# is not going to happen. Any time spent on MT2, is time not spent on MT3. Ive seen people say that it will be released "in our lifetime"? give me a break, does that make anyone feel better? In the past ive been unable to accept the set back in production and time lost to the learning curve of a new program, but ive come to decide that im now wasting time not doing it. If MT# does come out im going to be excited, and certainly going to update my free 3.0 version. But one of the things that keeps a tracking program alive besides the developer, is the trackers. If trackers quit using it it dies, and im quiting.
When i consider Yannicks position, and relate it to my own life, i dont blame him if MT3 doesnt come out. The older I get, the less time I have. I assume Yannick has a "real" job, one that pays the bills, and a life outside of Madtracker. MT3 may very well have shifted to the back burner, if not removed from the stove completely. And thats fine. I just check this thing every week or two to see if theres any news, and there seem to be 2 types, people who are whinning "whens MT3 gonna come out" or people who just keep waiting and deffending the delay.
In closing I must say that MT2 has been at the root of my music for 5 years now. I considered it to be the best drum machine and sampler there was. Every track started in MT2. And ive told people who know me how thankfull I am to Yannick for making this program. I would love to see it continue, but can no longer wait. If there is a MT3 in the works, but maybe not to be completed, i offer this suggestion,(which would probably make it the most amazing tracker ever), make MT3 and open source program. Maybe available to a small group first to get it working.
Confused
View user's journal Send private message
Yannick
MadTracker Author

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18 2003 00:10    

EKK wrote:
I considered it to be the best drum machine and sampler there was.

And it's still a good drum machine & sample I beleive. And I think it does its job pretty well...

You wrote your post as if you were announcing a divorce. Wink I know it's getting long to wait for MT3, but nothing states that you cannot explore other softwares that suits you better than the current MT2.
I'm the first to suffer from the lack of time I have to dedicate to MT3 - so I don't really need to be reminded about it. Razz

All I can tell you is that I'll do my best to make MT3 worth the long wait and able to evoluate for many many years.

Yannick
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
mikx

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18 2003 05:50    

i would like to just ask one thing though; how far are you from completion? i.e. which features have been done, and what still needs to be done? (or is that strictly too confidential?)

Cool
mikx
Yannick
MadTracker Author

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18 2003 08:56    

It's not a matter of confidentiality.

There are many things to put in MT3. And I don't know how many of them I'll put before the first release. The first release may not have the piano roll, mid file support, etc. (just examples)

I know that I've done a lot of work already - with the graphical engine, the global architecture of the program and so on... I have made plenty of work that won't be directly visible by you (the users). And doing that kind of work is a bit hard since you do not "see" a lot of improvements like you'd see when you improve a part of the interface or make the engine sound better for instance.
So I can say that the "hidden" part of MT3 is very functional and almost complete, while the "visible" part is in its early stages of the development.

Yannick
zood

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09 2004 09:02    

2,5 years is a long time, but is it afterall, i'd say 10 years is a long time. I don't think it would be good to rush things too much, Yannick would just get too much stress and go insane and spend the rest of his life in mental hospital.

Or the Mt3 would be released like the new versions of windows... "we have this minor problem in this update that your harddisk catches fire when you run the windows, but it is still important to download this cause we have made adjustments to windows calculator, it knows now the multiplication table and we are now working with the division too and it will be released shortly when we figure out how it works"
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Blaster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09 2004 09:15    

I rather have a fully functioning application instead of something *cough*skale*cough* where half of it's functions are disabled because it's not coded yet.

So I can wait.. I trust Yannick to create a very good tracker.

united trackers
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09 2004 12:22    

Blaster wrote:
I rather have a fully functioning application instead of something *cough*skale*cough* where half of it's functions are disabled because it's not coded yet.

Grin. Skale is already quite functional, but I agree that it is somewhat frustration that a significant part of it is still non-functional.

Yannick: both Renoise as Scale encounter great problems with making all vst and vsti plugins usable in their software, whereas other hosts (all non-tracking based hosts of vst technology) seem to be able to implement vst without problems. Can you already give an indication of what the compatibility of mt3 will be regarding vst software?

Inge

Care for a game of Monopoly?
Yannick
MadTracker Author

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09 2004 13:13    

I'll do my best to have a seamless integration. This is the part of MT3 that will require the most beta-testing I think.

However, since the MT3 engine will be more flexible than these 2 other trackers, the integration should be better.

Yannick
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09 2004 14:23    

Nice!

[bows]

goose

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09 2004 16:48    

I've nothing against VST/I s ... so when I need them, I just use a decent VST compatible sequencer. I also hope that MT3 will be good with VST/Is...

But - I use madtracker for its unique and reliable tracking functions, especially it's Instruments and command-line fx. I just hope that any further improvements to MT3's core benefits aren't overlooked or scrapped in the race to become just another VST host.

This is especially since Yannick has said that the main hidden engine is almost done and that I guess, more usability and interface stuff needs to be worked on. I'd rather see time spent on that, than testing VSTs etc. (not that it's up to me of course!)

Rant over... just my 2 cents Razz

View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Big Mo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14 2004 22:28    

I say, Yannick, take your time. I'm using MadTracker because it is a damn nice program, the only one which is good enough for me to make good music. I am not waiting for MT3, but just using MT2 and when a further developed version of MadTracker is released, I'll just start using it to see if I like it or not. I am happy with MT2 and will never start whining about the slow development of MT3.

Cheers

Big Mo
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Sonitus
Beta-Tester

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14 2004 22:39    

Yannick wrote:
This is the part of MT3 that will require the most beta-testing I think.

I'm here for you, man Very Happy

www.sonitusmusic.com
www.myspace.com/sonitusswe
www.vibraonline.com
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14 2004 22:44    

MyztiQue wrote:
Yannick wrote:
This is the part of MT3 that will require the most beta-testing I think.

I'm here for you, man Very Happy

/me waves hands and is ready to start trying all those cute software plugins Smile

Blaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14 2004 23:22    

I have a BIGGER plugin collection than you j/k Wink

united trackers
Enonimis
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15 2004 15:17    

Oh yeah? Well my plug-in archive* consists of around 6000 bucks worth of Dxi and VST's. And how much of that did I pay, you ask? Heh.

~Enon

*In the spirit of scientific perspective, let's just say that Enonimis' plug-in archive is nearly as massive as his cock.

If you do not agree with my opinions, you are wrong. If you do agree with my opinions you are drunk.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://elrick-enonimis.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 2 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next