MadTracker.org
Forum - The worst music you've ever heard..
Register Register Log in Log in Profile Profile Search Memberlist Usergroups FAQ FAQ
 Forum
Music talk
 The worst music you've ever heard..
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Sunbuster
Registered User


Joined: 05 May 2003
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Wed May 14 2003 22:31    
Reply with quote

true, the chicks in it where not exaclty beauty queens. On the other hand, shouldn't one think it's great that a group of girls could become so succesfull without looking like penthouse girls? Too bad it was with such a crappy tune...
I think what made Las Ketchup so popular was that the tune was so simple, everyone in every little stinking corner pub could sing along, even though they didn't know what the words meant. And they showed how your supposed to dance to the tune in the video, so all the drunk bastards in the local pubs only had to follow the moves, didn't have to come up with own ones... that's my theory at least Smile


btw. sorry Inge, the remix didn't do it for me. Why? because those god damn irritating vocals where in it Shocked Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
TNK / ATK project
Registered User


Joined: 13 May 2003
Location: Village-Neuf, France (Dont's search on the map, it's tiny...)
PostPosted: Wed May 14 2003 23:36    
Reply with quote

Las Ketchup isn't bad neither. OK, the 1st time I heard about this band, I thought "What a stupid name!", but well, I must say their "Ketchup song" is quite addictive.

I don't know your background and what your life is, but a major aspect of my life is my involvement in the local associative life, and I am a part of my town's "entertaining crew". This means, we arrange everything that has to do with entertainment in the town (organising fairs, open-air cinema, out and indoors parties, well, everything that can bring fun to our citizens (last year, we even had an Initiation to Madtracker Smile ...Worked until now (0:30 AM) on the astronomy part of Saturday's youth fair), and I must say that doing this gave me a totally different view on "popular" music than most of you seem to have.

OK, the "behind the scenes" stories of the pop music are not always pleasant. If you saw the TV report "Capital" (a french TV magazine) did on how Gianfranco Bortolloti, an Italian dance producer, works with his "artists", you would know what I mean...(Is Breast enlargement as important as good singing in todays show business ?), but the effect popular music produces on popular audiances is just...wonderful. Everybody, from child to grandpa having fun together under the moonlight is definitely an experience to live.

Believe me, "The ketchup song" is a really partystarter, that gets everybody, from 7 to 77, having fun on the dancefloor (or on the town's main place as we do in summer in Mediterranean countries Smile

That's why, even if am *VERY* critical on how todays popmusic is made (F*ck Popstars/idol and all those madhouseish (Not Yannick!) cover-only projects!) my life experience makes that I can only be in favor of popular music.

That's why I think that the best alternative to Popstars/idol sh*t & other casting+cover "pretty faces" bands is not to puke on popular music, but to make even better one with independant means. And there, madtracker helps a lot (My town's official "summer hit 2003" will not be Universal/Sony/BMG stuff, it will be...one of my MT2s Smile

Regards,


Switzerland : #1 earthquake provider! (Bootyshakin' Willhelm Tell ?!?)
 Back to top
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
TNK / ATK project
Registered User


Joined: 13 May 2003
Location: Village-Neuf, France (Dont's search on the map, it's tiny...)
PostPosted: Wed May 14 2003 23:40    
Reply with quote

Sunbuster wrote:
I think what made Las Ketchup so popular was that the tune was so simple, everyone in every little stinking corner pub could sing along, even though they didn't know what the words meant.


Did you know the words of "The Ketchup song" indeed mean...nothing ?!? It's just a serie of sounds, that I could translate into english as a kind of "Wanna Jamma Gonna Tataa Laalaa Yaya"...

One more proof that a lyricist is not required to write a hit (but a damn good melodist, who can write tracks that grab your ear from the 1st listening, and on that point, the "Ketchup song" composer did a great job!)


Switzerland : #1 earthquake provider! (Bootyshakin' Willhelm Tell ?!?)
 Back to top
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
mikx
Registered User


Joined: 05 May 2003
Location: Melbourne
PostPosted: Thu May 15 2003 04:48    
Reply with quote

really? the words don't mean anything? hm.. i had a look at the single a while ago and on the inside it has the lyrics. the chorus was something like 'asereje, ja, de je.." i figured its some spanish jibberish Wink

speaking of ketchup and d'n'b, i DJ'd a pretty cool party last year, where i had to play lots of pop junk, but i played the ketchup song and after that i mixed 'shy fx - shake your body' into it.. works well i think!! the people really enjoyed some d'n'b for a change.. too bad i had to play heaps of pop music though, although the roof really got blown off when kernkraft 400- zombie nation came on..

Smile
-mikx
 Back to top
View user's journal Send private message Visit poster's website
D Vibe
Registered User


Joined: 04 May 2003
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Thu May 15 2003 08:33    
Re: The worst music you've ever heard..
Reply with quote

TNK / ATK project wrote:
c-frog wrote:
Write your list Very Happy

I vote for Dj Alligator Project, Dj Jean, Aqua and Darude Laughing


DJ Alligator : I don't know.

Aqua : don't mix up with so many bands around : those guys & girl are really top notch ! They do funny humorous music, and were not just marketing products that came out of popstars/popidol.
Their songs were also not only covers...something that gets rare today...

Don't forget most people want to get entertained by music, and when it comes to pure entertainment, Aqua is a top act of the 90's.
Don't forget neither that those guys produced their track themeselves and were not just pretty faces a producer found to put on his tracks.

I think the best review I ever read was about Aqua's Barbie Girl : "The single no one likes, no one wants, no one buys, but that sells 100000 copies / week". This says long about elitism.

Aqua was funny, light, in one word : entertaining. And that's what they were asked to. Bring some lightness in life, accept the part of childhood that still lives in oneself, and you will see life gets much sunnier. So many of todays music does not contain those cool positive vibes Aqua had, and this mainly because catchy music is described as bad music.

Believe me, a society with no catchy & funny music goes...not well...

Say no to elitism, Eurodance rulez !
(If you want, I can tell you how to "simulate" talent to elitist people, I have quite funny stories about it!)

About the worst music I ever heard...hmmm....
Anything that can depress myself, that pulls me down.
This means a huge percent of what is produced today.
Life is maybe not always sunny, it's not a reason to add some more darkness to it.


Well, I've never liked eurodisco (not even the early 90's eurodisco), and I never will! It's my taste, and I'm proud of it Smile

Oh shit! I totally forgot about Las Ketchup. Well, add it to my list aswell!

/Daniel


http://www.dvibe.se
 Back to top
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Walter Vos
Registered User


Joined: 04 May 2003
Location: Groningen, The Netherlands
PostPosted: Thu May 15 2003 08:59    
Reply with quote

Worst music ever for me: 'Bubbling Music'

This is a style of music that only exists in remixes... popular pop/r&b/trance songs with a speedy dancehal beat under it. This was also the worst music I ever máde Embarassed (got so sick of remixes that were offbeat, I decided to make some of my own).

But, you know, I used to do some drive in dj-ing too... and you're right tnk/atk, those horrible tunes really get the people on the dancefloor.


what is hip?

www.waltervos.nl
 Back to top
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Sunbuster
Registered User


Joined: 05 May 2003
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Thu May 15 2003 09:18    
Reply with quote

mikx wrote:
too bad i had to play heaps of pop music though, although the roof really got blown off when kernkraft 400- zombie nation came on..

Smile
-mikx


aah, Zombie Nation, got that tune as a ringtone on my cellphone Smile
 Back to top
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Pjo2000
Registered User


Joined: 05 May 2003
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Thu May 15 2003 12:13    
worst music
Reply with quote

There is a lot of bad mmusic out there Shocked

i have to say though


-Aqua
-Venga Boys
-any ibiza related music
-Scooter
-all those crap 80's remixs
-Vanilla ice
-Christian rock
-Christina Aguilra
-Pink
-Robbie Williams
-Madonna's latest
-TATU (although the idea of russian lesbians seems cool with me)
-Oasis
-Creed
-all that american Pseudo punk blink182 type bullshit that is featured on so many teen movies (foo fighters are ok tho)

is about as bad as you can get, with a record deal.

hehe i may have missed afew out..


pjo2000


http://www.projectoverkill.com
 Back to top
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
TNK / ATK project
Registered User


Joined: 13 May 2003
Location: Village-Neuf, France (Dont's search on the map, it's tiny...)
PostPosted: Thu May 15 2003 12:22    
Reply with quote

In other words, when I follow your thoughts : "The worst music I ever heard is... the one that makes the record industry live".

If the bands/projects you named had not existed in the last 10 years, the whole music industry would have disappeared, as those guys have in common that they were all big $$$ makers. If there is still a record industry, and if it is still possible to hear music - and every style of music - on radio nowadays, it's because of them.

---
Ever asked yourself WHY this music is that popular ?

Some of you will say "Marketing", and it's clear it's a part of the success causes, but is that enough to explain it ? If yes, any randomly choosen song that would get heavy marketing on it would work like hell...and it's a fact it doesn't work that way.


Switzerland : #1 earthquake provider! (Bootyshakin' Willhelm Tell ?!?)
 Back to top
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
D Vibe
Registered User


Joined: 04 May 2003
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Thu May 15 2003 12:39    
Reply with quote

TNK / ATK project wrote:
In other words, when I follow your thoughts : "The worst music I ever heard is... the one that makes the record industry live".

If the bands/projects you named had not existed in the last 10 years, the whole music industry would have disappeared, as those guys have in common that they were all big $$$ makers. If there is still a record industry, and if it is still possible to hear music - and every style of music - on radio nowadays, it's because of them.

---
Ever asked yourself WHY this music is that popular ?

Some of you will say "Marketing", and it's clear it's a part of the success causes, but is that enough to explain it ? If yes, any randomly choosen song that would get heavy marketing on it would work like hell...and it's a fact it doesn't work that way.


I'm not sure what you want, but it seems like you want us to listen to music we don't like because they're keeping the music industry alive?
Although it might be your philosophy, it's not mine! I listen to music because of its music, and not because it's commercial or not.

/Daniel


http://www.dvibe.se
 Back to top
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Walter Vos
Registered User


Joined: 04 May 2003
Location: Groningen, The Netherlands
PostPosted: Thu May 15 2003 12:47    
Reply with quote

TNK / ATK project wrote:
In other words, when I follow your thoughts : "The worst music I ever heard is... the one that makes the record industry live".

If the bands/projects you named had not existed in the last 10 years, the whole music industry would have disappeared, as those guys have in common that they were all big $$$ makers. If there is still a record industry, and if it is still possible to hear music - and every style of music - on radio nowadays, it's because of them.


Oh plz... If only the industry woúld die... Perhaps then we could blow some life into the music again. Away with the ego's, let the music do the talking


what is hip?

www.waltervos.nl
 Back to top
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
TNK / ATK project
Registered User


Joined: 13 May 2003
Location: Village-Neuf, France (Dont's search on the map, it's tiny...)
PostPosted: Thu May 15 2003 13:55    
Reply with quote

I don't want you to listen to anyone except the ones you want to listen. I am not paid by anyone, that's for sure.

It's only a fact that there is a kind of "racism" against popular music that makes it very hard to start when you want to do something in this style.

Small labels will refuse your demo because it is too commercial for them, and major companies will too because you do not look like a top model nor came out of a Real-TV game. In both cases, you are the dumbo...

You say the industry should die...err, the problem is that ANY kind of music would disappear, even the one you like, whatever it is. Radios, record companies,...NEED those marketing products that bring them money in, with which they can take risks on more underground styles (that are not often interesting in financial terms).

So OK, not everything's perfect in the industry (it is by far not!) but atleast, it brings every kind of music to the audiance's ears. Of course, some are more mediatized than others, but still, every style exists.

What I am also saying is that if those groups made so much money it's because...people bought their records. This implies people like their music. Of course, they might be under-informed and not know everything that exists, as some styles are more exposed than others, but still, I wonder if the people would buy more underground styles as massively as they do with popular styles, even with an equal amount of marketing.

Ah, last thing : I have *NEVER* met anyone who admitted he likes dance/eurodance music, but I also *NEVER* saw the dancefloor as full, and the people there having as much fun as when this kind of music is played. How do you explain this ?


Switzerland : #1 earthquake provider! (Bootyshakin' Willhelm Tell ?!?)
 Back to top
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
D Vibe
Registered User


Joined: 04 May 2003
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Thu May 15 2003 14:46    
Reply with quote

I don't want to defend anyone else, but I prefer dancing to music I like, like heavy industry/EBM or something Wink.

Also, why people buy crap music, I do wonder aswell. I guess it's based on the fact there are less genious people than dumb ones. I don't want to claim anyone for being dumb, but some people don't even have a musical ear so they can hear if a song is out tune.

Why do you think people buy so much other useless junk when speaking about other markets (like the shampoo-market). I have an answer for you; commercials. People get blind by them and don't see anything else but that product. You know, even though you don't think about it yourself, you choose a product which you've somewhere seen or heard about, even though you don't know anything about it. Don't you think so ? That's the whole idea of commercials.

So what has this to do with music ? .. Well ofcourse, people buy that music they've heard on television and radio, because they don't dare to waste money on something unknown Smile. The Las Ketchup phenoma for example .. What kind of crap music is that ? I mean, it's no good melody, it's no good production, it's no good text, and they don't even look good! Why the hell do people buy that music? .. Because they've heard it so much that they after a while start to like it. They think "Hey, this tune is cool, I better buy it!". Face the fact!

/Daniel


http://www.dvibe.se
 Back to top
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
D Vibe
Registered User


Joined: 04 May 2003
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Thu May 15 2003 15:02    
Reply with quote

They can't even sing well, btw.


http://www.dvibe.se
 Back to top
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
TNK / ATK project
Registered User


Joined: 13 May 2003
Location: Village-Neuf, France (Dont's search on the map, it's tiny...)
PostPosted: Thu May 15 2003 15:40    
Reply with quote

Hi !

>I don't want to defend anyone else, but I prefer dancing to music I like, like heavy industry/EBM or something .

Of course, you are right on this : listen the music you like. But it is also a fact that there is some kind of "politically correct" to puke on popular dance music.

>Also, why people buy crap music, I do wonder aswell. I guess it's based on the fact there are less genious people than dumb ones. I don't want to claim anyone for being dumb, but some people don't even have a musical ear so they can hear if a song is out tune.

Everyone is more or less out of tune...Some of the considered as greatest singers of all time sing out of tune. Georges Brassens, a very acclaimed french singer (who is far from dance music, believe me!) is almost always out of tune, but who cares...

>I have an answer for you; commercials. People get blind by them and don't see anything else but that product.

But in this case *every* music piece, if properly marketed (= if commercials were made for them) would become an instant hit. So why isn't it that way ?

>You know, even though you don't think about it yourself, you choose a product which you've somewhere seen or heard about,

Of course, it helps, that's why communication is so important. I personally had the occasion to listen to many different styles of music (and by far not only what I can hear on the radio!), but it turned out that what did the best to me was some commercial pieces (I say some, because I don't like - by far! - everything that is played on radio nowadays).

The problem is that this "anti-popstyles" political correctness makes that it is very hard to go through an independant system when you do popish music (and it's also very hard to go through the major companies system for some obvious reasons).

>even though you don't know anything about it.

To know something of it, you must already know what it is. Commercials (and communication in general) is about making people discover what they not yet know. But this can go for anything - and any kind of music in that case.

>So what has this to do with music ? .. Well ofcourse, people buy that music they've heard on television and radio, because they don't dare to waste money on something unknown.

I know. A part of the problem is there. One point on which I agree on what is said by the others here is that I don't like this cover craze that goes around nowadays. For exemple, the "Madhouse" tunes (not Yannick!) : individually taken, they are well produced, well made but...they are all Madonna covers ! Of course, this is much easier to sell : Madonna is a trademark, any unknown "rising star" isn't. I would personally have prefered that those madhouse guys had put their efforts on producing new tunes, that we did not hear before...but probably, even if their style & production would have been the same on origninal tunes, nobody would have signed them...

>The Las Ketchup phenoma for example .. What kind of crap music is that ? I mean, it's no good melody

Well, to my opinion it is : Easy to remember, easy to sing with. Everything that is needed to make a hit.

>It's no good production,

It's not that bad. With a good amp, it gives good results.

>it's no good text,

Who cares ? Music that is made for partying only requires a text so that the audiance can sing to it. You can't convey any deep meaning in a party song, because the topic of a party is exactly to forget ones worries for a while.
And about the text...OK, Las Ketchup's text has no meaning (even in Spanish), but what if it had one ? Most people who danced on it (and on many other latino hits) do not speak spanish...so even if the text came out of a Literature nobel prize, nobody except those who speak spanish would have understood it !

>and they don't even look good!

That's also a point some will agree and some won't. They are quite typical of what Spanish boys consider as good looking girls.

>Why the hell do people buy that music? .. Because they've heard it so much that they after a while start to like it.

Personally, I have heard many styles of music, but for every style I know, I got hooked on from the 1st notes I heard of it...or never got hooked on at all, despite the overwhelming marketing done around some styles I don't like.

>They think "Hey, this tune is cool, I better buy it!".

Don't you rather think that such music creates a certain kind of feeling (happiness, uplifting feeling...) people may like ?

Regards,


Switzerland : #1 earthquake provider! (Bootyshakin' Willhelm Tell ?!?)
 Back to top
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Display posts from previous:   
Page 2 of 4 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group

Copyright © 1998-2005 Yannick Delwiche
All rights reserved