Forum - directions needed
 Forum
Music talk
 directions needed
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Walter Vos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04 2005 16:53    
directions needed

hey guys, i've finally been tracking something i like again, but i'm totally stuck. i've only been working on it for two days now, but i'm always scared to loose the mood. any ideas on what direction to take it to?

http://walterego.madtracker.net/music/rot%20hod.mp3

what is hip?

www.waltervos.nl
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Comatose

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04 2005 20:34    

Bust it wide open. Wink I know it's vague, but to me it sounds like that's where it's going. Hold nothing back.

Comatose
View user's journal Send private message
Walter Vos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04 2005 21:34    

That is vague haha, i'm thinking squarepusher beats could maybe work after the break. But darn, so much work. Ah well, if you want something really bad, you gotta work for it. And i do want to finish this song.

what is hip?

www.waltervos.nl
Inge
Man-At-Arms

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04 2005 21:44    

Walter Vos wrote:
Ah well, if you want something really bad, you gotta work for it.

If you want something really bad, then you should make trance or r'n'b Very Happy

Inge

Care for a game of Monopoly?
Walter Vos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04 2005 21:46    

grrr Evil or Very Mad

ok nice one inge Laughing

what is hip?

www.waltervos.nl
goose

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04 2005 21:58    

Sweet... with a nice drum fill Cool

How about a melodic lead line for starters?

View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Walter Vos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04 2005 22:02    

hmm yeah, i'm scared of getting too cheesy with this tune. I'm try the squarepusher beats first, check his song iambic 9 poetry to hear what i mean. Gonna be a lot of work probably, but i'm always lazy, i should try harder this time

what drumfill are you talking about btw? the toms? all was handmade (programmed that is).

what is hip?

www.waltervos.nl
Comatose

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04 2005 22:11    

Dynamically speaking I think you can expand so much more, thus the busting wide open. Going with what Goose said about a melodic lead line, perhaps a guitar thrown in the mix with some jazzy/bluesy chordal voicings would compliment the song nicely. What I've heard thus far sounds very promising to thine ears. Very Happy

Comatose
goose

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04 2005 22:37    

Walter Vos wrote:
hmm yeah, i'm scared of getting too cheesy with this tune. I'm try the squarepusher beats first, check his song iambic 9 poetry to hear what i mean. Gonna be a lot of work probably, but i'm always lazy, i should try harder this time

what drumfill are you talking about btw? the toms? all was handmade (programmed that is).

The tom drumfill especially at 1:54 when the beat comes back in.

Some squarepusher stuff would always be welcome in the main beat. The snare is a bit thin sounding and a bit widely panned (but ok). By melody, I meant more of a tuneful hook, not neccessarily a cheesy synth line. Cool

View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mephi
User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05 2005 14:20    

That song could really use some singing. !

And.. you should have some sort of break with something totally different too for about 30-60 sec or something

meh = Aximal
http://home.no/aximal
View user's journal Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RainyDave

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05 2005 16:04    

Sounds great! I love the laid-back groove and those sweet'n'crispy drum sounds. Where did you get that sleazy vocal sample?!
I think a big, busy, slightly-less-filtered synth line would suit the next part... and more of those delicious drums... (did you sample those yourself? wow!)

Dave
Walter Vos

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05 2005 19:33    

Thnx guys!

I don't know about the singing, i'd like to try that too (especially since i don't have that many months of studying at the SAE left). But i'm not sure what kind of vocals, what lyrics, and more of that.

The sleazy vocal is from me luv u long time #5, it's from the end of the film, where the cameraman and Nautica (must be over 18 to go here Wink )are having a conversation about cum.

The drums are from the website i posted in the general discussion forum. There are some really nice drumkits there. But the sound is also affected a lot by the amount of wet reverb signal (almost no dry, lot of wet), to simulate distant miking, from the ambience plugin (this is a must have!).

I'll probably get a guy from my school to play an acoustic guitar after the drumbreak, I think that would fit nicely there. Probably this will be some kind of bridge.

Thnx for the replies guys, i'm definitely hopeful and more motivated to finish the song! Very Happy

what is hip?

www.waltervos.nl
Reply to topic Post new topic  
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT + 1 Hour